Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Qabiil for a surname?

Chimera   

Haatu;941478 wrote:
People, if you're going to oppose then at least give us why.

What's exactly is redeemable about the clan-system? Did it give us our unique language? No, our songs, poems and plays are in Somali. Did it give us our religion? No, we converted long before the mythical Sheikhs arrived. Did it give us our unique genetic code? No, in-fact it predates this crap system by five thousand years. Did it give us our independence? No. This was achieved through the sacrifices of Pan-Somalists.

If you want to propose a productive solution to the clan-cancer, then strengthening the much more interesting and enriching identity of Somali, would be the right step. With this surname nonsense, you're only creating easy targets for discrimination, prejudice or worse, murder. Strip Somalis of their clans, and what are they? ---> SOMALIS.

Haatu   

Chimera, you really are the eternal optimist aren't you? I tell you this, Somalis are NEVER going to let go of qabiil. How I could wish for otherwise but that will never be the case. Better to reduce its influence and bring it out into the open than to leave it to linger underneath dinner tables. I refer you to the Old Man's dictum, C is E.

Haatu;941495 wrote:
Chimera, you really are the eternal optimist aren't you? I tell you this, Somalis are NEVER going to let go of qabiil. How I could wish for otherwise but that will never be the case. Better to reduce its influence and bring it out into the open than to leave it to linger underneath dinner tables. I refer you to the Old Man's dictum, C is E.

exactly the professor mentioned that in the vid remember when he spoke about when the kacaan forbade speaking about clans, everyone said my ex clan is that, same way here in SOL mentioning clan names is forbidden but everyone got their own code,unuka,seccesionist,the defeated lot, looters inc etc

It should be tried and lets see how people react to it its worth trying at least we can say later if it worked or not.

Our neighbors identity themselves with their regions and than their clan and sub clan.

But since we our nomads we identify our selves with the clan and sub clan

I listened to the professor and it seems like he is a very intelligent man he brings solutions.

With in the Somali society its that the clan identity is very strong the moment a President is elected we already know his opponents.

And ofcourse the President has to nominate a prime minister not based on his CV but primarily his tribe.

For many Somali identity means little it means just a language and a close association but it doesn't mean kinship nor nationality.

Haatu   

Mudanayaal iyo Marwooyin, I give you exhibit A, Xaaji Xunjuf, your typical somali adult. His political views on clan are typical of the average Somali his age and his approach to this is also in my belief the approach most Somalis back home would take (not idealist, out-of-touch qurbaawis).

We thank the Xaaji for supporting our case.

Blessed   

LoL carrying it on your I.D. is hardly going to reduce its impact? Anyway, I prefer the names of my beloved aabe and awoowe.

Haatu i have observed Somalis and the way they interact with each other they have a hard time connecting the dots. Somalis sometimes act like Arabs in their behavior , Arabs love to run away from their problems. And Arabs declare some problems as non existent. Some Somalis will do the same and will say the tribalism with in Somali society should not be discussed because they dont know how to deal with it.

Chimera   

Haatu;941495 wrote:
Chimera, you really are the eternal optimist aren't you? I tell you this, Somalis are NEVER going to let go of qabiil.

Here is where you are wrong, they have done so repeatedly throughout history. The problem here is that there was never a direct reward to relinquishing their clans in the form of national military victories, and economic prosperity. A pan-Somalist soldier reverted to clan only after losing the O-war, a pan-Somalist politician reverted to clan only after being persecuted by a clannist president, a pan-Somalist nomad or farmer only reverted to clan when their profits were destroyed by food-aid greenlit by the state.

What you need to brainstorm about is how to strengthen the Somali identity so none of us ever feels the need to revert back to a backwards system. You said you read the Meji Restoration, then you would know the odds the Japanese Emperor had to face were a hundred times greater than what the Somali President faces, yet they succeeded.

How I could wish for otherwise but that will never be the case. Better to reduce its influence and bring it out into the open than to leave it to linger underneath dinner tables. I refer you to the Old Man's dictum, C is E.

Your institutionalizing clan, that's a recipe for a war that will make the past 20 years look like a skirmish.

*Blessed;941528 wrote:
LoL carrying it on your I.D. is hardly going to reduce its impact? Anyway, I prefer the names of my beloved aabe and awoowe.

Blessed in Rwanda on their ID it said Hutu or Tutsi:D

Haatu   

Chimera, everything you've said is besides the point. The reality on the ground today (and unarguably yesterday) is that Somalis are fiercely loyal to their clans. Qabiil is an institution that has existed for a very long time and will continue to exist. It's about time we started using it appropriately and take it away from the grips of all men.(PS: Somalis have always united when dealing with Xabashida or invading new territories. Case in point, most of the region I come from was captured after 2 sub-clans went into an alliance to go plunder).

Xaaji, running away only leads to the problem getting bigger. Embrace it, modify it, own it. That's my solution to any problem.

Blessed, it at least brings it into the open which is a start. No more need for euphemisms.

Chimera   

Haatu;941541 wrote:
Chimera, everything you've said is besides the point.

Its not, unless your moving the goal-post.

The reality on the ground today (and unarguably yesterday) is that Somalis are fiercely loyal to their clans.

That's because there is nothing strong enough to be an alternative, Somalis are a pathetically poor people, with little to show for today because of this so-called loyalty, yet this reality and its cause has never really sunk in the minds of the masses. A well-functioning state making economic progress is a strong alternative, powerful companies that employ hundreds of thousands are a strong alternative, a popular football league on the same level of professionalism and entertainment as those of Europe or Latin America is a strong alternative.

That's what I'm working on, and I have feeling its closer to reality than D-Block, or HAG, etc on a future Somali library card.

Blessed   

I disagree with the premise that qabiil is hidden in our community, that's far from the truth. If you're referring to SOL, I agree the proper names of Somalli qabail are better than the insulting codes but this will not solve the hate, mistrust and prejudice which are so prevalent in our community. Putting your qabiil out there doesn't solve these issues but it only elevates that aspect of your identity and overlooks who you are as a person.

XX, exactly!

Good idea.

waan soo dhawaynayaa sababtoo ah hadii aa furto company, waxey ii fudu deyn doonto qofkii aan rabo inaan shaqaale siiyo ama kan aan rabo CV-giisa aan qashinka ku daro.:D