Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Ancient art in Somaliland in diplomatic limbo

Safferz;945333 wrote:
Who said I don't support cultural heritage programs in SL? I was just remarking on how clever the PR firm is to take this angle to publicize SL's diplomatic situation. I don't know the process of attaining UNESCO world heritage site status, so I can't comment on why Laas Geel and other sites haven't been declared world heritage sites but I'd imagine if the SL government really cared about protecting these sites they would include it in their dialogues with Somalia (since they can sign the UNESCO treaty). What I don't like is the politicization of history and Somali cultural heritage as a diplomatic tool.

horta, did i tell you about the time i was employed as a human-goat conflict expert. i was tasked to undertake the root causes of the ever-growing conflict between goats and people. the project was funded by the UN. but the UN required an expert to assess the situation, before releasing the funds to the local NGO, who would implement the project. for the duration of the short contract, i spent my days writing reports, doing needs assessments etc...... BUT i was NEVER allowed to visit the conflict prone areas, as per strict UN regulations. after haphazardly writing a ''neither here nor there spiel''.... which was so far removed from the reality on the ground........ i passed the report on to my colleague in our regional HQ to have it approved......in one of those emerging middle-income countries, which....as i'm sure, you could appreciate has ostensibly benefited from the conflicts between goats and people issues. after several months........ just before the end of the financial year and my contract, i received a response from my colleague.. .... cautiously proposing we ought to send the report to our HQ in New York to have it ''rubber-stamped''. unfortunately, the financial year ended and the project was scrapped due to 'timing constriants''. 2 weeks later, i found another short-term contract.....i was handsomely paid to be a human-sheep conflict regulatory framework consultant ........:P

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;945363 wrote:
horta, did i tell you about the time i was employed as a human-goat conflict expert. i was tasked to undertake the root causes of the ever-growing conflict between goats and people. the project was funded by the UN. but the UN required an expert to assess the situation, before releasing the funds to the local NGO, who would implement the project. for the duration of the short contract, i spent my days writing reports, doing needs assessments etc...... BUT i was NEVER allowed to visit the conflict prone areas, as per strict UN regulations. after haphazardly writing a
''neither here nor there spiel''
.... which was so far removed from the reality on the ground........ i passed the report on to my colleague in our regional HQ to have it approved......in one of those emerging middle-income countries, which....as i'm sure, you could appreciate has ostensibly benefited from the conflicts between goats and people issues. after several months........ just before the end of the financial year and my contract, i received a response from my colleague.. .... cautiously proposing we ought to send the report to our HQ in New York to have it
''rubber-stamped''
. unfortunately, the financial year ended and the project was scrapped due to
'timing constriants''
. 2 weeks later, i found another short-term contract.....i was handsomely paid to be a human-sheep conflict regulatory framework consultant ........
:P

0382_s7tr.gif

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;945367 wrote:
i didn't realise they had siestas in the Great Satan of American States.
:o

Just doing my part to help popularize the practice :D