Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

World Music Thread

Carafaat   

This thread is dedicated to world music. World Music is traditional music or folk music of a culture that is created and played by indigenous musicians and is closely related to the music of the regions of their origin.

So post your non-western and non-Somali, World Music video's from around the globe.

Carafaat   

This song is originally from Christy Azuma(Ghana), song has been recorded in 60's(the video is from a Malinese movie).

quite a ridiculous term. as though everything is directly contradistinct to English or Western Music, music from 'traditional' sources is 'othered'. surely world music is place-specific?

world Music is, I think an attempt to encapsulate music from various places around the world. its somehow suppose to represent 'smaller' and seldom heard voices which isn't in the mainstream, at least according to western audiences.

world musicians have been commodified to cater to the 'cultured' western audiences.

Carafaat   

Alpha Blondy;751620 wrote:
quite a ridiculous term. as though everything is directly contradistinct to English or Western Music, music from 'traditional' sources is 'othered'. surely world world is place-specific?

world Music is, I think an attempt to encapsulate music from various places around the world. its somehow suppose to represent 'smaller' and seldom heard voices which isn't in the mainstream, at least according to western audiences.

world musicians have been commodified to cater to the 'cultured' western audiences.

I agree about ridiculousness of the term. How else should we call the non-Western music?

ailamos   

Carafaat;751625 wrote:
I agree about ridiculousness of the term. How else should we call the non-Western music?

you just did ;) by the way, when you say "western" music do you specifically mean Anglo music? or are you including Spanish, Italian, Romanian, Portuguese, etc.?

Carafaat;751625 wrote:

i suppose the superior western promotion, marketing and distribution system will always overshadow world music. western cultural imperialism is dangerous and seeks to subsume other cultures under this 'globalisation façade'. it appears the farther a countries is from western centre of gravity, the more its been ethnicised. music must always be considered in terms of place of origin and no matter how 'cultured' one might be, one must understand that'll always be barriers of entry into other cultures. listening to malian music, doesn't make you more familiar with malian culture, it just means you like listening to malian music and nothing else. westerners seek to have insights into other cultures through the arts.

music of non-western countries shouldn't called 'traditional', 'ethnic' or any other words which might seem derogatory.