Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

National Epic

Haatu   

A national epic is an epic poem or a literary work of epic scope which seeks or is believed to capture and express the essence or spirit of a particular nation; not necessarily a nation state, but at least an ethnic or linguistic group with aspirations to independence or autonomy. National epics frequently recount the origin of a nation, a part of its history, or a crucial event in the development of national identity such as other national symbols. In a broader sense, a national epic may simply be an epic in the national language which the people or government of that nation are particularly proud of. It is distinct from a pan-national epic which is taken as representative of a larger cultural or linguistic group than a nation or a nation-state. Thus, Beowulf can be the national epic of England, yet England is part of Western civilization and thus also subscribes to the Iliad and Odyssey of Homer and the Aeneid of Virgil as pan-national epics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_epic

Being a nation of poets, it was surprising for me that I couldn't find a national epic for the Somalis? Does anyone know of a poem that might be it/come close?

Haatu   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;960577 wrote:
Any of Careys Ciise Kaarshe's saars can be considered epic, national or not. As a Reer Waamo, I am surprised you didn't consider this

I'm half reer-waamo so I'm excused. Horta wasn't saar a dance mise the poem that's recited is also called saar?

Saar waa ciyaar, waa suugaan, waa ruuxaan. Sometimes all done together, sometimes separately individually. Marka qofka saar laga tumaayo waala ciyaaraa mar mar, waxna waa lagu aqriyaa. Saar waa dhaqan Reer Koonfur Galbeedka, from Bakool, Gedo, Baay, Jubboyinka to NFD, gaar ahaan Ceelwaaq iyo Mandheera.