Sign in to follow this  
nuune

Somalia 2025 Vision - A must achieve goals

nuune   

I am not a dreamer, but very optimistic about the future of Somalia, what I am listing here is not a fancy list, it is a fact, a goal, and an achievable objective, it needs planning, vision, and hard work.

When everyone has a job, when everyone feels secure in the environment they live, when fear and lack of safety for your family is no longer the issue, this is the future, this is not a dream, Somalia in 2025 is for Somalis, everywhere, everywhere!

Here is the 2025 vision for Somalia, add your own list that you think will be achievable:

Transport 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Aviation, re-establishment of Somali Airlines, going green for low emission planes, that means buying or leasing newly built planes that are ONLY within 5 years old, by doing this, you are saving HUGE amount on fuel consumption, at the end of the project, the planes used by Somalia Airlines would number 150 aircraft.

The airline would be a major player in Somalia, flying to every region in the country, and internationally, adding multiple destinations in every year would bring the destinations that the airline flies to every continent around the world.

This project when completed can create up to 150 thousand jobs in airport management and general labor, cabin crew, pilots, security etc

- Construction of airports in major cities and town, this can create up to 100 thousand jobs during the construction period,

- Rail Network System, pretty much easy, is a project that can take about 5-8 years to build, maximum 10 years to connect the whole Somalia, this would be achieved before 2025 Transport Vision, if the project gets started in two years time.

This project when completed would create half a million jobs, and 100 thousand jobs during the construction period.

- Road Transport System, construction and maintenance of existing and new roads, routes and bridges, thousands of kilometers of constructed roads.

This project when completed would create half a million jobs, and 150 thousand jobs in construction and road maintenance.

I haven't added the bus network, the tram network, that will connect cities and major regions, huge area that can employ as many as 100 thousand jobs.

Healthcare 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Major hospitals in ever city and town,

- Medical clinics and facilities that will cater for primary care and secondary care,

- Children's hospitals

This project would create one million jobs when completed by 2025, it is a huge project, and can even create more jobs when pharmacies, nursing, and other types of related healthcare is added.

Education 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Construction of new primary and secondary schools together with existing one's in major cities, towns and every location where there is a shortage of schools,

- Construction and upgrading of higher education such as universities and Institutes of Technology,

- Establishment of Research Centers that is for pure development of science,

This project when completed will create 200 thousand primary and secondary teachers, as well as 50 thousand university and Institutes of Technology lectures, the labor working in these schools who will not be involved in teaching will number 100 thousand jobs, as well as 80 thousand jobs during the construction period.

Agriculture 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Farming, farming, crops, the list is too long but you got the idea, farming in regions where there the Juba and Shabelle river are located, and create man-made canals in areas where there are no rivers, these will provide for farming in the these remote areas or sub-saharan.

- Farming, animal products, such as milk and meat, factories will be built to process bottled and canned meat,

- Other areas of agriculture will also be added into this list

This project when completed, will create half a million jobs in farming, process, production and general labor.

Factories 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Re-establishment of the sugar factories in Mareere and Jowhar: can create 20 thousand jobs

- Beverage and food processing factories and upgrading current one's: this can create up to one million jobs

- Mining and steel production, the material is available in Somalia, only equipment is needed: can create 50 thousand jobs

- The list is long, but all in all:

This project when completed, will create 2 million jobs in industrial, manufacturing, and general labor.

Marine 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Fishing industry, this is huge project that will interconnect the over 3500 kilometers of ocean resources

This project when completed will create up to 200 thousand jobs in all areas of fishing routes, with factories that will process the resources.

Banking 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Major banks in major cities and towns,

- Other financial sectors such as hawala also included

This project would create 190 thousand jobs with 800 branches in the country.

Security 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Military for the country: 80 thousand in numbers meaning 80 thousand jobs, will be stationed in all corners of the country

- Police force: 160 thousand police, meaning 160 thousand jobs

- Coast guide: very important sector and non existence, to guide the over 3500 kilometers of sea: 50 thousand personnel, meaning 50 thousand jobs.

- Air force: will employ 2 thousand personnel in piloting, maintenance, engineering and other areas such as general labor.

in total, when completed this project, it will create nearly half a million jobs in security and the protection of the country

Local Government and Municipalities 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Establishment of local authorities that will govern cities and town, to assess and look into major areas such as planning, cleaning, housing and other areas

When completed, this project will create 200 thousand jobs, this is the center of development, as the local authorities account everything that is taking place in its location.

