Sign in to follow this  
Pucca

haraam or not (women on the stage)?

Pucca   

A/salaam

I've been doing plenty of workshops for teens in the past couple of years, girls and boys attend these workshops and i usually get up on stage to talk to them bout different issues that youth face. Well just the other day at the mosque a lady came up to me and said what i was doin was wrong! she went on to say that since i wasn't giving a lecture on islamic topic i had no right talkin before an audience. if this is in fact true then would the presentations one gives in their classes be haraam too?? :confused:

please tell me if i am in fact wrong in what i'm doin...thanks

ta ta

Bambina   

Salaam Alaykum ,

Im pretty sure the lady was a bit too harsh and needed to be open-minded.I dont know , maybe she got something against people getting on stage.But ,since you are not stripping in front of an audience ,lol , you should keep on doing your workshops and talking about issues that matter.

Wiilo   

Assalaama Calaykum sister.

"if this is in fact true then would the presentations one gives in their classes be haraam too??" Good question sis, No i don't think it is haraam, because you are not doing something that Allaah forbid. You are addressing a problem, and Allaah didnot say don't address or talk about a problems. One thing that you must do is to tell people what is wrong and what is right, and if u are just telling our young kids to stay away things that they should stay away from, Allaah will reward you on that. Sister i don't see any wrong that you are doing, please keep doing what u are doing, and Allaah will reward you one day.

Wabillaahi Towfiiq:

The woman who told you that needs to be educated about Islam cause she doesn’t know what she is talking about.

Carry on what you are doing and NO (big NO) is not wrong nor is it Haraam.

My dear sister, the only hadith or verses of Quran i found was about how a woman's voice is a " Cawra". Since you are giving a presentation on any topic, your voice is being heard by the men around you and they are not just watching you but they are also listening to your voice. Allah knows what's in their hearts and thoughts. :rolleyes:

Wearing hijab must be accompanied by the proper mannerisms and speech befitting a modest, pious woman. She should not draw attention to her voice or use it in a soft, pleasing manner that may tempt a man.

Similarly, a muslim man should avoid being around women who speak soft (i.e. speak "sweet", flirt, are excessively thankful, etc), should definitely turn his eyes downward his eyes if viewing (even briefly) such a woman on t.v., and should not listen to female singers.

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Ahzab 33:32

O wives of the Prophet! You are not like any other women. If you keep your duty (to Allâh), then be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy, or evil desire for adultery, etc.) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner.

Muslim men and women should speak calmly and controlled, not raising the voice, except out of necessity, such as yelling 'stop!' to a child who is about to cross a busy intersection without looking, etc.

The Noble Qur'an - Luqman 31:18-19

"And turn not your face away from men with pride, nor walk in insolence through the earth. Verily, Allâh likes not each arrogant boaster.

And be moderate (or show no insolence) in your walking, and lower your voice. Verily, the harshest of all voices is the voice (braying) of the *** ."

I hope this helps chocolata.

Jomaana

the Luqman 31:18-19 is irrelevant in this case, because it doesn't apply to the question above.

She wants to know if there is a hadith that actually supports the claims of the "confused woman"'.

Remember pple, this girl isn't out there walking a certain way, or talking to grown men in a soft and seductive voice, she is talking to kids for allah's sake...and I don't think you people are getting the point.

You are talking about "PROPER CLOTHES", don't you think she knows better when it comes to her clothes etc???

If you don't have any supporting arguments to the claims made against her, then there is no point to discuss this further, because the claims are false.

PS:Chocolaato or anyone else thats reading this topic, the next time someone approaches you and talks to you about what is right/wrong in our religion,or (what's haram and what isn't haram) and if for whatever reason, you are unsure about what you are hearing or you believe in your heart that it doesn't make sense to you, PLEASE LOOK UP. DO A RESEARCH, OR ASK FOR ASSISTANCE OF OTHERS IN HELPING YOU RESEARCH IT. Do not rely on others to help you figure this out, because chances are, they might repeat the same things they heard from others or make false claims. You are better of getting to the bottom of the questions, especially if you are unsure, and this way it gives you an opportunity to actually learn the religion.

assalamu alaikum,

Sister I can sit here and give you my personal view in this matter, but to be honest with you I can't supply you with a particual hadith to justify what you're doing is totally fine. So the best advice I can give you is to atleast talk to 3 learned people in your community. That's always been my way!

Good luck.

Hey

wassup ya....the way i grew up was quit different...but again i remeber that i was told by my macalim hussein that standing up infront of audience and giving out a speech is haram as long as its only woman it wount be haram but if a guy who is mature hear ya voice it's haram...also i came across when i was young i used to attend swahili duqsi which was diff from somali duqsi so i used to get up everytime when we have celebration i used to sing the qaswida where there was guy/woman.... so the way ic is if you are giving a speech about islam is not haram...but again if it's about haloween dance or kwanza dance that is haram coz you are incouraging other people to join some that is not involve in GOD so thats all i can say... and again thats the way i think but dont belive and follow wt i say.