Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Memorizing somali poetry

Blessed   

Oh, how I wish to have had the opportunity to learn sugaanta Somaalida like those who grew up back home. In fact, it's something that I want to do in the near future inshaallah.

There are some video on youtube where poets recite and explain their own works or the work of others - just search your favourit poet. You can buy books with translations or explanations as well. I think relating to the words and understanding the meaning are first steps to memorising. I don't know if it's possible to memorise a complete Somali poem as they are usually very long.

Wadani   

SomaliPhilosopher;933730 wrote:
War Xajio, which is the more accurate translation/

I'd say the second translation does a better job of capturing the spirit of the poem and the earnestness Gaariye is trying to convey in the piece. The first translation, with it's over attention to accuracy and superfluous usage of parentheses, is too mechanical, resulting, ironically, in a lot being of it being lost to translation.

May I ask you a question. Why are you interested in suugaanta when you are Afsoomaali challenged? I mean, one doesn't try to run while s/he can't walk to begin with.

You are starting from the top -- it will only make you more confused and harder to learn the basics of Soomaali grammar writing. Just an observation.

P. S. -- keep your interests in Afsoomaaliga. Haka daalin. Afsoomaaliga waa af hodan ah oo farac iyo isir weynba.

Wadani   

SomaliPhilosopher;934114 wrote:
Grazie Wadani. We share the same struggle bro. Though my Somali is lacking, so for me its a great struggle. I guess learning some Somali poetry would help. Lets share resources

Sounds good bro.

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;934147 wrote:
May I ask you a question. Why are you interested in suugaanta when you are Afsoomaali challenged? I mean, one doesn't try to run while s/he can't walk to begin with.

You are starting from the top -- it will only make you more confused and harder to learn the basics of Soomaali grammar writing. Just an observation.

P. S. -- keep your interests in Afsoomaaliga. Haka daalin. Afsoomaaliga waa af hodan ah oo farac iyo isir weynba.

Miskiin, lets just say I can walk, but I walk like a cripple lol. So what do you suggest amigo. The way I see it it, if a cripple starts running, walking will be much easier.

Maqane   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;934126 wrote:
Reero gabay ma'ihi, I don't fancy it. Laakiin this is one of the most well-known lines by Sayidka:

Sagaal nin oo walaala ah sideena

Oo sideedu isku bahtahay sidiina

Midkuna bah gooni yahay sidayda

Oo sideedu wax siri sidiina

Midkuna sirta ku garan sidayda

Haddaynu isa siri sideedaba

Ma iska kala tagnaa sideenaba

As it is nine brothers, like us

where eight of you are full brothers

And I am the only half brother amongst

Alas, all of you plot against

But the lone half-brother discovers it

I see no reason of being together

But to split

Check more on
. Ingiriis translation

:)

Have you guys ever heard of this poem by Sayyid Muhammad Abdullah Hassan. I have never heard of the phrase "ye waa daw", and have yet to find this poem outside one book written by a white guy, so i question its history. let me know, i enjoy the content of the poem

Ninkii diinta Eebbahay dhigan,

Daddaal ku dhintaa ye waa daw,

Ninkii dabka qaatee duulee,

Dagaal ku dhintaa ye waa daw,

Anigu dadka waxaan, la yaabaa,

oo haddana doqonnimo ku saaraa,

'Ninkii duunyo kaleeto foofsadayee,

Ku daaqsada doobka caanaha eey.

The man who learns the religion of God

And dies with hard work is honorable.

The man who takes up weapon for fighting,

And dies in battle is honorable-

But [of all] people, the one who surprises me

And whom I accuse of foolishaess

Is the man who cares for another's animals, and

Receives [only] a vessel full of milk [as his reward].

SomaliPhilosopher;934404 wrote:
Have you guys ever heard of this poem by Sayyid Muhammad Abdullah Hassan. I have never heard of the phrase "ye waa daw", and have yet to find this poem outside one book written by a white guy, so i question its history. let me know, i enjoy the content of the poem

Ninkii diinta Eebbahay dhigan,

Daddaal ku dhintaa ye waa daw

The phrase is 'dhintaaye waa daw.' I don't know what 'daw' is either. But if we follow the translation, it might imply something honourable.

Maarodi   

I'm in a similar situation to SomaliPhilosopher, perhaps a little behind too. But I realized with desire and good sources you can master gaabays. Master as in get the general gist. There's a lot of metaphors and difficult vocabulary that needs to be unpacked too. Just as you would analyze English poetry you'd do the same for Somali.

Talk to the older folks and ask for their interpretations. I'm talking about the knowledgable ones, but just any old silly Bob. Also ask them to break down the words for you and write them down. As you do this you're regular Somali will begin to improve.

Also listen to Ahmed Farax Idaaja @ VOASomali's Dhaqanka iyo Hiddaha

It is a gem. It's pretty self explanatory. Listen to those podcasts with your family and discuss them. It helps. Plus you'll get to spend valuable time with your family :D

Last but not least, don't get disheartened.

Maarodi, thanks for the encouraging words and useful advice. Yes, the vocabulary is the greatest obstacle. I gota make friends with some odeyal. I will take a look at the podcast. Best wishes to both of our journeys mate.

I think this will be the first gabay I shall memorize. It is by Raage Ugaas. www.doollo.com provided a decent background on the poem. It is a euology for Raage Ugaas's wife, who was killed by a lion.

Who wants to dissect this poem with me?

Koortii Yucub

Sida koorta Yucub oo la sudhay, korommo buubaal ah

Ama geel ka reeb ah oo nirgaha, laga ka xaynaayo

Ama beelo keynaan ah, oo kor u hayaamaaya

Ama ceel karkaarrada jebshiyo, webi karaar dhaafay

Ama habar kurkii iyo wadnaha, lagaga kaw siiyay

Ama kaal danley qaybsatiyo, kur iyo dhal yaabis

Shinni kaaluf galay ama siddii, koronkorkoo oomay

Xalay kololo’aygii ma ladin, kaamil reeruhuye

Kunbulkiyo ardaagii miyaa, laygu kaliyeeyay?

Wixii laygu kuunyeeyay miyaa, igu karaamoobay?

Kunbiskii miyaa layga qubay, kolayo ii buuxay?

Maantana kataantii miyaa, layga kala qaaday?

Kob abaar ah oo dhexe miyaa, koore ila meeray?

Kub miyaan ka jabay biixiyaan, kabayo loo haynin?