Tourism 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Construction of resorts and smaller airports in areas that of interest near the coast, this creates up to 20 thousand jobs

- Construction of hotels, minor and major, this creates up to 30 thousand jobs

- Construction of parks and conservation areas, this creates up to 10 thousand jobs

Add your list please if I left out anything

It will be amazing, that unemployment will not be an issue, and that Somalia will seek foreign workers to fill out job posts.

This will not work while you sit and do nothing, this will work when you take part, participate, contribute, invest, and give advise, you are the winner in either way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Saddex bey naagtu igu lagadey:

1- Kabaha oo saan ahaa

2- Dhulka oo sibidh ahaa

3- iyo naagta oo sinsaariyada(qonofka) aad u taqiiney

NGONGE   

In 13 years? And you say you're not a dreamer! :D

If Somalia manages to establish proper systems of government. If it can maintain peace. If it can begin a sembelance of a rebuilding process and if it can improve (at least to the minumum requirement) its health care and education in the next thirteen years then you are into a winner, saaxib. Airplanes, trains and trams waa hadalada qof xalwo ka dergay ee naga daa sheeko jinnka ninyaho.

With Billions of dollars donated to rebuild Mogadishu ,,,, Something can be achieved ,,,, but let's talk about the corruption and thsoe political gangs

nuune   

^^ JB, corruptin and gangs will end soon Inshaa Allaah, lets all eradicate it, and punish those who are involved.

Ngonge, qof xalwad ka dhargey, Juxa ayaad ula jeedaa, haku maqasho,

13 years is is a very long time, this is the average that Somalis in the diaspra spent living in the West, that is for those who arrived around 1998.

green airlines is what made Turkish Airlines to be the number one all the time, minimum maitenance, and low fuel consumption, they achieved that in less than 5 years.

Rail network is not difficult to build, a project that can connect one thousand kilometers can last less than 4 years, do that for few more thousand kilometers and you are on track for the 13 years.

Don't tell me construction of hospitals cannot be built within 13 years,

What about banking system, a lot of time weeyaan 13 years, banking system can be developed in a time frame of 7 years, that is even a bit too much.

Jinniyada have a far better service and transport that you can travel in less than minutes to a place that humans will travel for days, this is what I like about Jinnis.

NGONGE   

^^ War ma diidin dee. I just don't think your ideas here are that realistic. Indeed, some of what you suggest can be done in those thirteen years (which is not a long time by the way) but most can not. In fact, everything can be done within FIVE years but for that to happen, you will need money (lots and lots and lots of money). A country that is trying to get back on its feet does not have the experience nor the ability to do all this in thirteen years, saaxib (even if it had the money). What was it that Somalis said about the qonyar socod again? Oh yeah, he does not step on landmines.

nuune   

NGONGE;828409 wrote:
In fact, everything can be done within FIVE years but for that to happen, you will need money (lots and lots and lots of money). A country that is trying to get back on its feet does not have the experience nor the ability to do all this in thirteen years, saaxib (even if it had the money).

I know ma diidanid, and wish all the listed to happen, money is not the main factor, investment will come from various ways, in fact, each sector of the mentioned projects will fund itself through different ways, take example in the case of Rail Network, this project would be awarded to a Chinese company, they will fund it and provide advice, training, design, and construction would be done by Somalis together with the Chinese advisers.

Banking system, it is technology that you need to manage banking needs, that technology can be easily obtained, and spread all over the country,

Yes, experience and training would be needed, but if you refuse to advise r share your financial experience, then the goal would not be achieved, so the projects is for all to invest and train others.

Etihad Airways, how old is she, yes, it is a government owned full of money, but they didn't pay full amount when they purchased or leased new planes that is a world class, they order 60 planes, and they pay later, we can use such schemes, and in few years, pay back that money, or in installments.

True, bringing couple of factories into the country is not a big problem, you can bring as many as 50 factories into the country and make it into operation once you have the experience and training to operate them, in fact, the average factory you can bring into the country costs less than 100 thousand dollar, that is a salt processing factory, a printing factory, steel producing factory, shoe making making.

