Sign in to follow this  
Daqane

A four freedoms agreement a possible positive basis for a velvet divorce btwn Somalia Somaliland

Daqane   

This goes out to the somalilanders this basic agreement was the basis of Sudan-S.Sudan talks, now although for there own reasons it does not work would it be a positive way of envisioning a amicable parting of ways with somaliland for all somalis in the peninsula? I mean apart from the red hot politics this is what people are already doing on the ground!

The four freedoms agreement which was negotiated last March by the two countries, allows citizens of both states to enjoy "freedom of residence, freedom of movement, freedom to undertake economic activity and freedom to acquire and dispose property".

I would like to know it is the talk of the day in Mogadishu these days....

^^ I dont see a problem with that i have some relatives of mine who are currently in Xamar and i am sure there are many koonfurians in Somaliland. It just becomes difficult when a governmental official of Somalia tries to visit Somaliland or a governmental official of SL tries to visit Somalia.

Daqane   

well the assumption is that they are both recognized states, as in for a final agreement rather than the interim, we in jowhar are really interested in the mechanics of this and the possible feelings of reer-somaliland on this...

I dont think any one in Somaliland would have a problem with the movement of people, people of Somalia can visit Somaliland with out a visa. Somalia and Somaliland can later forge closer economic and trade integration. Or even go a step further as carafaat suggested to share the same embassy buildings. Ofcourse there are some hard liners but as long as the 2 sovereign states restore relations everything is possible. We could even go a step further and have the same defense policy so if Kenya has a problem with Somalia. Somaliland would automatically side with Somalia. The same with Ethiopian if its in conflict with Ethiopia or Djibouti if its in conflict with Eritrea. This is all possible if the 2 sides agree two live side by side as two independent nations.

This is dahabshils new bank under construction in Mogadishu

Q6n8t4p.jpg

Oodweyne;943502 wrote:
This sort of argument in my view are bit premature (or if you like putting the cart before the horse); for they have to wait till end of the talks and we see where we are in-terms of political reality on the ground. But in principles, there are nothing to which one could take exception to.

Agreed but Somalilanders should always show that they are the most flexible and reasonble people when it comes to engaging with their neighbors and ofcourse, showing Somali solidarity when needed. Its to early to talk about this because we are in the middle of the process the dialogue between the 2 countries.