Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed Interview on 1977 and more

Somalia   

I'm reading the book which has more details about him and Siad Barre during the Italian Trusteeship where he worked under him. I've been told one event in 1956 sheds some light onto Siad Barre's mindset about the political discourse at the time but I'll see how the book turns out.

Here he talks about his relationship with Aideed and Siad Barre, 1977 War and how he led his unit to its intended target which was 70 km from Addis Ababa.

Dr_Osman   

Abdullahi Yusuf is the father of puntland. Nice work Somalia this one has slipped under my radar, I'll be watching intentively!!!

Maaddeey   

Dr. Osman, sorry I mean Somalia!, how did he describe his relationship with Aideed?. I remember him saying regarding Aideed's Sal-Ballaar: 'Ninkaan oggoleyn Badda ha ka cabo' :D

Somalia   

I think that's our future.

As for this video, if you look at 29:00, he mentions the consequences of the war in Hargeisa where 6 officials were gunned down and other retributions towards military officials.

He was told to give up his best lieutenants and was part of the reason for the coup attempt of 1978.

Also this is the place he is talking about 70 km from Addis Ababa, Mojo.

addisababamojo1977.jpg

Somalia   

Maaddeey;776425 wrote:
Dr. Osman, sorry I mean Somalia!, how did he describe his relationship with Aideed?. I remember him saying regarding Aideed's Sal-Ballaar: 'Ninkaan oggoleyn Badda ha ka cabo'
:D

If you read the book he tells you of how him and Aideed grew up together and how he knew his father.

He also mentions their struggle when in prison and how they used to look out for each other. He talks of him as if they were brothers.

There are several pictures not seen before of them in the military and their time as military attaches in Moscow.

I'll review the book and post what I can of it without giving away too much.

Somalia   

From 56:00 He very interestingly mentions what I've previously said on this forum that the secessionist ideology started back when what's now known as Somaliland didn't get what it perceived to be its fair share of government posts, especially cabinet posts and government directors.

It also points to the same situation that they have now. Some want to further the ideology of Cigaal by going the same route as the 1960s and having a great presence in Mogadishu. Abdullahi Yusuf talks about extensively about Cigaal in the book. It also shows that some habro have a much more narrow view at the moment.

gooni   

Somaalida dhaqankeedu waa cajiib ninka ugu taariikhda fiican waa ninka dilaagga ah tusaale waxaa kuugu filan taariikhdii cadde muuse meelna lagumasoo qaado xataa wiilashii qurbaha waa saameeyay dhaqankaasu.

Reer mudugu wuxuu yiraahdaa waa ninka kaliya oo wax naga dilla

Chimera   

Somalia;776428 wrote:
Also this is the place he is talking about
70 km from Addis Ababa, Mojo.

addisababamojo1977.jpg

Siad Barre made several blunders:

- After securing the Ethiopia-Djibouti rail-line the airport of Dire Dawa was ignored.

- Not allowing independent communication lines to be set up, instead generals and commanders had to wait for orders from all the way in Mogadishu.

- Not sending a sizable force all the way into Addis Ababa and dislodging Derg from power.

- Keeping the Soviet-Somali friendship agreement intact.

Had he done these four things the correct way, East Africa would look very different today.

Somalia   

Chimera;776527 wrote:
Siad Barre made several blunders:

- After securing the Ethiopia-Djibouti rail-line the airport of Dire Dawa was ignored.

- Not allowing independent communication lines to be set up, instead generals and commanders had to wait for orders from all the way in Mogadishu.

- Not sending a sizable force all the way into Addis Ababa and dislodging Derg from power.

- Keeping the Soviet-Somali friendship agreement intact.

Had he done these four things the correct way, East Africa would look very different today.

I think the way the communication lines were set up were to deter anyone from going against Siad Barre if Addis Ababa was captured, a centralized system. He cut off Dire Dawa and was told to stop, region could today have been part of Somalia but he went further than he should have.

Also read this bit where Fidel Castro is disillusioned with Siad Barre because he wants a once race state while communism has no colour thus he chose the side of Ethiopia.

