Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Why do Somali's have an 'Alien' taste?

N.O.R.F   

^its hoarding (to keep people out of a construction site) not fencing. It will be taken down when construction is completed.

El Punto, there are no codes in place at the moment. Its a free for all.

ElPunto   

I understand Norf - but an attractive building increases the value and potential rental income of your building/home not to mention decent landscaping.

There are a lot of Somalis who would buy homes in the country if only standards were raised and infrastructure put in place. Ppl are shelling out hundreds of thousands for middle east homes if a model community like this was available in Somalia - that wouldn't happen.

Alys%20Beach%20Rooftops.jpg

This is the video of the model community - it could be replicated in Somalia:

http://www.alysbeach.com/Community/AlysBeachVideo/tabid/72/Default.aspx

Also if you take a look at the specs on the homes - they give a number of ways that theyre adapted to the hot climate of Florida where it located from reflective white roofs to narrow deep set windows to thick block cement that keeps out heat. All adaptabel to Somalia.

Chimera   

Wow, man that's too much white, such an eyesore. This only works in desert-like environments (which Somalia isn't despite the common perception that it is) where the white colour blends with the beige colours of the landscape surrounding it. White and green don't go well together.

This is my ideal house in Somalia:

images__properties__photos__1332176497_8

images__properties__photos__1332176527_8

ff80808127b32dad0127d02621fa3a54.jpg

faarah22   

it's not only their architecture that looks alien. its their clothing also. you often seen them rocking comically long cotton shirts, and funny looking baggy trousers akin to sarwal of pakistanis (in eastleigh, xamar, bosaaso, hargeisa). the contemporary dress trends do indeed seem to bypass somalis.

Marksman   

faarah22;837436 wrote:
it's not only their architecture that looks alien. its their clothing also. you often seen them rocking comically long cotton shirts, and funny looking baggy trousers akin to sarwal of pakistanis (in eastleigh, xamar, bosaaso, hargeisa). the contemporary dress trends do indeed seem to bypass somalis.

How do you guys think Somalis will be dressed when peace comes again inshallah? Do you think Western style clothing will be more popular or more in the line with traditional Somali or (Saudi) Arabic style?

I think when peace returns most people will become and stay pragmatic. Especially the men.

Carafaat   

Marksman;837489 wrote:
How do you guys think Somalis will be dressed when peace comes again inshallah? Do you think Western style clothing will be more popular or more in the line with traditional Somali or (Saudi) Arabic style?

I think when peace returns most people will become and stay pragmatic. Especially the men.

Alien!

fashion_1451.jpg

N.O.R.F   

I once knew a guy who worked with Somalis. He worked next door to a place where large amount of money were exchanged (not a xawaala). He kept asking me why Somalis, even when quite well off, dressed like they did (surwaal iyo shaadh balaadhan). I had no answer. Its something that needs to change.