Sign in to follow this  
samjamaa

Is the race stronger than culture?

samjamaa   

I was having a lively discussion with one of my friends which is If a person was raised and lives under a different culture among people of different ethnicity, no contact with his culture or people, how would he react when he see his people for the first time? Will he feel identified or no?

Before I went to Somaliland last summer, I always defined myself as being “Somali”. Whenever someone asked me where I was from? I always responded with “I’m Somali”. I was very proud to be Somali and that for sure gave me something to hold onto as an identity in the Arab culture. but my major shock was that I didn't understand the people there and there were times I felt I related more to Arabs than the Somalis there

After this experience I’ve come to realize that even though I’m racially Somali, I’m not culturally a real Somali because you can be a certain race, but not identify with it culturally which means in my opinion that culture is stronger than race.

Genes? haha... please!!!

Listen the bottom line is we are all human beings, from a single origin (Africa)

Albeit being disbursed around the world, the labels we ascribe ourselves is a social construct... it is because of statements

like yours that enable divisions based on outer appearance and racist thoughts.

faarah22   

that is granted. but genes have differentiated us that why we have black brown, white, different hair, shapes. likewise culture is same genetically constructed. however much asians reside in other cultures forexample they will have certain culture locked within their makeup. so yes race is dominant over culture.

Somalia   

Somalicentric;791851 wrote:
Genes? haha... please!!!

Listen the bottom line is we are all human beings, from a single origin (Africa)

Albeit being disbursed around the world, the labels we ascribe ourselves is a social construct... it is because of statements

like yours that enable divisions based on outer appearance and racist thoughts.

How do you know if we are from Africa, what if there are bones in Siberia but they haven't been found yet?

Somalicentric;791841 wrote:
I beg to differ, race is a social construct and among many other things we've conditioned ourselves to believe.

before we go black & white,everyone can tell you'r somali even ethiopians.phenotype & DNA could differ even within same race.How many black africans have e1b1b1....only somalis & oromos not counting scattered individuals.

Three reason, take whichever one aligns with your narrowed view lol

Natural Selection (need i say more?)

Genetic Drift

Or gene flow (mating aka bom chicka wah wah)

It all comes down to environment and how we adapt overtime.

"Genes vary, but not in the popular notion of black, white, yellow, red and brown races. Many biologist and anthropologists have concluded that race is a social, cultural and political concept based largely on superficial appearances." -- http://www.eugenics-watch.com/roots/chap14.html

"Genes vary, but not in the popular notion of black, white, yellow, red and brown races. Many biologist and anthropologists have concluded that race is a social, cultural and political concept based largely on superficial appearances." -- http://www.eugenics-watch.com/roots/chap14.html

here is what Wilson said in that article,"The things that matter are the DNA & the race". I agree with that...you could be black & have same DNA with whites like somalis(50% of greeks,some S.Italians,Berbers,some shephardic jews,some egyptians,Albanians etc).

Now,I have anotha question? I have seen somalis r classified as caucasian in real scientic terms...no joke,google the word "caucasian".I also know we are termed black in social life,what is your take on this!

N.O.R.F   

samjamaa;791835 wrote:
I was having a lively discussion with one of my friends which is If a person was raised and lives under a different culture among people of different ethnicity, no contact with his culture or people, how would he react when he see his people for the first time? Will he feel identified or no?

Before I went to Somaliland last summer, I always defined myself as being “Somali”. Whenever someone asked me where I was from? I always responded with “I’m Somali”. I was very proud to be Somali and that for sure gave me something to hold onto as an identity in the Arab culture. but my major shock was that I didn't understand the people there and there were times I felt I related more to Arabs than the Somalis there

After this experience I’ve come to realize that even though I’m racially Somali, I’m not culturally a real Somali because you can be a certain race, but not identify with it culturally which means in my opinion that culture is stronger than race.

What did you not identify with the most?