Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

TFG Constitution Minister Disapproves Istanbul Conference

Somalia   

PRESS RELEASE

The Ministry of Constitution, Federalism and Reconciliation wishes to express its grave concern on the selection of the civil society groups for the Somali Istanbul Pre-Conference. As already highlighted by many parts of the Somali Society, including key signatories of the Road Map, the selection process lacks transparency, and may inadvertently impact the progress made thus far on the End of Transition processes. A quick glance at the invitee list shows that the civil society members are not inclusive and exclude mainstream civil society groups. Furthermore, politically motivated members of the parliament and politicians were amongst the so called civil society groups that went to Istanbul.

The Minister of Constitution, Federalism and Reconciliation H.E. Abdurahman Hosh Jibril said “We register our displeasure that an unrepresentative self-selected group within the pre-conference attendees have hijacked and thus politicized an integral part of the process, a fact which could potentially undermine the integrity and the spirit of all of the agreements and principles agreed to by all stakeholders in the last 9 months, including the recent Addis Ababa Communiqué.” The Minister welcomed an urgent and timely resolve to the concerns of the Somali people by working closely with the Turkish government in ensuring the success of this Pre-Conference and the Istanbul Conference II.

The Ministry acknowledges the full commitment of the government and the people of Somalia to the fruitful results of the recent Addis Ababa Meeting and reminds all of our international partners of the importance of unity of purpose on ending the transition. We call for the continued and unreserved support for the Roadmap process, Mogadishu Consultative Conference, Mogadishu Civil Society Meeting, the Garowe 1 and 2 Agreements, the Galkayo Agreement, the on-going Traditional Leaders’ conference and the Addis Ababa Communiqué. The Transitional Federal Government relies on the brotherly and friendly countries of Somalia, inter alia the Turkish Government, to support the implementation of the sustainable state-building process for peace

The Minister further added that “we are looking forward for an urgent review of our concerns in order to put the process on its right track. I must remind all that at this critical juncture, the Somali government and its international partners ought to show a unity of purpose so that we can end the transition as expeditiously as outlined under the Roadmap agreements.”

The Transitional Federal Government of Somalia expresses gratitude for the developmental and humanitarian role played by Turkey and for its continued support for the people of Somalia. Equally, the Transitional Federal Government is deeply appreciative of the good intentions of the Turkish government in convening and facilitating the Istanbul Conference to rally the support of the international community for Somalia’s future.

-END-

So now the TFG is also against what's orchestrated in Turkey. The problem is not Turkey, lets not blame Turkey for sinister agenda's of some wicked groups , its a section of the TFG probably Aala Sheikh wing ( not sure though) that are trying to trigger another unnecessary and reckless conflict among the Somalis, everyone is complaining about the same thing, the plea is genuine it looks.

In the wake of the few weeks left for the hope of August for Somalia and the reestablishment of a permanent government, I hope another conflict within the TFG doesn't broil out. Let's hope everything is resolved abruptly.

Somalia   

Exactly, we already stated the selection of civil societies and odayaal representing who knows what is the problem.

The civil societies which are not part of those in the road map and the unknown odayaal will be counted as the ones who will choose the NCA, and then they will carry out the election. That's why Sheikh Shariif did this hastily.

It seems Turkey entrusted this and the invitation process to the Ala Sheikh as the head of the state of Somalia and expecting them to behave responsibly. Everyone including this TFG wing, Puntland, ASWJ and Galmudug were expecting Ala Sheikh to also behave responsibly and include delegates from all sides of Somali politics but they ignored and neglected everyone but their side. That's pure silliness and knowing Somalis and their hot bloodlessness they will never accept it but only prolong their muscle stretching power struggle.

Now I heard Turkey has intervened and is putting doubts on the behaviors of those entrusted to fairly manage the delegates. Let's wait and see the end result insha'allah.

Liban   

I think this istanbul conference is filled with political cheerleaders who are dying for the spot light and their time to shine. Same type of people who declare that they are the new president of the many self declared maamul gobleed somewhere in somalia, remember we had so many of those. Civil Society groups are the same type of breed. This breed could be identified by their fake titles such as engineer, doctor, professor and yeah the most abused the military title. Furthermore, this group also could be identified by opposing to any existing leadership in Somalia as they always feel they can do better and there is always some problem with the leadership. So, the cure is to give them the leadership. Then, they are also no good as a newer breed always rises to play the new haters or opposition role.

In short, that is the type of scenario taking place in Turkey. TFG leadership and their Haters disguised as Civil Society Groups.

Marksman   

Holy moly. Everyday seems to be like a latin soap opera. I'm just wondering why the TFG didn't know about who the civil society was that was invitied to Turkey. And how can Turkey think to decide who belongs to the civil society of Somalia? People need to communicate!

I don't mean to get paranoide, but I'm not buying this anymore: Turkey sees Somalia as neither an area of interest nor as a risk or security threat, but as a place where humanity’s conscience would be tested.

We do have to keep it together. This conference could make Somalia receive over a billion dollars in reconstruction alone. I really hope to see a positive outcome. And perhaps even interesting sketches and renders of infrastructure. But I guess the Somali drama continues. It reminds me of Game of Thrones.