Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Hargeysa International BookFair (HIBF)

Mooge   

*Ibtisam;974325 wrote:
you only spent $220, stop with all the noise $2000 ku laha!

LOOOOL. alphi balondi, is that true?

YoniZ   

Alpha Blondy;974123 wrote:
the arts should be accessible to all not just a few expats, NGO workers and elite Qurbo-joogians.

Somaliland literature has for far too long been championed by Qurbo-Joogian apologists, whose chronic paternalism has not only completely alienated readers but neutered and emasculated Somaliland based authors. HIBF works with a patronising ‘internationalist’ foggy tokenism, promoting international authors or Qurbo-Joogian authors, whose musings and civilising mission undertones lack context or indeed relevance to the realities on the ground, to the detriment of Somaliland based authors.

conscious cultural critics like myself value grass-roots, organically inspired cultural products, products grounded in real life experiences and not some pre-judged culturally distant stereotype informed by the overarching Qurbo-Joogian romanticist mindset. this mindset not only hijacks Somaliland cultural and literary products for its own ends but more significantly constructs a condescending, cultural straight jacket and stereotypical concoctions to self-aggrandising audiences. this dominant milieu or the prevailing Qurbo-Joogian romanticist mindset is the dominant ideology that inhibits Somaliland-based literature from the mainstream, at least here in the nation's capital.

what i'm proposing here, in my capacity as a conscious cultural critic, is a 'back to basics' approach, bringing alternative and seldom documented experiences into the cultural mainstream; with the intention of shining a light with the aim of uncovering, and authentically documenting, hard to reach cultures and sub-cultures that exist in the Somali-speaking world and in particular Somaliland. these voices should be organically sourced from their own communities (instead of being white, English speaking, off a Qurbo-Joogian romanticist mindset), given the tools and the encouragement to write books based on their experiences and values rather than having a romanticist Qurbo-Joogian ethno-centric culturally biased world-view forced upon them. the most important point is to realise that this romanticist Qurbo-Joogian ethno-centric culturally abusive milieu is the number one impediment to Somaliland authors and readers alike.

This sounds even better than the The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx - I'm with you in the struggle comrade Alpha:-)

Carafaat   

This event has the potential to become the biggest international book fair in the region. Comparable with the size of the Swahili Music Festival on Zanzibar. Ileyn Jabuutiyanku buugaag ma akhriyaan, Habashiduna Af Ingriisi ma yaqanan.

Ibtisam, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading your blog, especially your thought provoking posts about your moved back to SL. Cheers