Sign in to follow this  
chubacka

Winter is making me anti social

Raamsade   

I loathe everything about Winter: the sleet, the slush, the snow, the freezing rain, the salt, the dreaded 10-5 minutes to warm the car in the morning, the grandma style driving to avoid accidents, the snow shoveling, the cold hands and feet, the frigidly cold days that feel like -40 C, etc.

But then I live in Canada where we get real Winters unlike Europe. We Canadians watched with great deal of bemusement couple of years ago when the whole of Europe came to standstill because of 20 cm of snowfall. I remember going to High School wading through kneed-deep snow. So, lets spare some sympathy for those of us who really need it.

Raamsade   

Apophis, Only Russians living in Siberia and few farflung corners of Russian Federation but the rest have nothing on us Canadians. It all depends on where you live in Canada though. Southern BC is not bad at all. But if, at the height of Winter, you find yourself in places like Brimstone Head, Newfoundland, where the Flat Earth Society believes is one of the 4 corners of the earth, good luck surving there.

chubacka   

Alamdulliah we don't get winters like this, just dark afternoons, with lots of wind and the never ending dreary rain as if it can't really bothered to rain properly.

I am getting that winter is for cosy evenings indoors. Maybe I should do a course online and emerge in spring fluent in sign language or something.

Jacpher;896987 wrote:
^lack of winter outdoor activity?? On this side of the river, we do plenty of winter activity.

Go out and enjoy the outdoor, build snowman, ice fishing, snowmobile, snow skating/skiing, snowshoeing. We haven't had enough snow fall but I am hoping we get enough soon so I can take the little ones do some sledding down the hill in the snow. Fun day in the snow with the kids. A good friend of mine offered I should come along as he takes a group of people to winter hiking for two days and some ice fishing this winter. I might take up on his offer.

I meant the crowded sidewalks we get during other times of the year. People in Toronto seem to have an aversion to snow, leaving the streets empty for myself:D