Sign in to follow this  
StarGazer

A Discussion with Sheikh Hamza Yusuf

A Discussion with Sheikh Hamza Yusuf

The June 29, 2002, Masjid Al-Islam/Deen Inc ., fundraiser in New Haven, Connecticut, appears to have been a success all the way around. After the day long event ended, a large group of us (speakers, along with a number of other invited guests) reconvened at a Muslim owned restaurant in the city to enjoy a meal and stimulating conversation into the wee hours of the night. The next morning some of us met again for breakfast, and picked up from where we left off the previous night.

I was informed that Sheikh Hamza would give a special lecture (which would include Q&A) at Masjid AT-Taqwa in New York City later that afternoon. Unfortunately, I had to take a flight back to Washington, from Hartford; and so, consequently, I decided to put some questions to our brother over breakfast. Alhamdullilah, the brother was more than accommodating; and in his response to the questions, are important lessons for us all.

In addition to Hamza and I, the following brothers were at our table for the stimulating discussion, Imam Zaid Shakir, Imam Talib Abdur Rashid, Amir Al-Islam, and a couple of other brothers whose names I am unable to recall at present.

I questioned Sheikh Hamza about the published newspaper reports that flooded the scene, in the immediate aftermath of his appearance at the White House for President Bush's State of the Union address . While the brother opines that there was nothing un-Islamic about his appearance as a guest at the State of the Union (and he is correct), he revealed that immediately prior to the event, he had no idea that this was the special affair that he had been invited to attend. He also admits that he was a bit naïve about this politicized photo-op, as well as a number of other things that would soon transpire.

Regarding the "60 Minutes" interview, he echoed Imam Siraj Wahhaj's complaint, regarding how the editors/producers distilled a roughly three hour interview into the approximate 12 to 13 minute slanted segment that the nation saw, and he too commented on how it had been edited in such a manipulative way. He expressed his regrets at having done the interview, and emphasized the need for Muslim leaders and organization representatives to be properly schooled in how to deal with the media in order to avoid these types of traps in the future.

Sheikh Hamza also provided examples of how he had been quoted out of context, or had his words deliberately distorted after giving interviews on numerous occasions; and as he was sharing this information, I couldn't help but think about the reactionary tendencies of today's Muslims, the effective machinations of COINTELPRO (the FBI's counterintelligence program under the late J. Edgar Hoover), past and present, and the media's role in such intrigues.

A Page from COINTELPRO

(From the August 25, 1967, classified FBI Memo)

"The purpose of this new counterintelligence endeavor is to expose, disrupt, misdirect, or otherwise neutralize the activities of [targeted groups]; their leadership, spokesmen, membership and supporters…" Another passage reads:

"No opportunity should be missed to exploit through counterintelligence techniques the organizational and personal conflicts of the leaderships of the [targeted] groups, and where possible an effort should be made to capitalize upon existing conflicts between competing [targeted] organizations."

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the techniques of COINTELPRO are being employed against the Muslim community in America at present. No doubt! And the sad reality is that it's working, despite the fact that this Ummah possesses the most effective tools with which to combat it. If only we had the proper faith.

In the wake of the storm of controversy which has swirled around him over the past few months, Hamza has not only received some of the most extreme and vile criticism that one Muslim is capable of hurling at another, but he has also received actual death threats (and I feel certain that some, if not most, of these threats emanate from government agents or paid agent-provocateurs). Who really benefits from all of this madness? Do Muslims benefit? Or does this benefit the common enemy of us all? We (Muslims) really need to stop and THINK!

At a time of dangerous political intrigue that confronted Muslims centuries ago, the imminent Sheikh Ibn Taymeeyah (rahim-ul-Allah) provided some valuable nasiha (sincere counsel) that is well worth revisiting. He began, in one of his many memorable letters from prison:

The Messenger of Allah (saw) is reported to have said: "May Allah brighten the face of a man who hears me and then relays to another who has not. It is possible that a carrier of knowledge is himself not knowledgeable, or that the carrier of knowledge will deliver it to someone more knowledgeable. Three things purify the heart of a Muslim: the sincerity in working for the sake of Allah, taking up the task of advising the rulers, and not departing [separating oneself] from the body of Muslims."

