Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Qabiil for a surname?

Haatu   

Before you shoot me down give me a second. Earlier today I watched a Youtube video by a Somali professor who touched upon this point. As Somalis, in public and outside our homes qabiil is largely taboo (even SOL is a good example), however in our homes it is anything but. Whenever we hear of a prominent Somali, the first question that pops into most of our heads is Yuu yahey? (you know it is so don't try to deny it). All this covering up has made us all terrible hypocrites and totally destroyed the Somali state. What the good professor recommends is that we make our qabiil (our Jilibs to be precise) our surnames like the Arabs and even the west (names such as Ferguson for example). An obvious benefit is that the Qabiil becomes normalised like the rest of the world and people's passion for it hopefully dies down. Another benefit is that identification becomes much easier without the need for vulgar nicknames which we've resorted to due to our lack of surnames. Granted the good professor conveys his argument in a more clinical way than my humble attempt, nontheless I for one think it's a brilliant idea. What say you? Wouldn't Wadani Ciidagale sound nice? ;)

(towards the end but I would recommend listening to the whole video).

N.B.: I would like to than Oba Hilowlow for bringing this video to our attention.

Haatu   

Apo, it is indeed a good idea. Somalis have a tendency to BS with themselves.

Oba, I too have thought of it before and was going to make a thread but didn't want to be too radical :D (I got the idea when reading on the Meiji restoration of Japan and how part of the reforms was the adoption of surnames).

Haatu   

Wadani, it's nice innit. I would have made the example of myself but unfortunately I don't know which one my jilib is :D

Chimera   

Haatu, why would I chain myself to a sh!tty system? I wouldn't mind calling myself Adam Dahabshiil, or Adam Hormuud, now that's epic! I think it would help my businesses too, but a sh!tty qabiil name is radio-active. The Scottish clans were obliterated, and in the case of the Arabs, in each country or kingdom you have a kingpin clan that rules all others.

None of those examples are applicable to Somalia.

Haatu   

Apophis, you use you Jilib which is the sub-sub branch I think.

Chimera, qabiil is the elephant in the room. It's about time we embraced it, normalised it and made it our own. That way Somalia might have a chance.

Haatu   

Somalis love their clans and are proud of it. I for one would be proud to have my jilib as my surname and I would expect this to be a natural step for many. The only reason it hasn't been done might be due to SYL's efforts to eradicate it in the 40s-independence (which failed, obviously). So no my friend, it is not optimistic at all.

Apo, lol I wonder what it is. I think my one is Abraham but I have no clue.

Chimera   

Haatu;941451 wrote:
Somalis love their clans and are proud of it. I for one would be proud to have my jilib as my surname and I would expect this to be a natural step for many. The only reason it hasn't been done might be due to SYL's efforts to eradicate it in the 40s-independence (which failed, obviously). So no my friend, it is not optimistic at all.

SYL fought for Somalia's independence, while these proud qabiils would have rendered us imperial subjects for the rest of our existence, and in some way it has succeeded.

Safferz   

This is the worst idea I've ever heard, and this professor is an embarrassment to the profession. Nothing offends me more than when Somali professors retrench people's faith in academics and use their position to spew the same old BS.

Maqane   

Safferz;941466 wrote:
This is the worst idea I've ever heard, and this professor is an embarrassment to the profession.
Nothing offends me more than when Somali professors retrench people's faith in academics and use their position to spew the same old BS.

+1

Haatu   

People, if you're going to oppose then at least give us why. Ma uurkubaallo baanu nahey? (A new word for SP :D)

Saff, the prof. is not a qabiilist as you might believe (judging from his words), he takes the rational approach of taking ownership of the whole qabiil nonsense instead of it enslaving us (as it is now) by desensitizing (for lack of a better word) the people towards it. If everyone had their qabiil on the passports then it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Chimera, you miss my point.