Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Risking it all - The daredevil pilots of Colombia

I saw one of these old timers at RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire earlier this summer. Can't believe that Colombia has so many of these DC3's in service.

Showqi   

The pilot seems to be doing everything by himself from preparing the Take off/ Landing, finding the passengers, literally watching the load of the airplane and flying the plane. Diyaaradiiba wuxuu ka dhigay Siteey Manoogto. Che si fiican baad ula heshay magacaas Siteey Manoogto,,,,:D

It is really scary that they are taking just enough fuel to get to their destination.

Those DC3 are proven and quite rugged planes that can fly with one engine and take much damage yet land;

it could thus be extremely safer than trucks or cars and it's cheap to operate.

I think a few of those would find a ready market in Sland/Somalia and make for a good investment along a hired pilot/mechanic;

training is very quick as it's a propeller and fly by day etc so it could even be a one man business.

I Think they could even halve current prices or open new routes yet make profits;

the Daallo Djibouti-hargeysa/borama line etc is just an overpriced version that rely on leasing plane plus pilote (when that sort of new plane cost around 150 000$ and a pilot could be trained in few months for those conditions).