Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Somali president finally acknowledges rape by security forces

Blessed   

MOGADISHU, Somalia — After months of denial, Somalia’s government has for the first time acknowledged that its security forces were involved in rape cases that drew an international outcry by human rights groups.

Army commanders often denied accusations that soldiers were involved in a spate of rapes, blaming the crimes on the Islamic extremist rebels of al-Shabab who wore army uniforms to smear the reputation of the military.

'Those few among the security forces who rape and rob our citizens must be fought and be defeated just like Shabaab,” said President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, while speaking to military cadets at a training camp in Mogadishu on Monday.

“Criminals who commit rape ought to be opposed just like (the Islamic extremist rebels of) Shabaab,” said the president, in a statement issued by his office.

He also affirmed that his government would “fight those who rape as he’d fight al-Shabab,” the Al-Qaeda-linked rebel group fighting his government and the African Union forces in Somalia.

In March, the New York based Human Rights Watch accused Somalia’s security forces and armed groups of raping and beating displaced Somalis who came to the capital fleeing famine and armed conflict. But Somalia has begun military tribunals in which soldiers have been punished and the number of rapes have declined since then, say residents.

“The president’s commitment to tackle abuses, including rape, by security forces, is an important first step but needs to be followed by concrete action, including proper vetting of police and military,” said Leslie Lefkow, deputy Africa director at Human Rights Watch. “And the government needs to appropriately investigate, suspend and prosecute members of its forces who commit crimes, in line with international standards.”

Somalia’s highest profile rape case was one in which an alleged victim accused government soldiers but was herself put on trial and sentenced to one year in prison for insulting the state institution. A reporter who interviewed her was also arrested and jailed one year for offending national institutions. Human rights groups denounced the convictions.

An appeals court acquitted and released the woman and the Supreme Court later overturned the verdict against the reporter.

The Associated Press.

Chimera   

The government has to come up with a deal that sees all of the UN operated NGO camps fall under the Turkish Red Crescent, The latter's camp is organised, clean, secure and has running water. None of the terrible acts plaguing the other IDP camps happen there.

If the president is sincere, he will immediately replace the non-vetted soldiers and deploy instead 200 Alpha Group soldiers to man each of the camps and provide security. They are disciplined, respected by the public, and have a good track-record providing security in the capital during big events.

Alpha_Group___Mogadishu_Times_.jpg

Tallaabo   

Chimera;936775 wrote:
The government has to come up with a deal that sees all of the UN operated NGO camps fall under the Turkish Red Crescent, The latter's camp is organised, clean, secure and has running water. None of the terrible acts plaguing the other IDP camps happen there.

If the president is sincere, he will immediately replace the non-vetted soldiers and deploy instead 200 Alpha Group soldiers to man each of the camps and provide security. They are disciplined, respected by the public, and have a good track-record providing security in the capital during big events.

Alpha_Group___Mogadishu_Times_.jpg

Where will the 200 come from?

Chimera   

Tallaabo;936779 wrote:
Where will the 200 come from?

What do you mean? The Alpha Group is 300 soldiers strong, and combating banditry and other vices is part of their mandate.

Juxa   

Too lite too late. The rape is wide-spread and not limited to the soldiers.

We need good legal system and judges that can pass appropriate sentences

Blessed   

^ Somali legal systems are an absolute joke, but I think the main issue here is that Somalis don't take rape seriously enough..

underdog   

*Blessed;937468 wrote:
^ Somali legal systems are an absolute joke, but I think the main issue here is that Somalis don't take rape seriously enough..

20+ years of war, torment and all manners of atrocities. Are you implying that legal system should be perfect overnight? would it be unreasonable to require some time to organize a fully functional system?

Maybe you all need to slow down a bit.

Blessed   

^note I've said "Somali legal systems", I'm not only talking about the official channels alone or a specific region, the traditional approach which is used by many Somalis also fails to protect the honour of rape victims. Also, Pres. Hassan was telling Somalis who have questioned the handling of Lul's case to have faith in the judiciary system in February. If such is the attitude of the President, then highlighting the weakness of the judicial system is necessary.

NGONGE   

^^ I'm not sure "slow down" is the correct sort of advice to give when the topic of discussion is RAPE, saaxib.

raula   

*Blessed;937493 wrote:
the traditional approach

<---the crux of the matter. If you worth as a woman is less than a camel..what justice do we expect. There won't be no more glossy somali history (the one we dream of/wish for/ or used to exist back in the days) if SOMALIs continue about w/these appalling women right's violations (while we boast around..."we somalis are the kings of Africa..aheey libaaxad iyo libaaxyaal, revolutionists...pride of the Horn..we don't take sh*& from anyone...ethiopian-AIDS qabo..mana xukumaayo..kenyatti jareer ah mano talinaayo...lol...et cetera..you get the point i hope) its useless hadii dumarkii iyo generation-kii soo kacaayen can't even respect their women & don't understand the significance in continuation of lineages (the same superficial lineages ey ku faanan) if women are treated as they are now..or worse...like in some of those Arab-countries...). sorry just got carried away..i get convulsions when i see how prevalent such horrible act has become...nevertheless. carry on.

raula...Are there any efforts by Somali women in the diaspora to elevate or eliminate this horrid situation. I would imagined this would have been one issue that unites Somali women abroad.

p.s. I am not abdicating our responsibility towards our women but an effort by Somali women in the West might go long way to end the situation.

Blessed   

^A few sisters have started an awareness campaign recently... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hawas-Haven/205899739552927?fref=ts

I'm not sure laakin why it's treated as a women's issue? Women belong to families - with male relatives - I question the integrity of a man who does not see the protection of his sisters a personal matter and a priority.

Raula - well said.also the insistence that Somali women have it so good gives me humour. Off course, if we are to deny the shit they have to deal with. p.s I watched a horrific video of two girls who were raped in Egypt -- in broad day light, at a busy market. I couldn't watch the whole thing but it still haunts me wallahi. This is what will happen if we continue to take this lightly.