A big new introduction would be renewable energy, the solar, the wind, the water, this sector or project alone can create up to 100 thousand jobs.

I know I am going in circles, but xaraartadaaa igu sii kacdey un, shaahna waan cabey qorfeysan oo heyl iyo dhagayare ku jiro, maalmahan Jiniyadii waan ka reestey but will return to them later tonight, had to attend a session which is very important to me, and to them.

I think brother Nuune is onto something about airlines as Ethiopian Airlines is of world standard and generated $120 millions of profits alone in 2010, surpassing its aims and it enhances greatly national prestige.

However, their growth is doomed on the long run as it is impossible to compete with gulf Airlines such as Emirates.

Things like soda or tobacco factories may be very lucrative but I hope all those businesses to get banned (produce or manufacture only what is essential and compatible with optimal health; at the very least, strong disincentives and planning is crucial).

I agree too that money is not a worry here as aid influxes, loans etc will only enhance corruption and distort everything starting from attracting the wrong leaders, priorities etc.

Actually, even if offered free railways (to ferry what?) and wasteful highways when densities are still very low, this can only create distractions and distortions, not to mention being influenced from abroad (notice how nobody offers surgeons, essential drugs supply systems etc).

Unlike those business minded, I think focusing on anti-corruption, nationalising strategic industries such as telecoms and taxation will provide ample revenues to focus then on what really matters and will require much attention, ie building a very frugal yet efficient health system and spreading litteracy (Cuban doctors may be the most valuable foreign import).

Preventing inequalities and unnecessary suffering while building the human capital should be the aim, not creating millionnaires or artificial opportunities for diaspora, foreigners etc.

nuune   

Abu Salman good points sxb, but one thing, you mentioned taxation strategy, how would that improve revenue when there are no jobs, taxation comes when there are plenty of jobs, hence why I mentioned the projects, they create JOBS, the government gets revenue from the workers, it then improves the infrastructure and other sectors such as health system, a balance has to exist.

I am aware of Ethiopian Airlines and how they operate, but their target market is only limited to Africa, remember, Ethiopia is BIG country, and they fly to less than 10 destination domestically, a real shame indeed.

Their constant profit has to do with their expensive ticket, you pay $350 dollar return ticket from Addis Ababa to Dire Dawa, an hour flight and few minutes, with Fokker, with a jet, an hour or less.

A ticket to London will cost 900 pound and more with Ethiopian Airlines, with Turkish Airlines, you get 600 euro return from London, and yet, Turkish Airlines are in profit, because of the frequency they fly into world destinations, Ethiopia flies to less destinations but with very expensive tickets, so they in profit.

Chimera   

Great topic, you should have posted it in the Camel Milk Debate section where people are allowed their dreams and visions of the future, without the heckling. I will contribute when I have more time.

Marksman   

We should think like the Israelis as well when it comes to commerce and industries. Today for instance I realized that many of my clients are Israelis. I'm working on a huge medical congress. The amount of people that came from other areas of the Middle East or other 'Islamic' nations was extremely low. That hurt.

Oh, about the fact that Somalis seem to be pretty everywhere. I do have to agree. When I was in South Korea for 5 months, I even found Somali people. LOL. We are like jews on the 'scattered' part.

There is much possible in Somalia and sadly to say, maybe we realized our full potential at one of our lowest points. From now on we can only go but up.

My personal plans aren't as big as yours NUUNE, but it is possible if only the leaders, intellectuals and planners can agree that being a 3rd world country in this globalized world is unacceptable.

I do hope that we do more trade with Asian countries, instead of the West that is in decay. Countries such as China, Japan and South Korea who have an amazing apetite for a lot of our resources. Be it myrrh, frankincense, frozen meat, oil/gas (if there is such), iron ore, tin, gypsum, bauxite, uranium, copper, salt and the list goes on.

Did you know for instance that South Koreans export the most aloe vera drinks in the world? Also myrrh for other cosmetic related products and medicine. Uganda already sees this potential.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200704230896.html

Think outside the box. That for instance something as simple as myrrh and frankincense are hugely needed in Asian countries that perform rituals for their religion, life style or health.

I wonder if it is really true what foreigners always say about the Somali people and their entrepreneurial spirit and skills.

