Sign in to follow this  
oba hiloowlow

All seniors so Gala

Safferz   

oba hiloowlow;940632 wrote:
damn i thought these kind of x-rated lyrics wasn't allowed in somali tradition

"Tradition" is always an invention. This is from a play, and like many plays its songs discuss and contest ideas of morality and womanhood in Somali society, and the meanings of tradition and modernity.

Safferz   

oba hiloowlow;940636 wrote:
true, but i wonder tho, if the song created any controversy?

I'm not sure it's controversial in the context a play, where she may be playing a character who is supposed to be clearly marked as immoral and immodest when compared to the "virtuous" and "traditional" female characters. Plays make arguments and always carry a social message. I found the

online and will watch later in the week, so I'll have more thoughts then. I've always been interested in how ideas on women and gender circulate in Somali oral literature and popular music, and how those ideas have shifted over time.

Carafaat   

Saffer, SP and Wadani are merely junior Nomads. I suggest they leave this x-rated thread immediatly. And leave the content to the Seniors to

analyse.

oba hiloowlow;940636 wrote:
true, but i wonder tho, if the song created any controversy?

Not really. Back then, Somalis were more laid back and didnt' care about anything. :) They were Cool AF. Not like what we have here.

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;941017 wrote:
Oba, we should download this video before dalmar gives in to the pressure of removing the video. Us 'modern' somalis are a bunch of debbie downers.

It's been up for a few years now, so I don't think he cares what modern prudes think. He has a great channel and seems to appreciate the importance of preserving our history.