Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

Court: Dahabshiil v. Dahir Alasow

Somalia   

So I am checking out some things regarding intellectual property and I stumble upon this on the World Intellectual Property Organization website, one of 17 specialized UN organizations, this one deals with trademark infringement.

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=D2011-1356

ADMINISTRATIVE PANEL DECISION

Dahabshiil Transfer Services Limited v. Dahir Alasow, Waagacusub Media/ Domains by Proxy, Inc., Protected Domain Services

Case No. D2011-1356

1. The Parties

The Complainant is Dahabshiil Transfer Services Limited of London, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, represented by Bird & Bird, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The Respondent is Dahir Alasow, Waagacusub Media of Brabant, Netherlands; Domains by Proxy, Inc. of Scottsdale, United States of America; Protected Domain Services of Denver, United States of America. The Respondent is appearing pro se.

2. The Domain Names and Registrars

The disputed domain name is registered with GoDaddy.com, Inc.

The disputed domain name is registered with Name.com LLC.

A. Complainant

The Complainant is a company incorporated in the United Kingdom and the owner of several registrations for the trade mark DAHABSHIIL (the “Trade Mark”), including a registration in the United Kingdom registered on August 19, 2005, and an international registration registered on January 8, 2009.

B. Respondent

The Respondent Dahir Alasow appears to be an individual apparently with an address in the Netherlands.

The Respondent Waagacusub Media appears to be an entity apparently with an address in the Netherlands.

The disputed domain names were both registered on January 6, 2011.

7. Decision

For all the foregoing reasons, in accordance with paragraphs 4(i) of the Policy and 15 of the Rules, the Panel orders that the disputed domain names and be transferred to the Complainant.

Sebastian M.W. Hughes

Sole Panelist

Dated: September 28, 2011

:D:D:D Was this big news, I find it funny :D

Somalia   

Yep.

He registered

The disputed domain name is registered with GoDaddy.com, Inc.

The disputed domain name is registered with Name.com LLC.

I just read the full article lol

.He tweaked it by adding times.and world

i.e Dahabshiiltimes.com and Dahbshiilworld.com

Both of the disputed domain names contain the Trade Mark in its entirety. The Panel finds that the addition of the non-distinctive words “times” and “world” does not serve to distinguish the disputed domain names from the Trade Mark.

This is from Wikipedia

Accusations that Dahabshiil tried to suppress unwanted press coverage

An collective of Somalis who describe themselves as independent journalists has asserted that Dahabshiil had (temporarily) succeeded in convincing their web-host to shut down their site because they published stories critical of Dahabshiil.[43] The published a copy of a letter faxed to their webhosting service, demanding the removal of over a dozen of their articles about Dahabshiil.[44] In addition to claiming the site's coverage was defamatory the letter claimed the site had used their trademark without permission, modifying it by adding a rifle, suggesting a tie to violence.

Somalia   

Galmudugnews.com- Maamulaha Shirkadda Dahabshiil Abdirashiid Dhiigshiil iyo Maamulaha Waagacusub Dahir Alasow ayaa Maxkamad ku taal Magaaladda Breda ee Dalka Holland isku hor fariistay maanta oo taariikhdu ahayd 19 November 2012 ,Saacadu markey ahayd 1:30 Pm.

http://www.galmudugnews.com/2012/11/19/maamulayaasha-dahabshiil-iyo-waagacusub-oo-mar-labaad-dacwadooda-ka-furantay-maxkamad-holland/