Sign in to follow this  
Shinbir Majabe

Somalia PM Abdiweli Mohamed Ali Interview - Al Jazeera

Interesting how the AJE journalist was focused and articulate, pointing out the central fact that the government originates from foreign interventions but also the issues of frontier states troops, the newcomers in Somali affairs, credibility and corruption.

The PM could have pointed out too that the Djibouti agreement was much more positive than the initial agreement between warlords on foreign payroll in Kenya, compensating some of its flaws (half of the new MPs were pro-Sharif, coming from the civil society).

Still, ruthless crooks and criminals amidst the TFG and its foreign flavor means that negociations with the likes of Al Shabab are a must as the PM recognised.

Although a good hearted man and a capable technocrat, the PM comes accross as a bit out of phase with the tragic struggles and routines of the locals; he takes economic theories rehearsed in US faculties a bit too seriously too (eg, talks of "public choice").

A real leader would have emphasised a bold vision and shown independence of thought, talking about small scale farming and youth employment schemes, equality and internal autonomy (much more crucial for local well-being than any partner or donor).

Economic theories are nothing but ideologies masquerading as science; what really matters is a focus on true equality and its necessary pre-requisites such as internal-market orientated farming or labor intensive industries and, crucially, state institutions free of foreign interferences and corruption.

It may well be argued that nationalisation and even rationing are crucial to common well-being in many cases, while protecting the environment and enforcing frugality (merely promoting it has a rather limited impact);

all that contradict directly liberal economic prescriptions and narratives that would view the monopoly on land tenure by a single company or multinational as "progress" with, of course, the former farmers and rurals considered as "inefficient", mere pool of labor reserve exposed to and adding to the vices and exploitations of urban life...

Somalia   

Xaaji Xunjuf;763306 wrote:
This guy is justifying the Military invasion because the Failed TFG can't secure its borders and he is avoiding the main questions.

List, WHICH main questions he avoided.

List them for me. Like this.

I seem to be the only one calling you out on your B.S :)

Who is supporting alshabaab?

I cannot answer that question he replies

Are there Ethiopian troops inside Somalia

Defence Minister says there are Ethiopian troops in Somalia

He is not aware of that statement you may ask that clarification of that statement to him

Are you in negotiations with alshabaab right now

we are trying to deal with this issue in a peaceful way

Than the reporter says that's not a yes or a no and says you won't give me an answer.

Somalia   

Omg @Xaaji Xunjuf, for the first time, made me shut up the hell up. I am proud, like a father is of his son's first steps.

tumblr_ln1p2wFCd61qgdsdb.gif

Som@li   

The Prime Minister has spoken well, and Masha Allah, I am proud of him, Congrats Mr Gaas, keep up the good work.

Yunis   

^^ not sure about that - The PM simply showed up unprepared and Al-jazeera laid one on him.

As much as PM Gaas is to be admired for his personal achievements and the daunting task he is facing. he kept saying 'somali became danger to itself and its neighbor" to justify all the foreign invaders.....that might have satisfied shock-jock distortion tactics of western journalists, but Somalia is Al-jazeera's bread and butter. Sami Zeidan & other Al-jazeera reporters know the dynamics of Somali conflict.

As for reconciliation, the PM said, he went to Puntland...lol...comm'on that was inside joke..right?

the PM had few good exchanges - but he had plenty of opportunity to lay out a vision for the future, a grand strategy out of these endless conflicts that plagued this nation.

That is what I expected from this technocrat, a learned man with no blood in his hands yet when asked

at the end of his mandate of 08/12 he said "you'll see somali at peace with itself and with its neighbors, somali electing its own leaders freely, with constitution and Somalia with good governance...". and not a word on how to get there...

I do wish you success Mr PM..but those are official media talking points meant for western donors.

we all know your options are limited, but before its too late layout a vision and workable strategy

Sensei   

In fairness, I think he has done okay for himself. Plans are laid out in speeches; not in interviews. If any learnt, it is obvious the man is not your regular dodgy politician. There were so many opportunities for him to BS his way out, but chose not to comment.

He did at times looked spaced out- do not know if he was tired or looked forward to the nose-greeting with the king, or is that in SA- or maybe little irritated with some questions. Would have been advisable to get some sleep and sona room treatment, to sweat out the Mogadishu jitters.