Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Is Somali unity futile?

For much of my life I have been a Somali irredentist if you'd like to call it. I was a believer of a greater Somalia, a unified government, and Somali nationalism. Though now I am beginning to realize this "nationalism" is perhaps a western construct as we Somalis were never united. This idea of a unified state is an imported system as we have traditionally been a decentralized people. Have I, the SYL, and other nationalist fall victim to a western paradigm?

Is perhaps true Somali nationalism accepting our nature, staying true to ourselves, forgoing this unified state, giving up on the Somaliland-Somalia unity, and returning to our roots of a decentralized micro society.

Is this the reason for our problems and ongoing wars-trying to be something we are not?

Pease discuss

It depends on how you define Somali unity, were Somalis ever united probably not can they be united in a different form maybe so , will it happen during our life time, probably not.

Well we had always a cultural bond but never a national bond, nationalism is an alien concept among Somalis. it was also very short lived, because it never had any place in Somali society. We went along with it because our grandparents thought it was the best thing to do at that time. But we never had a structured state before colonialism even during the fight for independence we never shared the same pain in the same political order each region/country experienced their own historic events and struggled on their own terms. And our grand parents tried to unite all of that and tried to create a whole new historic artificial Somali National identity. But it was really based on weak fundamental principles our national identity because we kept on repeating the same mantra's we speak the same language adhere the same religion are from the same ethnic group. But in reality those were just words we kept on repeating hence why it lasted for a very short period of time.

Well Djibouti successfully became an independent state, Somaliland for the past 21 years operates as a defacto state and its basically an Independent state awaits dejure recognition from the world only. Somalia its self is trying to find it self on the map implementing clan federalism to find solutions, The Somalis in Kenya consider themselves Somali Kenyans, so in reality we already took this path we are just not aware of it.

Lets make this clear before we deviate from the topic, The somali government is the Somalia that falls on the map, Somaliland falls under that as in the current government is the face of Somalia and Somaliland on the international spectrum.

Nevertheless, you are indeed right in pointing out this micro Somali entities. Though, this is a distorted perception. The current Somali government encompasses hundreds of tribes and is not microscopic at all in fact it is in attempts at seeking union with the north. Similar, somaliland is an absorption of various micro peoples such as various the Khatumo people.

SomaliPhilosopher;926450 wrote:
Lets make this clear before we deviate from the topic, The somali government is the Somalia that falls on the map, Somaliland falls under that as in the current government is the face of Somalia and Somaliland on the international spectrum.

Nevertheless, you are indeed right in pointing out this micro Somali entities. Though, this is a distorted perception. The current Somali government encompasses hundreds of tribes and is not microscopic at all in fact it is in attempts at seeking union with the north. Similar, somaliland is an absorption of various micro peoples such as various the Khatumo people.

Yeah internationally that might be true but even with out international support there wouldnt even be a Somali goverment at all, so this was their creation funded with their money. But practically socially and nationally the 2 people went their different paths long time ago, the Somaliland youth born in the late 80s, have never ever heard or seen a Somalia goverment. Well they know there is something that resembles a goverment in Mogadishu which claims Somaliland. But in reality this claim is just a claim. The clan identity plays a vital role in Somalia, with lesser extend in Somaliland so these problems will exist for as long as we exist.

Lol@ Haatu i think i am telling the truth regarding how Somali unity was tried to be recreated in modern society there are also a few factors that played a role particularly neighboring countries. But the Somalis in Djibouti and Somaliland and Somalia also played a major role of how the the unity failed. But Somali Kenyans have no clue about that :D

Haatu   

lol Xaaji taas ha inoo dambeyso :D

I've come a long way in my view of Somali unity. Before I used to believe in a strong central state as the sole 'real' government of the land but not anymore. That view is impractical, only existed for a short while with drastic results and unnatural to the Somali whose pure existence is based on his autonomy and independence cemented by his refusal to be dictated to by any man. In other words, we have been since time imemoral very independent people that dislike interference. The position I now hold is that I am willing to share a country, a flag, an economy, an army, an education system (broadly) and a faraway government in Xamar with limited powers. Then let every region form a regional council to deal with their own affairs like we're currently doing in Kenya (Garissa county/region has it's own governor and assembly, same with Wajir and Mandhera counties).

In essence it's a very decentralised form of government where the most power is in the local authority's hands. I'm sure even fellow secessionists will agree to this.

Yes that makes sense to but the state its self is a very alien concept among Somalis, its something we hardly understand and stands in our way,well some times one tribe uses it against the others. But the notion that the state protects the people , is something we are unfamiliar with. its good that the Somalis In kenya can now have their own form of federalism in Kenya we should welcome that