Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Artificial Intelligence Islam?

Chimera   

What will the ramifications be of a humanoid/android successfully simulating ''human intelligence"? If such a humanoid were to convert to Islam, would their prayers be accepted by Allah swt and considered one of his creations? And would such a 'ArtificialIy intelligent being' ever have a chance of reaching Heaven? If not, are the sins or good deeds of this A.I being collected by the human engineers, or are the latter's souls forfeit to Hell for attempting to mimick Allah swt?

Hmmm, I wonder.

- Atheists need not answer, thank you!

Blessed   

Allah creates souls. Soul is placed in a body on earth for a certain time. Soul acts on desires. Soul is tested. Body dies. Soul moves on to the next realm.

Chimera   

Esteemed *Blessed, isn't the word ''soul'' simply an archaic term for ''mind''? If that A.I person feels, thinks, desires and believes himself a Muslim then is he not another creation of Allah swt that sprung to life on this planet?

Narniah   

Chimera;808078 wrote:
isn't the word ''soul'' simply an archaic term for ''mind''?

No it's not. Soul and mind are two separate things. The premise that you base your question on is flawed. Let's worry about that when we have synthetic life forms coming to us with questions on the meaning of life and seeking spirituality. Until then, I'll worry about the ones who are already here, and already asking.

Chimera   

Narniah;808081 wrote:
No it's not. Soul and mind are two separate things.

That's a pretty absolute statement, they clearly overlap.

The premise that you base your question on is flawed. Let's worry about that when we have synthetic life forms coming to us with questions on the meaning of life and seeking spirituality. Until then, I'll worry about the ones who are already here, and already asking.

I'm constructing an intriguing sci-fi short story, must a brother wait several centuries to get the most plausible answer?

Narniah   

Chimera;808082 wrote:
That's a pretty absolute statement, they clearly overlap.

A person can lose their mind and still have their soul.

I'm constructing an intriguing sci-fi short story, must a brother wait several centuries to get the most plausible answer?

Maybe instead of writing fiction stories, a brother should get to work in the lab.:)

Chimera   

Narniah;808086 wrote:
A person can lose their mind and still have their soul.

The mind is always there, subconciously and when unconcious, and nothing suggest a person does not have ''thought'' in the afterlife. A person can lose their car-keys but this doesn't mean the said keys vanished from earth. Insanity is not equal to the disappearance of ''thought''.

Maybe instead of writing fiction stories, a brother should get to work in the lab.
:)

What happened to the days on SOL when it was a big pool of creativity with amazing feedback?

So much latent anger!

Chimera   

We might have been given little knowledge on such a complex subject, but it doesn't mean one can't wonder and rationalise!

Narniah   

Chimera;808088 wrote:
The mind is always there, subconciously and when unconcious, and nothing suggest a person does not have ''thought'' in the afterlife. A person can lose their car-keys but this doesn't mean the said keys vanished from earth. Insanity is not equal to the disappearance of ''thought''.

Well, just as the mind is always there, the soul is as well, until it leaves the body. Perhaps you could say the soul and mind are referring to the same thing, but the brain would be another. What 'organ' houses the mind? What houses the soul?

What happened to the days on SOL when it was a big pool of creativity with amazing feedback?

So much latent anger!

I don't think there is really any "latent anger". I think we differ, that's all.

Chimera   

The brain is an organic computer, the A.I person would simulate that specific computer to create independent thought i.e; a mind of its own, therefore its plausible to say that the brain is the seat of the mind, however emotional feelings can come from various places in the body, including the heart. I would consider the soul to be a combination of mind and body, and sometimes it's used as a synonym to the latter two terms.

If the soul is something completely different from the mind and body, then that would mean in the afterlife everyone would be incorporeal and thoughtless.

Chimera;808069 wrote:
What will the ramifications be of a humanoid/android successfully simulating ''human intelligence"? If such a humanoid were to convert to Islam, would their prayers be accepted by Allah swt and considered one of his creations? And would such a 'ArtificialIy intelligent being' ever have a chance of reaching Heaven? If not, are the sins or good deeds of this A.I being collected by the human engineers, or are the latter's souls forfeit to Hell for attempting to mimick Allah swt?

Hmmm, I wonder.

- Atheists need not answer, thank you!

The secret lies in the word ''artificial''

Secondly, i think there is a missing link in the flow of information, in the above statement. Before asking, the poster should make the case for how it converts to islam, then, and then only will the question be legitimate.

lastly, didn't you write you are an atheist?? if not, then that is what i am reading. If someone reads what you didn't write, is he seeing or believing?

P.s. ''atheism'' is the recipe for destruction...

Blessed   

The soul is not something which is tangible, it existed before the body and will exist long after it is perished. In the Quran, Allah speaks to and of the soul, His greatest creation. The brain, body are tools of the soul which serve it in it's journey in this world and are outlasted by it. It is the soul that attaches meaning and feeling to our experiences of this earth, you see in creating us, Allah has placed state of fitrah (knowing) within us all. Secondly, intelligence doesn't does necessarily translate to recognition of the truth or acting upon it, hence the notion of kufr in Islam despite the our innate state of fitrah. Thirdly, nothing compares to the creation of Allah, as we are limited in our scope of understanding the universe, so will be the 'intelligence' of what is created by us -- such intelligence will be limited to the social understandings of our time..

In any case. thanks for the post, these are interesting ideas to ponder and only brings one to reflect upon the Majesty of Allah (SWT).

Skeptic   

The soul is NOT PRODUCIBLE by any being other then The Supreme. Humans have been asking "WHERE IS THE SOUL LOCATED?" and to this day, there is no reasonable answer ... It can not be seen, touched, felt, smelled, so a good question to an atheist would be, "DO YOU FEEL THAT YOU HAVE A SOUL IN YOU?" ... if YES, then prove it ...