Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Dabshid: The real Soomaali new year

Carafaat   

oba hiloowlow;851978 wrote:
horta i was wondering about badgalka what is that i remember when i was a little kid i participated badgalka there was like shirib and stuff and then they took a big cow to badda, what was the purpose of that dadkii yaqaan?

Acudubilaah, this sounds like a pagan tradition. Sacraficing animals to the elements(water, earth, sun, etc).

Naxar Nugaaleed;852199 wrote:
So does anyone know when dabshid is this year

Kor masoo aqrinin miyaa adiga? It is now, in this month. It was already celebrated in Xamar.

HIlowloow, Istunka, Shirta iyo Badgalkaba waa wada dabaaldegga Dabshidka. Badgalka Shabeellaha Dhexe ku badantahay, Shirta waxaa lagu sameyaa Xamar, siiba xaafadihii qadiimiga ee Xamarweyne iyo Shangaani. Istunkana Afgooye ahaa iyo Awcismaanka iyadana Marka lagu qaban jiray.

I remember this annual event in Xamar when crowds of people used to come out to the streets in the night with a new moon and used to hit metal pans. I don;t know if this was during dabshid?

I remember my auntie saying that this event was aduunyo gudoon(apocalypic) and making me scared.

Carafaad, laba Dabshid isku qaldeysaa. This Dabshid waa celebration, oo sanad cusub ahayd. Ciyaalkeena mar mar qashinka ayaa gubi jirnay habeenkii markaas laga dul boodi jiray.

The other one aad ku qaldeysay waxaa la sameyn jiray markuu dayaxa madoobaado. Intii luubaan ama waxyaabo kale qiiq dhaliyo idinka laga buuxiyo ayee ciyaalka isdaba ordi jireen iyagoo xaafadahana kusoo wareegi jiray isla markaasna ducooyin aqrinaayo. Waa ilooway waxa la aqrin jiray. Mar mar xataa dab ayaa la shidi jiray laga kor boodi jiray. Saacado socon jirtay.

Nothing to do with Nayruus. Nayruus is celebrated in Maarso, Dabshid in Luulyo. Two complete traditions, which share the fire celebration. And the fire is our 'fireworks.'

It doesn't mean Soomaalida weren't aware Nayruus, because they did since our forefathers traded with Persians and even a few of our cities and towns have Persian influence and names, like Muqdisho, Banaadir iyo Gendershe.

RaMpAgE   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;852210 wrote:
Nothing to do with Nayruus. Nayruus is celebrated in Maarso, Dabshid in Luulyo. Two complete traditions, which share the fire celebration. And the fire is our 'fireworks.'

It doesn't mean Soomaalida weren't aware Nayruus, because they did since our forefathers traded with Persians and even a few of our cities and towns have Persian influence and names, like Muqdisho, Banaadir iyo Gendershe.

Tell me where you the idea that muqidhso, banadir or gendershe have persian origins and I mean proper references not Samatar or IM Lewis, but proper references.

RaMpAgE   

Naxar Nugaaleed;852270 wrote:
^ am sure mma can u references if he his so inclined but if u ruled out two of the highest authorities on all things Somali, who the heck are you looking for?

Who's the highest authority you speak off

Blessed   

Rampage

Muqdisho was part of the Persian Empire and then it was part of the Omani Empire - not sure if it ever fell under Ottoman rule. The name Muqdisho originates from the the term 'Maqcad Shah' as the Arabs referred to it. This is according to Abdullah Hakim Quick in his Islam in Africa and he references early Islamic historians.

UZTAAD;851967 wrote:
yes Somalis have their own calendar they don't use months to count year instead they use days and it is 365 days. for example when you want to know the time of the year you will say today the year 100 days or 150 days Etc . they use it to know when the rain will come so keep some type of counting for example the Deyr season will start 4oth day of the Somali year like wise they know when the time of gu will come and end. another interesting thing is that every year is named after the day it started for example if year starts a Friday is called Friday year, sanno jamccaad, oro sano axadaad, sono khamiisaad, depend on the which day the year stated

What happens when the rains don't come for a long period?

RaMpAgE   
Rampage

Muqdisho was part of the Persian Empire and then it was part of the Omani Empire - not sure if it ever fell under Ottoman rule. The name Muqdisho originates from the the term 'Maqcad Shah' as the Arabs referred to it. This is according to Abdullah Hakim Quick in his Islam in Africa and he references early Islamic historians.

Blessed its sometimes better to learn about your history your self then from some so called sheik who doesn't have any historical understanding of the place. First of all their was never an Persian Empire in Somalia, nor did they control any part of Somalia, that is a huge historical inaccuracy. Whiles Mogadishu was brief occupied by the Omani Sultanate of Zanzibari it was only few years before Italian Colonization came.

What I dislike the most is Somalis who have no knowledge of their own history, who believe anyone and anything without even thinking and question what that person says.