Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Somalia: President flies to Qatar, ‘expected to meet’ Somaliland leader in Dubai

Somalia: President flies to Qatar, ‘expected to meet’ Somaliland leader in Dubai

MOGADISHU, Somalia Mar 25, 2013 (Garowe Online)- Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud flew from Mogadishu on Monday en route to Qatar, where he is expected to attend the Arab League summit, Garowe Online reports

President Hassan spoke on Radio Mogadishu prior to his departure, saying that he will attend for the first time as Somali President the annual Arab League summit, which takes place in the Qatari capital Doha this year.Under former President Mohamed Siyad Barre, Somalia joined the Arab League in 1974.

“I will attend the Arab League summit and I will present the situation in Somalia, the progress achieved and the country’s needs,” said President Hassan.

Addressing media speculation about the sacking of the intelligence chief, President Hassan said: “Yes, Ahmed Moallim Fiqi [former intelligence chief] has resigned along with this deputy and I have appointed an interim chief and the work will continue.”

Somaliland dialogue

Sources in Mogadishu and Hargeisa tell Garowe Online that President Hassan is expected to travel to Dubai after attending the Arab League summit in Doha. President Hassan is “expected to meet” with the leader of Somalia’s separatist region of Somaliland, Ahmed Mohamed Silanyo, who is currently in Dubai.

Earlier this month, President Silanyo rejected attending the London Conference for Somalia, scheduled for May 7 and co-hosted by the Somali and UK governments in London.

A dialogue process between the Somali federal government and Somaliland’s separatist administration have stalled since June 2012, in part after Puntland was excluded from the talks as a stakeholder. Puntland and Somaliland have fought sporadic territorial battles since 2002, costing lives and leading to the displacement of over 50,000 civilians from Las Anod, according to a U.N. report.

Since September 2012, Somaliland has reversed its policy and has engaged in direct talks with Puntland regarding security matters.

Earlier this month, Somaliland arrested and returned to Puntland a suspect involved in the killing of a well-known Islamic scholar in Puntland on Feb. 15, 2013. The suspect had escaped to Somaliland and the move is seen as growing security cooperation between the two authorities that have been political rivals for over a decade.

- See more at: http://www.garoweonline.com/artman2/publish/Somalia_27/Somalia_president_flies_to_Qatar_expected_to_meet_Somaliland_leader_in_Dubai.shtml#sthash.2pdfeAeN.dpuf

So far your track record with your 'crystal ball' has shown a lot of room for improvement. I do appreciate GaroweOnline's analysis linking of the Somaliland-Somalia talks inconclusiveness to a 'Puntland-centric' reason. Classic ;)

Somaliland: "Ma jiro qorshe kulan Dubai"

26 Maarso, 2013, 16:30 GMT 19:30 SGA

Wasiirka Arrimaha Dibedda ee Somaliland, Maxamed Cabdullaahi Cumar ayaa sheegay in aanu jirin wax qorshe ah oo ku saabsan kulan dhexmara Madaxweynaha Somaliland iyo Madaxweynaha Soomaaliya.

Wasiirka ayaa ka jawaabayay warar sheegayay inay suurtagal tahay in labada dhinac ee Somaliland iyo Soomaaliya ay ku kulmaan magaalada Dubai, kadib marka Madaxweynaha Soomaaliya uu ka soo laabto magaalada Dooxa ee dalka Qadar oo uu kaga qeybgalayo shirka dalalka Carabta.

Maxamed Cabdullaahi Cumar Waxa uu sheegay in dalka Imaaraadka ay u tageen casuummad ay ka heleen masuuliyiinta dowladda Imaaraadka Carabta.

Laakiin wasiirku waxa uu ku celceliyay inay diyaar u yihiin wada hadalka Soomaaliya, balse aanay ka soo qeyb geli doonin shirka London ee bisha May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/somali/maqal_iyo_muuqaal/2013/03/130326_somaliland_wasiirka_dibedda.shtml

The take away is Somaliland is having problems with its position . But Garowe matters as well.

You may have to eat back your predictions awoowe with respect Hargeysa attending London conference. If I were you I would leave a wiggle room :D

But I've made no predictions on whether SL will attend or not(London Conference) ;)

Simply stated where I, personally, stood on the current situation - see the difference?

Xiin, you seem to be suffering from the same problem as Baashi(which he at least admitted to/corrected in another thread). When you can't pin Mintid on his argument, you tend to create fictional arguments for Mintid. Come on, sxb, that's not fair ;)

We're all grown men here.....

^^I am not sure what you are referring to with respect to Baashi admitting something, but your effort to highlight Siilaanyo's political handlers denying that they will meet with Somali leadership or attend London conference and then pulling a 360 turnaround proves to be a source for confusion.

To clear things: what are you saying ? Do you agree with my statement that with all the pronouncements and denials from Hargeysa, Siilaanyo may end up going to London after all? Or do you deem that to be a crystal ball as my friend NGONGE says when cornered ?

Currently, I have no idea whether they will attend or not. For you see, Xiin, unlike you, I'm well aware of the limitations of what I do know & what I don't know.

However, I've made it clear that I agree with the current SL position that the London Conference as it now stands doesn't concern SL. This is the pressure point(no matter how small - matter of opinion, actually) that SL currently has to exercise. For there are many, Somali and non-Somali, that see SL's attendance as giving that veneer of legitimacy to all things Somali. For you know, and the rest of the world sees that Somaliland is the only thing in the former Somalia that actually works!.

^^You did not answer the question.

By the way, xiinfaniin did not say Somaliland will attend. Unlike you, he is not ruling out the possibility of that happening.

xiinfaniin;930981 wrote:
^^You did not answer the question.

By the way, xiinfaniin did not say Somaliland will attend. Unlike you, he is not ruling out the possibility of that happening.

LOOOOL ;) ;)

Further proof that you get irrational on all things Mintid-related ;) Priceless...

Ku noqo my answer above one more time and you might find the answer to your question this time(if we're lucky).

^^Are you serious ? By repeating this 'all things Mintid-related', you are increasingly sounding childish.

You did not answer the question.

NGONGE   

^^ War Hassan Sheikh was with them in the plane that flew them back home. After they had their talks, he jumped off as they flew over Villa Somalia.

Ibtisam   

NGONGE;931001 wrote:
^^ War Hassan Sheikh was with them in the plane that flew them back home. After they had their talks, he jumped off as they flew over Villa Somalia.

OMG I heard that too. Apparently he is thrill seeker- :D :D

Since hearing this I have new found respect for Hassan Sheikh.

P.s. All these Sheikh named people can surely fix a few things!>? Otherwise future lesson, keep away from people named Sheikh.

After the national meeting on the 30th and 31st of Somaliland aqoonyahans- we will know if Somaliland is attending this or any future ones. This is the forum which will formulate the long term strategic agenda for Somaliland.

Sources in Mogadishu and Hargeisa tell Garowe Online that President Hassan is expected to travel to Dubai after attending the Arab League summit in Doha. President Hassan is “expected to meet” with the leader of Somalia’s separatist region of Somaliland, Ahmed Mohamed Silanyo, who is currently in Dubai.

Just to proof you ,,, they were wrong and the Somaliland FM was right when he said there is no meeting scheduled with the President. :D