Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

British Muslim Heritage-London Mosques/Masjids

N.O.R.F   

Gr8 post Francesco.

I visit many a mosque while working in tis huge metropolist, from small to large, there mosques located everywhere, some are obvious and some are not.

i have had the pleasure of praying in the following:

Azizia Mosque, 117-119 Stoke Newington Road, London N16

The Azizia Mosque is one of the oldest Turkish mosques in London, although only dating back to the early 1980s, as former examples have now been closed or have become run-down. It attracts most of the Turkish community from the surrounding areas, old and some young, along with a representative mix of Kurds and some of the Asian communities.

The most interesting architectural aspect of this strange building is that it was originally one of Hackney’s historical cinemas, for which the whole Shoreditch area was once famous. Ironically, this particular cinema was previously called, “The Moorish Alhambraâ€, and the quasi-oriental style of its façade was perhaps an attempt to replicate its Andalusian namesake.

Whether the incoming Turkish community chose the cinema for this reason, or for its very useful space is another matter. Or, as one old-timer puts it, “I think they bought it because it has domesâ€. However, it has good facilities, including those for women, and is renowned across London for its excellent restaurant, to which people have been known to travel far and wide. It remains the cultural centre of the area and a stalwart religious institution. A neighbouring mosque, Shacklewell Lane Mosque, also inhabits a listed building that was a former synagogue, built in a very Andalusian style indicative of the architectural trends of the nineteenth century.

to be continued,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Totti. I like taking pictures of mosques and praying inside them. It's unfortunate that I have to try and work out whether my camera and I are welcome at each new mosque I discover. It's a most horrible feeling. I won't start..

I'll try looking that up for you although i am sure that all the major london mosques do accommodate sisters and have wide ranging facilities

I know East London Mosque in Whitechapel does, i dont know about taking pictures smile.gif but it has facilities for the sisters certainly

main_pic_elm.jpg

Ehem do the wide ranging facilities include dark rooms? :D

I'm not into major anything. I like nosing around character-filled places. The last time I walked into a mosque for the first time, something magical followed.

And the time before that, come to think of it..wow.

Anyway, I have prayed at the East London Mosque, thanks. My first visit there is linked with the death of a family member. I passed through the area for the first time in a long time last week; the mosque came into my head but I was in a bit of a rush and didn't want to get red-eyed and down. A friend's mother was waiting for me; I didn't want to knock on her door with an upside down smile, she's had enough to deal with recently. I prayed at her home. And told her a story or two... smile.gif

lol@dark room

Sorry to here about the deceased sister, death is all our final reality inshallah it was a reminder.

I real like the eastlondon masjid, i used to use it more frequently as it was near my university but i hardly pass by now days.