Sign in to follow this  
GaroweGal

Hamza Yusuf

Let me begin by saying I dearly lovE this sheikh for the sake of Allah he is the ONLY western scholar I ever listen to. I love the way he lectures not only is he articulate but a man with an enormous Islamic knowledge. What I can't seem to understand is why other so-called scholars oppose his teachings especially those in the west, like Bilaal Phillips that attacked him publicly.

I don't oppose his teachings as I am not a scholar, I am only a student of Knowledge.

For those of you that are acquainted with Hamza's teachings and Zaytuna College I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this great scholar who refuses to be considered a scholar at all.

Blessed   

If Hamza Yusuf is the ONLY scholar that you listen to, doesn't that limit your scope of understanding?

I recommend that you move away from the personalities of these brothers and look into their teachings or approaches to learning the deen. I didn't read Bilals' critique against Hamza's methodology as a personal attack but as an issue of manhaj and an age old debate.

Correction, He is not the ONLY scholar I listen to rather the ONLY WESTERN scholar and NO it does not limit my understanding of the diin and NO I am not particularly hang up on personalities. I don't believe in Sheikh shopping. Listening to many sheikhs is what gets many students of knowledge confused and I don't wish to find myself in that predicament. I just happen to love the way Hamza explains the religion of Islam and it's teachings. I don't care about his methodology as long as it doesn't contradict Allah's words or the Sunnah of the prophet.

I can't comment on Bilal, I don't know much about the man, but rest assure I found his attack on Hamza to be a personal attack.

Ofcourse Hamza being the classy man he is let it slide under the carpet. Gotta love the man.

Mario B   

LOL, You have a good choice of Sheikh there sista,:D if you could just occasssionaly ignore his rants or his tendency to deviate from the main subject [even that can be rewarding] you will learn a lot from him. I would also recommend Dr Sherman Jackson, he's another jewel in western Islamic scholarship.

Skeptic   

These days, there are people out there (some considered Sheikhs and others been blind followers) that are just out there to attack individuals and groups. I'm NOT in anyway attacking Sheikh Bilal Phillips cuz he is very knowledgeable but i personally do not support the idea of just attacking others cuz they have a different view from yours. Some go to the degree where they say that they are WARNING AGAINST so and so ...

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;816161 wrote:
Tell that to Umul followers, especially those in Afrika. They revere him as though in uu nabi yahay. Bisinka. Haddaa dhahdid wuxuu Umul yiri ma aaminsani, haddii lagu dhagaxleen nasiib ayaa leedahay.

sxb, don't you think it is important to be knowledgeable, before aadan aaminin or diidin? the diin is about Islamic knowledge, not a matter of choice or choosing,,,,,, agreeing or disagreeing with a shaikh should be based on the diin, not on personal feelings.