Sign in to follow this  
Reeyo

Love the life you live and live the life you love

Reeyo   

How many of us can actually say they are living the life they have always wanted and things are going just as they wanted it, little regrets and no ifs.

It's that time of year and the dominate culture is demanding we all look back and smile about it or take action and change. Its self-reflection open season.

Although I hate this season with a deep passion I take this aspect and honour it every year. Not the typical 'New Years resolution' and make a nonsense list but take a step back and exercise introspection. Life is too quick and we count down hours using the work activities and social events but never stop to think about how you as person is growing and what the end-result is. I am usually too tired and just look forward to going home and eating and sleeping or chilling with some friends. But Christmass comes around and you've give time to reflect.

My question stands, do you use this time to think and change or just another phase to past by without any real acknowledgment?

Analysis is great but one realises how little control an individual has even on himself; things like the level of moral support, relationships, environment etc matters crucially.

So, getting moral or ethics oriented friends and maintaining close family relationships is already very much and almost entirely the answer; this will help in getting self-discipline in whether it be religious duties, family obligations etc.

Thanks Apophis (you have an inquisitive mind too and some sincerity), having long been reproached to be too idealistic and suffered, I learned my lessons to set lower than ideal expectations even from those you would trust; it's much safer not to expect others to be that moral (we see sheikhs saying and toleratings things I never expected even from an average guy).

Now, a mix of incentives (give and take), assertiveness and social monitoring (others will know; I'll expose things if I have to) seems always sufficient to keep things in check for most humans, rather than relying entirely on their ethical and overall intelligence...

PS; in Islam too, people are only expected to have animal tendencies just like any other animal, hence its open acknowledgement and leeway in the pursuits of natural needs in harmony with common good...

Jacpher   

It doesn't have to wait for a year for one to reflect on their life and show gratitude for the so vast bounties of Allah. Renew your iman often and be content with what your Lord has prescribed for you.

N.O.R.F   

Reeyo;901780 wrote:

My question stands, do you use this time to think and change or just another phase to past by without any real acknowledgment?

Its a good time to watch the 'Year in Review' programmes on TV whether its news or sports. Personally Jan - Dec isn't what I follow in terms of measuring/reflecting on the year. Its more Sept to Aug for some reason (still stuck in academic calendar). The year has gone by faster than Usain Bolt.

Apophis, we agree on questions, just different answers in some cases.

Had restless, inquiring periods too just like many of the Solers.

It may sound ironical but many preachers and historical figures or scholars were exactely in the same situation (and many religious brothers were initially very liberal in terms of lifestyle).

It's great to examine things but one needs to let go ego and passions to see more clearly.

In my case, the somewhat sudden death of my paternal grandfather in 2003 following that of grandmother 3 months earlier ringed the alarms more loudly; caring for him the last days and seeing how vulnerable such strong man was then to common pneumony, despite the best doctor in town etc, made me realise that illusions and passions were clouding our senses all too often.

Reeyo   

Abu-Salman, I agree, with the passing away of a loved one it always shatters some illusions we're unaware off. I've had a similar experience with death not once but 3 times and suddenly many things don't matter anymore.

And yes maintaining and building on the relationships you share with family and friend is crucial to the balance of living a moral purposeful life. It's strange how easy it is to forget to call your mother or not see a sibling for a year and live out a very 'free'/no obligation selfish life.

I believe we are living most of the time without an realizations and sometimes its scary where we are without knowing how we got there.