Sign in to follow this  
AYOUB

After a lifetime of struggle to serve Islam, Sheikh Deedat dies

AYOUB   

8/8/2005 10:47:00 AM GMT

Sheikh Ahmed Hussein Deedat, the founder of The Islamic Propagation Centre International, died this morning at the age of 87.

The funeral will be held at the Lotusville Masjid, thereafter proceeding to the Verulam Cemetery at about 6pm this evening.

In 1986, and after a lifetime of struggle to serve Islam and defend it against the onslaught of the missionaries, Sheikh Deedat received King Faisal Award for SERVICE TO ISLAM; this was the first time the prestigious award was given to a South African.

In 1996, shortly after his trip to Australia, where he gave an excellent lecture on the theme Easter: A Muslim viewpoint, Sheikh Deedat suffered a severe stroke and was confined to bed.

His extensive knowledge of the Bible and humorous way of explaining Religion, made Christians he had close contact with re-examine their faith, specially those aspects of the Bible and the Qur'an that speak about the divine mission and life of Prophet Jesus (Peace Be Upon Him).

Sheikh Deedat lived in South Africa, where he helped hundreds of people, including a large number of Christian Missionaries, embrace Islam.

He was born in 1918 in the Surat district of India. His father, a tailor, immigrated to South Africa shortly after the birth of Ahmed. In 1927, Sheikh Ahmed went to South Africa to be with his father. And there, he started preparing for the role he was to play decades later without realizing it. He managed to overcome the language barrier and actually excelled in school.

Sheikh Ahmed started to wok at the age 16 to finance his schooling.

In 1936, he worked at a store near a Christian seminary, on the Natal South Coast. Nonstop insults of the trainee missionaries against Islam inflamed Ahmed’s desire to defend his religion against their false propaganda.

In the store, Sheikh Ahmed found this book entitled "Izharul Haq"; Truth revealed, which explained and listed the techniques and enormous success of Muslims in India in turning the tables against Christian missionary under the British rule. The book basically tackled the idea of holding debates and this had an amazing effect on Sheikh Deedat.

Sheikh Ahmed purchased his first Bible and started to have long discussions with the trainee missionaries, he actually invited their teachers and priests in the surrounding areas to join their debates. His success in those discussions laid his leg on the path of Da’wah.

The next three decades, Sheikh Ahmed Deedat devoted himself to the service of Islam. He established Al Salam Institute, which also included a Masjid, with the aim of training propagators of Islam.

He established the Islamic Propagation Centre International (IPCI) and became its President, a position he continued to hold until he died.

Sheikh Deedat published over 20 books and delivered thousand of lectures all over the world.

Please pray for Sheikh Deedat and his family.

The Islamic Propagation Centre International will continue the work the Sheikh has started to serve Islam.

Any queries, please contact his son Youssuf Deedat on +2732 533 1790 or mobile +2782 670 1652. (try 002782 670 1652).

----------

inna lillah wa inna ilayhi raajiicuun.

Baluug   

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raajicuun.Sheikh Deedat helped many people to learn their diin better,myself included.May Allah forgive him his sins and increase his rewards.Amiin.

Mashallah a person who fought for Islam Ive always admired and taught Muslims our religion in the process. May Allah have mercy on his soul and be pleased with his efforts. Amin

Bishaaro, he was a south african of Indian origin.

ina lilah waaina lillahi raji uun

he wrote many books on islam and christianity,

may allah accept all his deeds and forgive all his sins inshallah.

somehow i always thought he died long time ago.

where did he die?

Haashim   

Ilaahay Raxmadiisa iyo Jannadiisa ha ka waraabiyo. ALLAH may REWARD HIM for his JIHAD and EFFORTS to defend ISLAM. His books, lectures and debates with non-muslims will never be forgetten. AAMMIIN

S.O.S   

Assalaamu calaykum,

Illaahay ha u'naxariisto sheekha, waa tusaallo aad muhiim u'ah u'na baahan in lagu cibriqaato. Sheekha aduunka wuu ku shaqaystay, Islaamkana aad ayuu wax u'taray, dhamaanteenna noo wada anfacay. Inngana sidaasoo kale ayaa inalooga baahanyahay inaan u'shaqaysanno, sababtoo ah kulligeen waxaynu ku dambayn doonnaa isla godkaa sheekha maanta loo hoyiyay!

Modesty   

Salaamu alaykum,

May Allah grant him Jannah and his family and all the muslims , amiin. The first time I heard of this shiekh was this link I came across accidently, it was a debate between him and a priest. Masha'Allah, the way he was talking I instantingly took a likely to him. I heard he was sick. Again, may Allah take him to Jannah, he has worked for Islam and the ummah.

Ina lilahi wa ina ilaahi raajicuun. May Allah grant him one of the highest paradise, Amiin. I was fortunate enough to have seen a debate more than 10 years ago in Canada. Although I was very young, I remember walking out of that debate astonished and inspired. He truly possessed an incredible talent in Dawa'aa. He will be missed.

http://www.jamaat.net

Originally posted by Shams-ud-Din:

Assalaamu calaykum,

Illaahay ha u'naxariisto sheekha, waa tusaallo aad muhiim u'ah u'na baahan in lagu cibriqaato. Sheekha aduunka wuu ku shaqaystay, Islaamkana aad ayuu wax u'taray, dhamaanteenna noo wada anfacay. Inngana sidaasoo kale ayaa inalooga baahanyahay inaan u'shaqaysanno, sababtoo ah kulligeen waxaynu ku dambayn doonnaa isla godkaa sheekha maanta loo hoyiyay!

Ina lillah wa inaa ileeyhi Raajicuun(We are Of God and we will surely return to Him only)..May God rest his soul in paradise..Amiin

Some of his work...Please make a copy for your self... http://www.jamaat.net

http://www.jamaat.net/deedat.htm

This man was awesome. A truly inspirational character. A man of immense talent as a public debator and one of the most humble muslims I've ever seen. I've had the pleasure of watching tapes of some of his debates with Christian preachers and he truly made me proud.

May Allah forgive his sins and grant him jannah. Amin.

Som@li   

Indeed he was talented,i was once lucky to attend one of his lectureS in the Mujama Thaqafi at Abu Dhabi some years ago,I can still recall his words. May allah grant him the hishest in Jannah.