Sign in to follow this  
Guulo

Would you read a book about sexuality, same sex love, and of moral conflict?

Nina Fox   

As far as my stance goes, I find it irksome if I were to stumble upon a Middle Eastern or Somali novel that dwells on the subject (dunno why). Maybe its the diin and subconsciously I know whatever is marked between those pages is wrong camal.

Then again a fictitious book is meant to be read as it is as purely time-pass entertainment. Good luck finding a Somali audience for this spicy book thou :)

Chimera   

If it were a comedy like Will & Grace maybe, but if its a graphic gay love-story, no thanks! Why would you choose this concept in the first place? There are so many genres you could explore with Somali characters and in the process attract a Somali audience. Unless this is directed towards a non-Somali audience, specifically Western, then I would say continue writing since they always love a good gay story set in a traditionalist community.

However if you make their sexuality a secondary feature of the story(basically we know their gay but they aren't doing gay stuff) and instead focus on the trials and tribulations they have to endure, and also don't rip into Somali culture & Islam, you might still have an audience. I'm editing my own 105k manuscript at the moment, but its an Epic fantasy tale set in Medieval Somalia, so its very much smooth sailing for me, while you will have to contend with the perilous and merciless waves of controversy.

I hope you're a great sailor, the Somali Ocean has some nasty sharks and krakens hidden within lol.

Abtigiis;768179 wrote:

Nin-Yaaban, Mr. Somalia ka hadh. He is right. I am also a bit tolerant about women-to-women thing than male-to-male. I don't have the same revulsion when I hear about the two.

Hahaha. OK.