Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Walking While Back-Trayvon Martin Murder

Obama: "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon"

(CBS News) President Obama spoke out for the first time on Friday about the fatal shooting of an unarmed 17-year-old African-American boy in Florida named Trayvon Martin, calling it a "tragedy."

"I can only imagine what these parents are going through," Mr. Obama said from the White House Rose Garden, "and when I think about this boy, I think about my own kids, and I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this and that everybody pulls together, federal, state and local, to figure out how this tragedy happened."

Mr. Obama said he is glad the Justice Department is investigating the shooting and that Florida Gov. Rick Scott formed a task force in response to the incident as well. The president suggested he was sympathetic to suspicion that the shooting may have been racially motivated.

"You know, if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon," Mr. Obama said.

"All of us have to do some soul-searching to figure out how does something like this happen," he continued. "And that means that we examine the laws and the context for what happened as well as the specifics of the incident."

Gingrich, Romney, Santorum discuss Trayvon Martin

Mr. Obama was asked about the shooting on Friday during an event at which he announced the nomination of Dartmouth College President Jim Yong Kim to be World Bank president.

Martin was shot in Sanford, Florida, nearly a month ago after a confrontation in a gated community with a neighborhood watch volunteer, George Zimmerman.

Zimmerman maintains he shot Martin in self defense, and a Florida self-defense law has so far let Zimmerman remain free. But Martin's girlfriend, who was on the phone with him when it happened, says Zimmerman was the aggressor. Before he shot Martin, Zimmerman called 911 and told an operator an unfamiliar African American was in the neighborhood. The 911 operator told Zimmerman to stop following him.

In spite of the ongoing investigations, outrage over the incident continues to grow.

Martin's mother Sybrina Fulton said on "CBS This Morning" on Friday that she wants Zimmerman arrested. Thousands of people rallied in Sanford on Thursday to push for his arrest, and lawmakers on Capitol Hill have also decried the fact that Zimmerman remains free.

Democratic Rep. Frederica Wilson of Florida took to the House floor on Wednesday to call for justice for Martin, calling the incident "a classic example of racial profiling quickly followed by murder."

After Mr. Obama commented on the shooting today, the Martin family released the following response:

It is humbling that President Obama took time from his busy schedule to talk about Trayvon and offer the support of the Department of Justice and other federal organizations.

The President's personal comments touched us deeply and made us wonder: If his son looked liked Trayvon and wore a hoodie, would he be suspicious too?

We'd like to thank the President and the millions of people from around the world who have shown their support for Trayvon by participating in hoodie marches, rallies or through social media. We are all working together to not only get justice for Trayvon, but also to ensure that this kind of senseless tragedy doesn't happen to another child.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57403200-503544/obama-if-i-had-a-son-hed-look-like-trayvon/?tag=cbsContent;cbsCarousel

ElPunto   

I don't understand how this guy is not arrested. Isn't the self defense motive something that should be proved in court - after all he admitted that he shot and killed the kid. Good ole USA.

Obama is a wimp. Timid about healthcare, timid about taking on the Republicans, timid about speaking out on this - now only after weeks of protests has he finally spoken.

NASSIR   

I think it's time blacks in America recapture their glory and place in mainstream America. They have made and shaped the history and the culture of the United States but they are still treated second class citizens. What surprises me the most is how other races like the Asians, the Middle Easterners have integrated well and taken advantage of opportunities. The recurring problems of social injustice can only be reduced to a certain level and it starts with the adoption of a policy of integration and improving the justice and education system. Network media can also play a big role as it does.

ElPunto   

^It's mostly about culture. The black culture seems to have declined markedly since the 60s. Many things inherently negative are tolerated or even deemed praiseworthy. Doesn't seem to be changing. Bill Cosby got into trouble some years back for talking about this.

NASSIR   

ElPunto;808787 wrote:
^It's mostly about culture. The black culture seems to have declined markedly since the 60s. Many things inherently negative are tolerated or even deemed praiseworthy. Doesn't seem to be changing. Bill Cosby got into trouble some years back for talking about this.

Well said.

NASSIR   

The President's personal comments touched us deeply and made us wonder: If his son looked liked Trayvon and wore a hoodie, would he be suspicious too

CBS

Look at this statement...

Yea the guy's should've been arrested on the spot and thrown in Jail. Don't worry though, I don't ever see him getting outta this without a Jail time. The good thing is, the inmates would dish out their own brand of justice for what he did.

Sensei   

Although this does not represent the progression made in race relations in the US, but this event clearly examines the "post-racial America" phenomena. Fear of the Black Male and profiling is so ingrained in society to the extent that white folks find themselves all of sudden threatened, even when a black youth is unarmed and walking away from them. It is shame that the US DOJ had to interfere provide for justice for the victim. The Orlando suburn police did not only let the murderer walk scot-free, but they tested the body of the victim for drugs assuming that the black youth had to be on drugs. The second part of the story, perhaps one that requires more scrutiny, is the STAND YOUR GROUND law that was sponsored the NRA(National Rifle Association). For those that are not aware, the NRA pours ton of cash into conservatives causes, and especially towards the protection of the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms. The have gone as far as influencing the bills to allow automatic weapons in some states. They push for some effed up laws that put weapons in the hands of dangerous people like George Zimmerman. I would not be surprised if the victim's family sues the NRA once the criminal end is resolved.

Lastly, and the saddest part, this should provide an opportunity for all to address the pandemic black youth killings in the hands of other black kids. Black kids have been dropping like flies in Chicago. The other day some on NPR said " black kid ain't dead until shot by a white person."

Sensei, could you believe he grew up and went to HS in Manassas? I couldn't believe that when i read it online. That probably explains why, :)

Sensei   

Nin Yaabanoow-

Ninkaan waa ******** oo vigilante ah. He had run-ins with the police, when the victim had clean record.

This ***** would have been racist regardless of where he grew up. Just because he has Latina mother or black friends does not exempt him from the racism disposition.

Abdul   

Only in America a guy kills un-armed young boy in cold blood and walks the streets free.Imagine if the victim was white and the killer black.They could have arrested the whole neighbohood.

Abdul;808892 wrote:
Only in America a guy kills un-armed young boy in cold blood and walks the streets free.Imagine if the victim was white and the killer black.They could have arrested the whole neighbohood.

This guy is gonna get what's coming to him. Some people shouldn't be allowed near XABADO let alone carry one. There are million others like him that have no business owning a gun. Damn shame.

faarah22   

if it was at night, then how could this dude have known this was a black guy? could it be the guy was an ***** who was just trigger happy and wanted to kill for fun.

the sad thing is that this Kid went to the Store to buy candy for his little brother. Every time you tell yourself its 2012, how time flies, you get ish that reminds you of the 1800s. This case is Simple, A white guy sees a black kid walking through his neighborhood, he calls the police, they tell they white not to follow the black kid. He not only follows him, he murders him. The police, instead of arresting the murderer, test the victim for drugs. America 2012...