Sign in to follow this  
BiLaaL

Fasting is good for your brain, contributes to better health

BiLaaL   

Apart from the obvious benefit of following the Sunnah of our Prophet SCW and gaining ajar; fasting twice a week (Mondays and Thursdays) or three days each month (consecutively or separately) brings with it tremendous health benefits. I'm sure we all know about these health benefits but some of those mentioned in the article below and in other studies include: a reduction in blood insulin levels which is associated with Type 2 diabetes as well as cardiovascular problems among other benefits.

As Muslims, our fasting shouldn't be based on such incentives as we should be fasting for the betterment of our nafs and to gain the pleasure of Allah Subahanhu wa Ta'aala. But it is still good to know that science has finally caught up with and validated (not that one was necessary for us to believe in and follow the Sunnah of our Prophet SCW) a long-standing practice in our deen.

The following hadeeth encourage fasting on Mondays and Thursdays:

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Deeds are shown (to Allaah) on Mondays and Thursdays, and I like my deeds to be shown when I am fasting.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi

The following ahaadeeth encourage fasting on three days of each month:

Abu Qataadah may Allaah be pleased with him narrates that the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam said: "[Fasting] three days every month and [the fasting of] Ramadhaan to Ramadhaan are [as good as] perpetual fasting." [saheeh Muslim]

It was narrated that Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me: “If you fast any part of the month, then fast the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi

It was narrated from Jareer ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fasting three days of each month is fasting for a lifetime, and ayaam al-beed are the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i

PS - Note that the alternate fasting method discussed in this study involves some calorie intake such as beverages etc. Given that benefits were derived from such limited fasting indicates that the regular Muslim-fasting which involves zero-calorie intake would bring even greater health benefits.

http://hub.jhu.edu/magazine/2012/summer/dont-feed-your-head

BiLaaL   

Not really. Our fasting doesn't involve any calorie intake between sunrise and sunset so there is no reason why you couldn't enjoy your iftar at the completion of your saum. Also, the benefits are cumulative so the more regular your fasting (according to the prophet's scw practice of fasting twice each week/three days each month) the better the health benefits to be gained.

BiLaaL   

You shouldn't worry too much about the calories you'll consume at iftar. The calories you consume after fasting won't do you any harm.

Studies have found that even people who practice alternate day fasting - which involves eating whatever you want one day and then consuming less than 600 calories the following day - has been found to have health benefits. So the calories you consume following a whole day of zero-calorie Saum would only be beneficial for your health - and gain you ajar and increase in Imaan (which after all ought to be out primary concern in our Saum Inshaa Allaah).

There are indeed many benefits to the body in fasting. This is a great reminder with ramadan coming up. Have you also checked out the BBC documentary called eat fast and live longer?