Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

English-Somali medical translations

Che -Guevara;744850 wrote:
This edition of English-Somali and Somali-English medical dictionary is an excellent medical reference you will turn to time and time again. It provides the most up-to-date English and Somali medical terms in a format that is useful to the general reader as well as to medical interpreters and translators whose heritage language is Somali.

Compiled by a long time medical laboratory technologist who is also a distinguished scholar of Somali language, literature and culture, this medical dictionary spans the entire domain of the medical branches, defining more than 8100 medical terms and concepts in all the major medical specialties. It is clear and concise, with definitions that any Somali medical interpreter or translator can easily understand. It also covers both classic and contemporary Somali and English medical terms.

Book Details

Publisher: Gobaad Press, Minneapolis

Published Date: September 10, 2011

Language: English-Somali VS Somali-English

Cover: Paperback

Dimensions: 6 x .425 x 9

Number of Pages: 284

ISBN: ISBN 978-1-4507-8117-6

Library of Congress CN: 2011931787

PRAISE FOR THIS MEDICAL DICTIONARY

This edition of the English-Somali and Somali-English medical dictionary, by Anwar Maxamed Diiriye, is an invaluable reference book. Given that it is the first of its kind, it expands the available repertoire of English-Somali and Somali-English reference literature while at the same time providing a much needed utility to Somali-speaking general readers, medical students, educators, medical service providers, and medical science linguists. Written in user-friendly, appropriately-accessible language, this reference book captures the comprehensive definitions of more than 8100 medical terms from the broad spectra of the medical science sub disciplines.

As someone who completed his primary education in Somali and the remainder of the higher education in English, this medical dictionary offers a valuable resource that bridges English-to-Somali terminology gaps. Had it been available some fifteen years ago, it would have tremendously aided my educational transition period. It is a “must have” reference book to all those their heritage language is Somali and their medical care providers alike.

Abdiwahab A. Musse, PhD -

Senior Fellow of Canadian Institute of Health Research,

David Geffen School of Medicine,

Department of Biological Chemistry,

University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)

This edition of the English-Somali and Somali-English medical dictionary represents a major milestone in the history of translating the Somali language. To my knowledge, there has not been an English-Somali and Somali-English medical dictionary such as this one to date, even though the Somali language has been written since the early 1970s. In many English-speaking countries such as the United States with sizeable Somali population, it has become important to utilize Somali interpreters, who have command of the English language but lack knowledge of medical terminology to assist with the delivery of health care to Somali patients. Somali care providers and interpreters are often expected to navigate vast Somali and English medical terms without reliable resources.

This one-of-a-kind dictionary contains over 8100 Somali and English medical words covering words and phrases that form the central core of frequently used medical terms in day-to-day life. The author, whom I know both personally and professionally, is a prolific writer who has an excellent command of the English and Somali languages. Many in the Somali community abroad and at home have read and enjoyed his highly successful and important book about Somali onomastiology. Additionally, he is a medical laboratory professional who is well-versed in medical terminology. He has done an excellent job in explaining both English and Somali terms in a thoughtful, systematic, and easy-to-comprehend way for everyone.

As a Somali physician, I see the impact of low health literacy among my Somali patients daily. Although this is a dictionary and not a medical text book, I believe it will assist Somali patients to better understand their medical conditions by explaining it in their native language. Hopefully, this book will improve the health outcomes of Somali patients by improving their health literacy.

This dictionary will undoubtedly be an indispensible asset for physicians, nurses, allied health staff, and all health providers who care for Somalis. I also have no doubt many Somalis will welcome this important dictionary and will find a place for it in their book shelves.

Abdi A. Jama, MD -

Cardiology Fellow,

Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN

Errors made in Somali medical interpretation have potential serious clinical consequences, and this dictionary will reduce such errors This English-Somali and Somali-English Medical dictionary, which covers most Somali dialects, is one of the best translations we have to date. This dictionary which is clear, easy to use, and accurate will bridge the gap in Somali medical interpretation. Medical providers and their Somali patients will benefit greatly from this dictionary.

Fozia Abrar, MD, MPH -

Department chair

for Health Partners occupational

and Environmental medicine (Minneapolis, MN)

Unfortunately, Somalia’s civil war in the early 1990s led to the exodus of hundreds of thousands of Somali people to the different corners of the globe. Many ended up in English and non-English speaking countries and faced many challenges including language barriers. Nothing is more important than overcoming such language challenges--particularly with regard to medical terms--for one’s well-being and health. Some knowledge and understanding of proper medical terms in the field of medicine is extremely helpful for patients so that they can engage in meaningful health discussions with the medical team. This knowledge of medical terms is also essential for interpreters and translators in facilitating the delivery of proper health care for patients. Therefore, since there is a large Somali Diaspora in many places in the world, this medical dictionary by a renowned medical professional and author Mr. Anwar Diiriye is timely and extremely beneficial for patients and care facilitators alike. I am confident that this two-way (English-Somali and Somali-English) medical dictionary will play a pivotal role in the delivery of health care towards the Somali Diaspora.

Abdirashid M. Shire, PhD -

Assistant Professor of Medicine

(Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota)

I am so glad to witness the completion of this long-awaited Somali Medical Dictionary. I am fully aware that Mr. Diiriye is equal to the task. This work is needed because there is a big gap between the medical profession and the field of interpreting and translating. Unfortunately, the Somali community lacks qualified and knowledgeable interpreters in the medical field. Many of the interpreters, while they will find this dictionary resourceful, will still require medical-interpretation training. Many of the interpreters may speak good English, as expected, but they suffer from poverty of medical vocabulary and concepts. As we are aware, many interpreters are in their field just because they have good command of English. I am sure the ones who interpret in courts are expected to have mastery of legal terminology. The difference in the medical field is acute: any misinterpretation may have serious life and death consequences.

I am hoping that this dictionary will be helpful to medical interpreters, medical professionals, and all of those who are interested in understanding medical terminology. As we know, medical terms are evolving and there will be a need for updating and revising. But overall, I welcome this resourceful reference book and will look forward utilizing it.

Berlin Farah – Registered Pharmacist

(CVS Pharmacies, Minneapolis, Minnesota)

For more information Contact:

Anwar M. Diiriye

E-Mail:

Thanks for the useful tip I have been looking a long time for such book.