Language is also key in this. I truly hope other languages will be spoken widely and taught in the future Somalia. I'm not talking about Arabic, but for instance English and other Asian languages that will be extremely important in the near future.

nuune;828444 wrote:
Abu Salman good points sxb, but one thing, you mentioned taxation strategy, how would that improve revenue when there are no jobs, taxation comes when there are plenty of jobs, hence why I mentioned the projects, they create JOBS, the government gets revenue from the workers, it then improves the infrastructure and other sectors such as health system, a balance has to exist.

Indeed, new thinking such as urban agriculture (not just greens, peri-urban camel dairy was shown to be a great idea in a study by Jigjiga university), pushing labor intensive processes and industries, state schemes etc will help in that balance.

Though tourism has a whole set of risks, I like the idea of "national civic/military service" (youth trained for and working on public schemes such as reforestation or roads while building social, civic and patriotic skills).

Nationalisations and taxation target more the "easy" and huge profits made in Telecoms and services, cattle dealers, the "money made through money" or rents, consumption and luxuries etc rather than small traders or farmers.

I fear elites greed and other foreign "investments" more than anything else (who seldom prioritize equality or environment as attested by their records everywhere).

Nuune's 2025 vision is something achievable in very short period of time. We only need peace and stability to reach those goals. Given the way things are going so far and the seriousness of the world community toward Somalis issues, I am very optimistic that the eluded peace is within reach.

Great thread nuune

waa kugu ogaa raganimada iyo kartida , dan iyo heello haka gelin kuwaa ku leh ha u fekerin dalkaaga iyo dadkaaga. Haddey cidi yiroonayso qoloda riyootta waa la yaqaan awoowe :D

nuune   

Thanks guys,

I will add few more projects, it seems that most of the projects I listed can be achieved far more less than the time frame I gave, 2025, but this is to give more time in planning, design, teaching & training etc, when few thousand nursing students graduate within 5 years from now, the jobs will be ready for them, they will work for free(pocket money would be given plus food) to get more practical experience on hand and to shine thine their CV, then permanent salary would be given to them when the Banking System is established together with revenue that is stable and able to collect taxation.

Somali Post(Boostada) 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Doesn't exist now, re-establishment of Somali Post, a standard postal system is major connecting player, thousands of branches would be created across the country, delivering everything, from standard to express parcels, to international.

If Irish Postal company employs 10 thousand people, it is a small country(31,521 sq miles (81,638 km²)) compare it to Somalia(246,202 sq miles (637,661 km²)), imagine having postal branches in every town and city in Somalia, even in remote areas, what jobs can be created.

This project when completed would create half a million jobs, that is a small figure, it could be more than half a million jobs.

Ports 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Upgrading existing ports in the country to a world class for easy access

- Creating new ports small and big

The labor market for this project is huge, and the demand is high,

This project when completed would create 50 thousand jobs.

Petroleum 2025, the list for this project would include:

- This project speaks for itself, it can be started before when production kicks off

- Oil and gas is a major resource for reveue

This project when completed would create up to 20 thousand jobs, through process, production, consulting, sales, delivery, and general labor.

Real Estate 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Construction of houses and apartments in major cities and town, that would be given to the public in a very cheap price, sold or rented

- The list for Real Estate can be extended to new areas, and it is a huge investment.

This project would create up to half a million jobs during the construction period, and 200 thousand permanent jobs after the construction period through maintenance, security, technicians, and overall well beings of properties

Communication 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Somalia already enjoys good communication, in telecom wise, it is doing well, but needs to be upgraded, and managed well

- Mobile and Land line system, the exist now but needs good planning and management

- Radio and TV, these exist now but also needs planning and good management, real production of programs and documentaries are needed, real news producing and and editing.

In total, the communication sector in Somalia would be huge, and would create more permanent jobs.

This project would create up to 100 thousand jobs in tv, radio jobs, in mobile and land line communication

Electricity 2025, the list for this project would include:

- Speaks for itself and no explanation is needed,

- Doesn't exist now and people rely on small expensive generators, huge project when undertaken, every household is needed to have access to electricity

- Electricity would be provided from different sources, dumps and power stations, huge generators etc

This project would create up more than 50 thousand jobs, of course salary money would come from the electricity charges, it would be very very cheap.