Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

My petty Somalis - Demography is Destiny - hadaad dalshishaeeye joogtaan, damiir la'aan

you and i know who is responsible for the famine. are you saying it's ethiopia and kenya or the 800000000000000 ships right now in somalia's water. again, i say the fear mongers are at work today.

kingofkings;778189 wrote:
you and i know who is responsible for the famine. are you saying it's ethiopia and kenya or the 800000000000000 ships right now in somalia's water. again, i say the fear mongers are at work today.

Fear wont do you any good. Parhaps a good dose of reality will.

OdaySomali;778188 wrote:
Shouldnt they start kulahaa, ... you are 50 years behind events. As for pirates scaring fishing fleets away, who do you think the fleets of international navy war-ships are there to protect
;)

no my friend, it is you who is behind 50 years. for more than 20 years, all we heard were the ethiopian this and the kenyan that, but all everybody saw were skinny on skinny violence. are you now saying the skinny are in bed with their enemies?

"Every Christian highlander still hears tales of Ahmed Guray in his childhood. I have often had villagers in northern Ethiopia point out sites of towns, forts, churches and monasteries destroyed by Ahmed Guray as if these catastrophes had occurred only yesterday."

Abuse and terror in the Somali region

The war-torn Somali region in Ethiopia is a land scarred by terror.

An ongoing struggle for autonomy is being fought between the outlawed Ogden National Liberation Front (ONLF) and the Ethiopian military but it is not just ONLF members who are being brutalised.

An undercover investigation by the Bureau and the BBC’s Newsnight provides new evidence of ongoing brutal human rights abuses by Ethiopian government forces.

Today the area is a no-go zone for foreigners, the media and aid agencies. Instead, it is kept under strict Ethiopian government control, making it difficult to assess what is going on.

But in Dadaab, the largest refugee camp in the world in northern Kenya, there are thousands, who have fled from the Ogden region, claiming to have been subjected to horrific abuses by Ethiopian government troops.

Torture victims

A grandmother in her 50s, told us that she was one of more than 100 civilians seized from her village in the Ogden by government forces in 2009. Some of the villagers were killed, including her son, and others were taken to jail.

She says ‘I was raped’ by ‘a queue’ of soldiers. ‘They raped me in a room, one of them was standing on my mouth, and one tied my hand, they were taking turns, I fainted during this.’

Another victim described how she was eight months pregnant when government forces arrested her, then raped and beat her until she lost her baby.

Human Rights Watch and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) produced before and after satellite images of villages razed to the ground in the Somali region by Ethiopian forces.

Ethiopian soldiers commit of war crimes in Somalia

Amnesty International on Tuesday accused Ethiopian troops in Somalia of killing civilians and committing atrocities, including slitting people's throats, gouging out eyes and gang-raping women.

In a new report, the human rights group, which is based in London, detailed chilling witness accounts of indiscriminate killings in Somalia and called on the international community to stop the bloodshed.

The rights group said it had scores of reports of killings by Ethiopian troops. In one case,
"a young child's throat was slit by Ethiopian soldiers in front of the child's mother,"
the report says.

"
The people of Somalia are being killed, raped, tortured. Looting is widespread and entire neighborhoods are being destroyed
," Michelle Kagari, the Amnesty deputy director for Africa, said in a statement from Nairobi that accompanied the report.

Haboon, 56, said her neighbor's 17-year-old daughter had been raped by Ethiopian troops. The girl's brothers tried to defend their sister, but the soldiers beat them and gouged their eyes out with a bayonet, Haboon was quoted as telling Amnesty.

Ethiopia: Army Commits Executions, Torture, and Rape in ******

200px-Hrw_logo.svg.png

In its battle against rebels in eastern Ethiopia's Somali Region, Ethiopia's army has subjected civilians to executions, torture, and rape, Human Rights Watch said in a new report released today. The widespread violence, part of a vicious counterinsurgency campaign that amounts to war crimes and crimes against humanity, has contributed to a looming humanitarian crisis, threatening the survival of thousands of ethnic Somali nomads.

The 130-page report "Collective Punishment: War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity in the ****** Area of Ethiopia's Somali Regional State," documents a dramatic rise in unchecked violence against civilians since June 2007, when the Ethiopian army launched a counterinsurgency campaign against rebels who attacked a Chinese-run oil installation. The Human Rights Watch report provides the first in-depth look at the patterns of abuse in a conflict that remains virtually unknown because of severe restrictions imposed by the Ethiopian government.

"The Ethiopian army's answer to the rebels has been to viciously attack civilians in the ******," said Georgette Gagnon, Africa director at Human Rights Watch.
"These widespread and systematic atrocities amount to crimes against humanity
. Yet Ethiopia’s major donors, Washington, London and Brussels, seem to be maintaining a conspiracy of silence around the crimes."

The Wagalla massacre was a massacre of ethnic Somalis by Kenyan security forces in Wajir District, North Eastern Province, Kenya.

Somali men were then taken to an airstrip and prevented from accessing water and food for five days before being executed by Kenyan soldiers.

The purpetrators are still walking around freely in Kenya today, in 2012. They are not prosecuted or held accountable. The Kenyan government has never admitted responsibility.

The Garissa Massacre was a of ethnic Somali
residents by the Kenyan government in the Garissa District of the North Eastern Province, Kenya.

The incident occurred when government forces, set fire to a residential estate called Bulla Kartasi, killing people and raping women.

They then forcefully interned the populace in a primary school for three days without food or water, resulting in over 3000 deaths.

Hakuna Matata.

Kenyans for years put you in Concentration camps

Somali leaders were routinely placed in preventive detention, where they remained well into the late 1970s.

The North Eastern Province was closed to general access (along with other parts of Kenya) as a "scheduled" area (ostensibly closed to all outsiders, including members of parliament), and news from it was very difficult to obtain.

A number of reports, accused the Kenyans of mass slaughters of entire villages of Somali citizens and of setting up large "protected villages" -- in effect concentration camps.

The government also adopted a policy of compulsory villagization in the war-affected area. In 1967, the populace was moved into 14 Manyattas,
villages that were guarded by troops (no-one could leave or enter)
often referred to as concentration camps.

East Africa scholar Alex de Waal described the result as "a military assault upon the entire pastoral way of life," as enormous numbers of livestock were confiscated or killed, to force the populace to abandon their flocks and move to a Manyatta.