Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Somaliland cabinet approves new national budget 2012

Golaha Wasiirrada Somaliland Oo Ansixiyay Miisaaniyad sanadeedka 2012

February 27th, 2012

Hargeysa (Somaliland.Org)- Fadhigii Golaha Wasiirradda Somaliland, ayaa maanta ansixiyay miisaaniyadda xukuumadda dhexe ee sanadka 2012-ka, taasi oo odoraskeedu dhan yahay 639,369,240,470 taas oo 23.19% ka badan tii sannadkii Hore ee 2011

Sidaasi waxa lagu sheegay war-saxaafadeed maanta ka soo baxay madaxtooyadda Somaliland oo u dhignayd sidan:-

“Fadhigii maanta (27/02/2012) ee Golaha Wasiirada oo Ka Qabsoomay Qasriga Maxadtooyada Jamhuuriyadda Somaliland oo uu Gudoominaayey Madaxweyne ku xigeenka Jamhuuriyadda Somaliland ahna ku simaha Madaxweynaha, Mudane, Cabdiraxmaan Cabdilaahi Ismaaciil (Saylici) Waxa lagu Ansixiyey Miisaaniyad Sannadeedka 2012 oo Dhan 639,369,240,470 taas oo 23.19% ka badan tii sannadkii Hore ee 2011.”

Carafaat   

23procent increase in budget. Not really the promised dubbling of the budget. Even UDUB used to have these kind of growth numbers.

Besides most parts came from other decentralized budgets(mineral, water, airport taxes, etcc) that are now included in Central Finance Budget. Most taxes including import duties and port taxes were increased with min of 20procent. New taxes were introduced.

So one can easily say, that the budget is nominal and bookkpeeing methods are used to let it appear otherwise and because less is spend by officials on expenses. So the question remains where is all that money that used to "disapear" and where is it dissapearing to now?

That is propably why the Guurti asked for several times to have a session with Min of Finance and the Session was closed to hide budget approval from the public eye and forge a deal. What else can the reason be for a closed Parliament session, if its not national security?

The Sage   

i got to hand it to Silanyo's administration, they managed to create an effective government bureaucracy that's all about efficiency and service delivery. Raising the national budget to $107 million USD after only 2 1/2 years in power is quite impressive. Looks like they're well on their way to their $150 million USD by 2016 target as indicated in the national development plan.

Is the main reason for increase due to the government collecting unpaid taxes from big corporations (Dahabshiil, SomTel) or is it from the VAT they're starting to roll out?

faarah22   

it's all great but what are they doing about the khat ?. that is hard exchange currency gone out of the country without any benefit. solve that and maybe lil progress will be made.

faarah22;795850 wrote:
it's all great but what are they doing about the khat ?. that is hard exchange currency gone out of the country without any benefit. solve that and maybe lil progress will be made.

solve that and alot of progress will be made. but from i have been reading the government has recently banned imports of products made in the country and doubled import fees on these goods. Khat issue has to be worked in collaboration with the Ethiopian government but banning it outright doesnt seem to be thee immidiate solution. We need to work on Ethiopia buying or allowing more Somaliland goods into Ethiopia to balance the difference in regards to money leaving the country.

Siciid1986;795762 wrote:
107 million US dollar :cool:

Yes that is ,,, and it is quite good actually. Although they way they have been saying things I expected a lot more.

Carafaat   

There is definetly something fishy going on. Xaaji Xunjuf ignoring this thread and his Minister ignoring Parliament and Guurti for months now. And now a closed session on the budget?

N.O.R.F   

Oodweyne;795809 wrote:
Norf

Do I detect that your are not getting on with program in here, my friend. Perhaps, that VAT imposition without naturally your consent (
:D
) to our teeming collection of
"Eedos"
in
Burco
by this minister of finance may have colored things the worst for you, heh, my friend,..

And, therefore, you think, Somaliland's equivalent of inland revenue could itself do with a bit of price-water-house sort of auditing. Consequently, it goes without saying, that, you think someone is having a laugh all the way to bank at the expense of our citizens in here.

Do I read you right, my friend?

Saxib, if I was to show you how a VAT invoice was put together by the Ministry of Finance you would probably laugh. It was without basis and full of assumptions. Since when did governments assume how much a company produced and sold and issued a VAT invoice? If the $107m amount includes future collections of VAT then I think they will be falling well short as no one is going to pay their ludicrous invoices. The minister knows exactly what I think of his department :D