Sign in to follow this  
nuune

Turkish Airlines inaugural flight, Mogadishu

nuune   

BREAKING NEWS: Turkish Airlines to start domestic flights inside Somalia, this is the greatest news since Somali Airlines made that first flight to Frankfurt, the domestic turkish airlines will be connecting Mogadishu to the rest of the country such as Hargeisa, Bosaso, Galkacyo etc, this will be welcomed, and great dissapointment for Jubba Airways with their fixed $800 return ticket to Dubai.

=========================================

Todys zamaan

Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdağ ® and Somali President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed attended the ceremony in which THY launched its regular flights. (Photo: AA)

Today's Zaman

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Turkish Airlines started flights to Mogadishu this week, the first major international carrier to run a regular service to the Somali capital in more than two decades.

Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdağ flew into Mogadishu to launch the twice-weekly Turkish Airlines service to İstanbul via Sudan's capital Khartoum.

"Somalia was cut off but we have now connected it to the world," he told reporters at Mogadishu's airport on Tuesday.

"We have repaired the airport and now international flights can use it. We have discussed with the president and Turkey will also do local flights inside Somalia."

Somalia has largely been a security vacuum since a dictator was ousted in 1991. Stability is gradually returning to the capital after rebels were forced out by African Union and government troops last year.

Until now, flights into Mogadishu have been operated by small east African operators linking the Horn of Africa nation to neighboring countries.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan visited Somalia last August, the first non-African government leader to do so in nearly 20 years.

The Turks have since opened an embassy, improved the international airport, offered Somalis university places in Turkey and made plans to build a new hospital.

Erdoğan's visit reflected Turkey's efforts to boost its profile in Africa, as it has done in the Middle East in recent years, and to promote itself as a model Muslim democracy.

Turkey is behind other emerging countries such as China, Brazil and India in the race for new markets in Africa. But under Erdoğan's Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government, Turkey has boosted trade with the continent and opened several new embassies, particularly in Muslim Africa.

nuune   

^^ Daallo Airlines wey kacdey maalin dhaweyd ummada Soomaaliyeed inkaartoodi ayaa ku dhacdey, they now only fly between Djibouti & Hargeisa.

Jubba Airways will be next, recently, was flying from Boosaaso connecting to Berbera to Dubai, what happened I can't write here, lets say the Bosaso flight was late until the next day, Friday evening 6pm I supposed to be in Dubai to catch up another flight like many others, and we arrived Saturdey evening 7pm, allready missed all our flights, according to international law, Jubba should have made free bookings for its passengers, but they refused.

Everyone ended up buying new tickets, and those cant got stuck terminal 2 dubai for days and weeks

That scenario happens 2 times a week with jubba airways, the trip from Somalia to Dubai is only 3 hours and 20 minutes, that costs 800 dollars and more, and you end up buying new tickets if they get late.

Daallo went bust up for the same, jubba is next now, ummadii dhanneed baa habaareysa

Samafal   

nuune;799884 wrote:
[
"We have repaired the airport and now international flights can use it. We have discussed with the president and Turkey will also do local flights inside Somalia."

Now that's a clever idea. These hazardous risky planes are reasons why many people and families do not visit Somalia for their holidays. If Turkish airways takes the local routes as well, it will quadrable its customer base and a lot of Somalis will travel with Turkish airways.

Kudos to Turkey, In somalia they have a grateful brother.

nuune   

Che, they have small office in Nasser Square in Dubai, and they trade with a different name, not Jubba Airway, so basically they are not a registered international plane, normally they lease or rent the plane they will use for this week.

A friend of mine was flying from Galkacyo last week, the plane was on the airport, they were made to be at 5am at the airport to depart 7am, but the plane was still there and it is midday, the plane departed 2pm but with no passengers, dadkii baa is weydiiyey, intee u socotaa diyaarada, the passenegers were told diyaarada waxey aadey Gurcieel to collect Suldaanka beesha, and will be back to Galkacyo after one hour, this was the funniest story I heard.

mismanagement, they could have taken all the passengers and collect that Suldaan from Guriceel and head to Boosaaso Berbera and Duba, but they ended up using more jet fuel.

so my friend was going to dubai as usual to catch up another flight, that flight got departed from Galkacyo on the night, and he ended up buying one way ticket to London for 600 euro, it happens to everyone, this is a never ending story.

Hope Turkish Airlines starts that domestic flight soon.

Luckily i've never had the misfortune of flying Daallo as I've heard some truly shocking stories. For as long as i've known the company they have been operating the same tired old Ilyushin Il-18V for the Somalia leg of the journey. Watching this thing land at HGA was a sight in itself, you'd think it was coming in for a crash landing with the amount of black smoke billowing out from the engines. The locals renamed it inshallah airlines:)

They really should have invested in Fokker 50 like Ethiopian airlines when it operated a very profitable but short lived service between ADD and HGA. Its all about customer service and the travel experience. You don't necessarily want to be transported in a part time cargo plane.

It's good to have more options; local airlines such as Daallo could focus on local routes (eg Hargeysa-Djibouti) as before and compete on price.

We need air safety regulations but must remember that air travel is much, much safer than car, particularly with Somalis;

traffic accidents are fast becoming a major massacre in places such as Hargeysa thanks to plenty of cheap cars and no proper roads and policies.

So how much does a London-Hargeysa or London-Djibouti cost with Turkish Airlines?

Return surchage and flexibility on return dates?

NGONGE   

nuune, I checked yesterday and a flight from London to Somalia (with the Turks) costs around £789, return. Naga daaya.

nuune   

Ngonge, I can assure you, that you will not pay more than 650 euro(£540), or to be crazy not more than 595 euro(£495) for return trip to Xamar, the secret, you don't book from London-Xamar, but book from London to Istanbul 200(£166), then Istanbul to Xamar 426 euro(£355), so you are only paying £500 pound from London to Xamar, two tickets there

The journey is the same as if you book the whole journey in one ticket, you only do the 2 hour transit or so but have two tickets instead of one, same thing.

anaa waxan ku soo gubtey niyahow, ee ii sheeg when you travelling, aniga am going there this summer

bahasha barta nimanyahow

NGONGE   

^^ Markaan Hargeisa tego na? :D

I could get a ticket from London to Dubai for £150 and then another to Hargeisa for god knows how much. It'll probably still be cheaper than this. Though £540 to Xamar is a very good price.

p.s.

I am "thinking" of going in four weeks time.

BOB   

Go where NGONGE, Mogadishu? Loooooooooool Naga daa dee.

Peace, Love & Unity.

NGONGE   

^^ Why not? According to you, it is my capital city. Maxaad iigu diiday marka? :P

Bob, wax akhri ninyaho. I know nobody in Xamar and therefore it can't be a holiday destination for me. I was talking about Hargeisa and the cheapest possible way to get there (Turks and all). Wax fahan. :D