Sheikh Ibn Taymeeyah wrote, concerning the aforementioned hadith: "In order to implement this principle on a personal note, I say that it is not my wish for any Muslim to be harmed because of me overtly or covertly. This applies to all Muslims, but more specifically to our companions and acquaintances. Neither do I want any of them to be blamed or condemned, as they are still worthy of honor and respect. Indeed, man does not escape being classified into one of three categories: a correct mutjtahid, a wrong one, and a sinner. The first is rewarded and praised, the second is rewarded yet for given for his blunder. Regarding the third, I ask Allah to forgive him, us, and the rest of the Muslims.

"Therefore, we shall turn a new leaf on those who had erred and not fulfilled this aforementioned principle. Yet I know of some who say "this man erred" and "this man did not do what he should have," or "the Shaykh was harmed because of this man." Those words that have harmed some brothers I do not condone, nor do I pardon those who utter them." The Sheikh continues:

"You should all know that we are joining to assist one another. It is obligatory upon us to aid each other, more so now than before. So whosoever thinks that harming some brothers as a result of the hardship experienced in Damascus and Egypt [is warranted], then he is wrong. It is true that a believer to a believer is like the two hands, one cleans the other. And it is also true that some kind of dirt can only be washed by hard scrubbing, yet this treatment will be justified when the outcome appears to be the restoration of that lost brotherly love.

"Let no one think that the believers can be economical with helping their brothers, and in aiding them. If some of our companions had neglected us before, then came to us, their status will rise higher than before. You might also know - may Allah be pleased with you - that issues like this one often occur due to a difference of opinion and variations that might even befall the people of iman, due to the whispers of shaytan."

In the course of our conversation, I'm sure that it was clear to Sheikh Hamza (and others who were at the table) that I disagreed with a couple of positions he had taken in the wake of 911 (media misrepresentations not withstanding). However, I want to make it absolutely clear that I dearly love this brother, and I have the highest respect for his learning, his commitment, and for what he brings to the table on behalf of this Ummah! We all make mistakes (Allah knows I have made my share, and I will, no doubt, continue to do so for as long as I live.) We must be forgiving and merciful with each other; particularly, if this is what we hope for on the Day of Reckoning.

Muslims are today (IN ALL PARTS OF THE WORLD) at war! In some areas Muslims are engaged in actual physical warfare (qital) for their very survival; while in America, and other parts of the West, our battles (for the most part) are on the intellectual and spiritual plane in the court of public opinion. In no corner of the world can Muslims afford to create enemies where there are none! As Ibn Taymeeyah said, "It is obligatory upon us to aid each other, more so now than before."

If our iman (faith) is as it should be, we will be able to "Tie our camel and have trust in Allah!" Our faith in Allah (swt), and confidence in what Allah Ta'ala has given us, will disallow envy, jealousy, or SUSPICION from coming into our ranks and sowing destructive seeds of dissension (knowing that Allah Ta'ala sees all, hears all, and will hold all accountable). This is a time of testing…May Allah (swt) strengthen and preserve us on His Path. Ameen.

El-Hajj Mauri Saalakhan

The Peace And Justice Foundation

A closing Thought:

Speaking of COINTELPRO, it has recently come to my attention that I have become one of the targets of agent-provocatuers planted in our community. I will provide more details later, insha'Allah.

Visit our website: www.nima-ny.org

Salaamu Alaikum Tamina,

Very enlightening article. I agree with it all we do not need to fight amongst ourselves but rather correct each other. Nevertheless, the allegation of did Hamza Yusuf says those 911 fire fighters were shaheed (matryrs) is it true or false?? If it is true may Allah forgive him and he should be corrected and not attacked. If the allegations are nothing but gossip then it is the shaytan who is trying to create conflict between the believers.

W/Salaam,

Mujahid over and out !

--------------

"Love for one another what you love for yourself."