Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Privacy Alertt: Smart Phone Users Beware

Imagine that every key stroke you make, be it typing phone numbers, text messages and URL of websites you visit on your smart phone are recorded, logged and transmitted. Even sites with security encryption that requires a certificate handshake and established trust to transmit data are not exempt. This is crazy! Dangerous security and privacy bridge in US (I don't know about Europe, other continents)

Read Trevor Eckhart analysis here.

http://androidsecuritytest.com/features/logs-and-services/loggers/carrieriq/

If you are not a tech savvy, watch his Youtube, illustrating the stealth nature of Carrier IQ app, which constantly runs under the radar to collect data from you.

I was going to post it today. It's very disturbing to say the least. Who collects it and with whom do they share it with are the questions to ask. It's troubling to see that it can actually read an https data that was supposed to be encrypted. How insane can this get?

Those who uses Microsoft phones are spared or so they say. Hope the company that developed this software will shine some light on all hows and whys!

Jacayl

Well I am sure your text messages and browser history are private matters. So is your daily conversations.

This is picking up steam in the States. Some members of the Congress are beginning to look into this. The big mobile carriers are scrambling for answers. The vendor, Carrier IQ is feeling the heat. Similar expereince happened to a company that was used to call DoubleClick (it is part of Google now) few years back.

EDIT:

Gheelle, disturbing indeed. DoubleClick used to do the same in the realm of browser history. Without consumers knowledge it used to 'deposit' cookie on the users pc, and assign a unique identifier that would subsequently track browsing histories of that particular 'IP' address. In that way they built huge database, which served as a valuable tool in the area of online advertisement/marketing. That was before the privacy watch dogs detected and researched. All that was reversed and privacy laws were passed to prevent such privacy data collection without consumers consent. The still do it, but the default is 'Opt Out', and not 'In' as was before.

Lets hope this thing gets reversed and stopped as well.

Jacpher   

So they track the user's private data by default and sell it to the highest bidder unless the user opts out? In other words, it is the user's fault for not opting out though they were never made aware. Time for congress to enact a Do-Not-Track National Registry law. Kind like the do not call registry for the telemarketers. I am glad Al Franken is making the right calls and demanding answers.

Xiinow i hope this lame congress will address the issue and reverse it. God knows how many other things consumers don't know that are hidden in their everyday life devices.

Jacaylbaro;762780 wrote:
What is so private about our daily conversations and dealing with da day-to-day normal life ?? ,,,,, Iyaguun baa daali dee
:D

Heedhe, horumarkaba sow tani ma ahan!