Sign in to follow this  
metta

Somalis will have Western names in a generation or two

metta   

http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=canadavoterlists&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsln=mohamed&dbOnly=_F0007081|_F0007081_x&uidh=000&gl=&gst=

I stumbled upon a voters list in Canada 1930-1980 and typed in "Mohamed" in the search bar just out of curiosity to get a general sense of how common Muslims were over here at that time.

However, I stumbled upon something that made me really surprised. The majority of the people on the list have Western first names like Randy Mohamed, Betty Mohamed, Gerald Mohamed, Sam Mohamed, Normand Mohamed, Keith and Ivan Mohamed. I kid you not. It's not one or two people. It's basically over 50% of the people on the list :confused:

Looks like their parents were forced to give their children "Western" names in order to integrate into society after immigrating here.

My question to you guys: Would you name your kids Andy Bilal, Stephanie Abdirahman, Brittany Mohamuud? ;)

I think it can happen. I've noticed it is rare to find a Somali person born here to speak even Somali at an intermediate level. It's mostly beginner, after maybe 2 decades of exposure to the Somali language in the household. I know 30 something year old who can't speak a word of Somali (other than the basics). There really isn't a culture to hang on too. Somalis have become too westernized. It's bound to happen.

I think it has already started. I met a Somali sibling who were called "Michael" and "Susan". They were not Christian either, the girl was wearing a hijab .

I've thought about it myself. Maybe name my children "Adam" and "Sophie" :cool:

Faheema.   

The name Susan is Arabic origin and I guess they used Michael to mean (Mikhail in arabic). But I see what you mean, kids these days don't have typical somali names, mainly Arabic western sounding names.

Juxa   

or voter's list is most likely to contain names of converts, since we 'somalis' are not keen voters

NGONGE   

In other news, the Pope is going to resign on the 28th of this month, John. :D (true story).

p.s.

Faheema, Susan is not the same as Sawsan (a kind of plant/flower in Arabic). It's most probably that these are either converts of the sons/daughters of seamen. Obama is not Muslim, is he? :P

xabad   

Rageedi, oba keep up the traditions, boy do i hate our generic arabic pseudo names. the next generation is direly in need of authentic names not western nor arabic names.

N.O.R.F   

Not sure how your research justifies your conclusion there. There are many David Mohameds and Sophie Abdullahis. They’re all over 50. Born to the early Somalis who travelled through or settled in the west.

xabad;917337 wrote:
Rageedi, oba keep up the traditions, boy do i hate our generic arabic pseudo names. the next generation is direly in need of authentic names not western nor arabic names.

Me too bro Im Somali not a bloody arab

NGONGE   

^^ Booto, booto! I dare you to argue that your first three names (you, father and grandfather) does not contain an "Arab" name in them. :P

NGONGE   

oba hiloowlow;917351 wrote:
LOL my name is arabic but not my fathers and Awoowe.
:)
odaygii 7aad ba magac arab heysta. Im kinda proud of that

So you are going to change what your father and your eighth grandfather did? Where is the tradition warya? Where is the dhaqan? What's this bidca? :D

Blessed   

That's an interesting find, what is the history of Muslims in Canada? First migrants are mostly Shami Arabs, right?

I'm not sure about the name thing..

NGONGE;917357 wrote:
So you are going to change what your father and your eighth grandfather did? Where is the tradition warya? Where is the dhaqan? What's this bidca?
:D

My father did bidca ninyahow ma aniga magacey isku bixiyay Im a follower of the xeer saaxiib. :D