Sign in to follow this  
Qandalawi

Foreign companies on a race to win contracts in Puntland and throughout Somalia

The point of this thread is to discuss about the Somali preparedness and capability. Should we allow other foreign companies to do, make and run things for us as most of the Arab Gulf states do, or are there any Somalis that are capable, have the expertise and know how to make the most of our resources and turn Somalia into a rich, independent, self-sufficient and self-reliant country.

Is this an opportunity for the well educated Somali diaspora to make a positive contribution - not looking for a political office, but now that money may be available, to create Somali owned companies (or Somali and foreign shared) that builds a modern infrastructure, create industries, manufacturing plants and lead to an economic strength and vibrancy.

i think everything we can do for ourself should be done by us and things that can can't do yet, like building highways and large infrastructures should be outsourced to foreign companies with preconditions; hire locals, use local materials, and train locals to do the job once they are done. What do you think?

^It is easier said than done. That's my whole point. Should we hand this highly rewarding and expensive projects to foreign companies?

If the state invests in getting the required machines and plants and creates companies, what could the role of the diaspora be, do you think a foreign input is must in some cases, the training of work force. I think foreign companies are inevitable.

^ Foreign involvement is not advisable but it's must for we don't have the capacity in terms of people and government institutions. The way we will benefit is to have decent enough leadership that's sincere about people's needs and development and the country overall. My fear is because we are such poor nation, few dollars might be given to officials and the rest stolen by foreign stakeholders.

^Agreed that having foreign hand is inevitable but for how long? I think we should lay down a plan that trains our people and makes them competent in every sector in less than a decade to take matter over from these foreign hands, may be that's too short of a time and I'm being optimistic but it is better try than never. What about the educated diaspora? mase waa good for thing, a bunch of unemployment support benefit collectors. :D

You are right the leadership plays a factor, so are we. The leadership may lack vision and ideas but we can correct them if we think we know better and tell the leadership to avoid making huge mistakes that will incur us catastrophic losses.

^^ not in somalia especially with its clan complexities. i think every community if it feels being left out will resort to using the clan card. so, the question becomes who is crazy enough to engage in such activities. remember the chaos that president Hirsi caused when the people thought he was not doing the job right.

Waar meeshan Qandalaawi walaa dharoori toona wax kama aha nin Faroole layiraa oo Buufisqaba ayaa ka horkaadsha!. and what ever comes out of it will be his and only HIS.

Carafaat   

you need a oil law and and a goverment owned national oil company dealing with the foreign oil companies and at the same time collecting, expanding the local knowledge on the industry.

Chimera   

Somalis are more business-minded than the Angolans, and during their own civil-war there was little to no development, while Somalis have rebuild entire cities and established various successful companies engaging in technology, construction and transport. Therefore Somalis have what it takes to excell and make a historic leap into prosperity, if they give reconciliation and peace a chance.