Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

The reinstatement of the Nomadic culture

Being "nomads" is something we take great pride in as Somalis. Though it appears it is a lifestyle and culture that is slowly coming to an end as we emulate this "reer magaal" lifestyle. Perhaps it is in Somalia's best interest to reinstate this nomadic culture as it is an integral part of the Somali identity. I am hereby proposing a national service program geared towards requiring city dwellers to serve 1-2 as a true Nomad. The participant shall be provided with a geel and sent to a certain region, very similar to the national service teaching program.

One of the outcomes of this program is to eliminate this social stratification of "reer magaal" and "reer miyi" and place people on a similar social status.

Thoughts? Additions? Criticisms? Please share

Daqane   

Nomadism is a reaction to the enviroment, nothing romantic about trekking for miles to get a sip of water for yourself or camels, and suffering a great drought every couple of years, I am with Haatu!

^^ It maybe means nothing to you but its part of our history and heritage its what Somali is all about its the cultural and a way of life we cherish allot its how the prophets lived. By the way Nomads are real men know what life is all about and they are pious muslims. Do you know how many proverbs contains Camel geel in the Somali language we will uphold the nomadic way of life.

Daqane   

Xaaji Xunjuf;926569 wrote:
^^ It maybe means nothing to you but its part of our history and heritage its what Somali is all about its the cultural and a way of life we cherish allot its how the prophets lived. By the way Nomads are real men know what life is all about and they are pious muslims. Do you know how many proverbs contains Camel geel in the Somali language we will uphold the nomadic way of life.

Cool story bro

I know you are a farmer and have no cultural or historical attachment with nomadism, but keep in mind the Nomadic Somalis were the one who expanded the Somali territory as far as beyond the awash river as far as deep in the Afar land all the way down south to NFD. It was them who removed the gallas from Somali galbeed, Not some fara dhooqayaal oo faraha beer kula jira.

Daqane   

Xaaji Xunjuf;926583 wrote:
I know you are a farmer and have no cultural or historical attachment with nomadism, but keep in mind the Nomadic Somalis were the one who expanded the Somali territory as far as beyond the awash river as far as deep in the Afar land all the way down south to NFD. It was them who removed the gallas from Somali galbeed, Not some fara dhooqayaal oo faraha beer kula jira.

Only farm produce I know of is in the supermarket, and agriculture is how great civilizations such as the habesha one you guys in hargeisa orgasm over came about, Rome, China e.t.c which one was solely dependent on rain fall?, nomadism is an inefficient way of life and as ridiculous as plains indians chasing down buffalos in this day and age, it is almost moronic to talk about what was an economic and lifestyle necessity as something spiritually grand were even in somali parlance reer-baadiyo denotes lack of manners and backwardness.

But any way this will just degenerate into a pointless argument when we are meant to discuss things with the like of XX and his twin masters in sociology and Nomadism, the honorable Badal Kariye of SOL. :)

Apophis;926586 wrote:
You keep initiating these ridiculous arguments, why? I'm talking to you OP.

A wise man one told me, if you are receiving attacks from Apophis, you are doing something right

Daqane;926590 wrote:
Only farm produce I know of is in the supermarket, and agriculture is how great civilizations such as the habesha one you guys in hargeisa orgasm over came about, Rome, China e.t.c which one was solely dependent on rain fall?, nomadism is an inefficient way of life and as ridiculous as plains indians chasing down buffalos in this day and age, it is almost moronic to talk about what was an economic and lifestyle necessity as something spiritually grand were even in somali parlance reer-baadiyo denotes lack of manners and backwardness.

But any way this will just degenerate into a pointless argument when we are meant to discuss things with the like of XX and his twin masters in sociology and Nomadism, the honorable Badal Kariye of SOL.
:)

As i said the fara dhoqayaals haven't contributed anything of importance to the Somali culture and traditions other than sitting besides the river with a drum and booty shaking dances. Thats about it when the Somali nomads were expanding the Somali territories , the faro dhoqayaals were just sitting on their but doing nothing. When the Somali nomads were enriching the Somali language where were they , no where to be seen, as for the habashes, i think the farodhoqayaals like them allot since you share the same culture and guess where those lovely habashis are at the moment in Somalia you're country how many of them 1000 or more. Nomadism is the way of the Somali even this site has adopted it the members of this site are called Nomads its the way our ancestors lived its the way still a significant portion of our people live its the way of life of the holy prophets all in all its an excellent way of living and we are proud of our nomadic heritage. The Somali culture is based on the nomadic way of life linguistically and traditionally.

Haatu   

Daqane;926562 wrote:
Nomadism is a reaction to the enviroment, nothing romantic about trekking for miles to get a sip of water for yourself or camels, and suffering a great drought every couple of years, I am with Haatu!

Hear hear.

Somali mahmaayo on geel and the nomadic life

Geel baan qaadi Geenyaan gadan

geel jire geela waa wada jiraa waana kala jiraa

Geel labajir soo wadamar

Nin lamaan ayaa geel dhacsada

Geelo, geela fulay ha ka taba fulo

Geel waa is geedo baraa

awr awr wada iyo nin naag wado midna kaama leexdaan.

geel jiroow intaad deersa!neeysid reer guri waa kaa hoos

Nimaan geel lahayn waa cirka u tuure.

Markaan galow u yeedhyo maxaad geel u soo tu'tu'isaa

Geelna waa gal gashaa Ragna ways geddiyaa

Geel baan doonanayaa geeso dhiig leh bay dhashaa

gacal kala maqnaan jiray iyo geelba waysu ololaa

ratiga danbe ratigahore saan qaadkiisuu leeyahay

Geela gal ee garoor ka keen

Geel la aanti bal halkaydin geli oo eydin ku gabaad baran

Akhiraba niman geel lahayn lama amaanayne

And many more