Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

The Grand History of Berbera

Malika   

Jac, I enjoyed this clip - nicely done. The old houses need renovating, the town reminds me of other coastal towns on the Indian ocean.

Jacpher   

That voice sounded familiar. You listen to these wariyaal on the radio for awhile. Good to see Cabdisalaan Hareri.

Good presentation. Will watch the rest later.

STOIC   

Best Somali visually rich and information overloaded documentary i have ever seen...thanks to the Presenters...The ottoman empire left their seeds behind eh?

Chimera   

This video really disgusted me! The history and ruins of Berbera has been humiliated with the most hilarious tag; 'Turkiga dhisay!' Epic face-palm. A thousand year old city that traded through the ages with the Tang Dynasty of China, and the Abbassid & Ummayad Caliphates of the Near East has seen its proud history twisted by a temporary occupation that lasted less than 10 years. 1000 years vs 10 years, unbelievable!

I have seen similar cultural misappropriation with old towns like Saylac, its disgusting.

RaMpAgE   

Chimera;778527 wrote:
This video really disgusted me! The history and ruins of Berbera has been humiliated with the most hilarious tag; 'Turkiga dhisay!' Epic face-palm. A thousand year old city that traded through the ages with the Tang Dynasty of China, and the Abbassid & Ummayad Caliphates of the Near East has seen its proud history twisted by a temporary occupation that lasted less than 10 years. 1000 years vs 10 years, unbelievable!

I have seen similar cultural misappropriation with old towns like Saylac, its disgusting.

Ditto! Well said.

How is that when talking about Berbera with a history well over a 1000 years, they bring an old 'illiterate' man too talk about something which he has no knowledge and make up some fantasy fair tails.

It also shows that the documentary makers haven't even done their own research on the history of the city.

We have documents, namely Periplus of the Erythraean Sea from 1 century AD which talk about Berbera.

Somalida need to own their own history and stop giving credit to ajnabis for everything.

RaMpAgE   

Chimera;778527 wrote:

Ditto! Well said.

How is that when talking about Berbera with a history well over a 1000 years, they bring an old 'illiterate' man too talk about something which he has no knowledge and make up some fantasy fair tails.

It also shows that the documentary makers haven't even done their own research on the history of the city.

We have documents, namely Periplus of the Erythraean Sea from 1 century AD which talk about Berbera.

Somalida need to own their own history and stop giving credit to ajnabis for everything.