Exchange between Erich Honeker, leader of East Berlin and Fidel Castro.

http://legacy.wilsoncenter.org/va2/index.cfm?topic_id=1409&fuseaction=HOME.document&identifier=5034E378-96B6-175C-9764DE8C40E463DD&sort=Sub

Watch Maxamed Warsame Cali backing up Abdullahi Yusuf's claim

The Russians threatened to level Mogadishu.

LANDER   

Somalia;776428 wrote:
I think that's our future.

As for this video, if you look at 29:00, he mentions the consequences of the war in Hargeisa where 6 officials were gunned down and other retributions towards military officials.

He was told to give up his best lieutenants and was part of the reason for the coup attempt of 1978.

Also this is the place he is talking about
70 km from Addis Ababa, Mojo.

addisababamojo1977.jpg

Are you proud of this weasel? so what if he was 70 km from Addis, he was responsible for having Ethiopians

invade Somalia's capital (Mogadishu) for the first time in their history. There were reports he was high on power

and was getting slapped around by some general Gebre in his own capital too! Do you not feel any shame or

do you have no pride?

Somalia   

LANDER;776549 wrote:
Are you proud of this weasel? so what if he was 70 km from Addis, he was responsible for having Ethiopians

invade Somalia's capital (Mogadishu) for the first time in their history. There were reports he was high on power

and was getting slapped around by some general Gebre in his own capital too! Do you not feel any shame or

do you have no pride?

I am proud of him, I am proud that he installed fear in the likes of you. I dream of what Somalia would have been like today if he had total power.

A typical intellectual midget as yourself who indulge in rumours such as a General slapping Abdullahi Yusuf is no surprise to me given your ancestry.

Che Guevara president Siilaanyo said SNM ambitions were never to declare independence Siilaanyo was a unionist all the way up 2 18 may he even wrote a power sharing formula between the SNM and USC in march 1991.

Listen to Siilaanyo here reaction to Yey's Claim

Listen from 4:16

Dr_Osman   

Abdullahi Yusuf Made total sense. Why did the SNM fight in the first place fight for, there was no hargeisa bombardment in 1982 from what I can re-call. There was other objectives at play and going by their history they declared secession in the 1960s because they were upset at how power was being shared in the government and it makes only sense their best bargaining chip would be to declare secession hoping that somalia will share power according to their policy,which to be quite honest won't be happening due to the huge population difference between the two areas.

You have to remember they declared seccession when Somalia was Africa's first democracy which followed a multi-party majority rules democracy that is accepted by the world today as the best system of governance. As Puntland we are striving for Somalia to go back to those days however there is even arguments to suggest the SNM are anti democratic given that history of trying to declare secession for the northern ends of Somalia when Somalia was a pure democracy!!! So in reality they don't even respect the majority rules formula of democracy in Somalia, their only after clan interests and affirmative action to set uo quota based powersharing!!!

I think The SNM After seeing a Mahdi presidency and Pro-Union northern P.M, knew their was no chance to negiotate somaliland indepedence(which they are already planned in the 80s) and they declared secession from Somalia and forever have been where their at. They can't say it was a power-sharing issue because they were the P.M!!! There was other factors at play and Abdullahi Yusuf is spot on

Lets not forget somaliland out of Somalia politics is some-what of a good thing as Somalia doesnt need anymore further stakeholders shifting policies towards their favor and causing problems. The huge issue with them is they have no internal allies at all.

Even if they did get involved in Somalia politics today and said I will hold a conference for somalia in hargeisa and try to bring a solution before anyone even showed up the conference would entail "somalia's unity is non-negioable" or noone would show up as that breaches the constitution of the nation.

They have no internal allies accept within the northern regions and lets be real those guys are not real mountain-movers in Somalia. The best bet they have is to follow the shabab path where democracy is rejected and people are elected to power through individual merit and clan-based power-sharing and then can they only hope they will ever rule anything in Somalia but as far as a democracy one man one vote we been there before guys and you guys hated it for a reason because your not a majority in Somalia and it doesnt work out in your clan favors!!!