Sign in to follow this  
Somalina

Mohamed Sofa

Somalina   

When Mohamed Sofa came to Ottawa as a Somali refugee 15 years ago, it's unlikely the teen imagined receiving a standing ovation at city hall.

But that's exactly what happened, as Sofa, now 29 years old, received not only applause in the council chambers, but also the Mayor's City Builder Award from Mayor Jim Watson and Beacon Hill-Cyrville Coun. Tim Tierney during the June 22 city council meeting.

Though he now lives in the east end with his wife and daughter, Sofa's roots and work are focused in the west and was nominated for the award by Bay Coun. Mark Taylor and his colleagues at the Pinecrest-Queensway Community Health Centre where he works as a community health worker.

"I'm very grateful and will work hard to live up to (the award's) promise," Sofa said, as he accepted the award.

The Mayor's City Builder Award is a civic honour created by Watson to recognize an individual, group or organization that has, through outstanding volunteerism or exemplary action, demonstrated an extraordinary commitment to making the city a better place.

The award-winner spent his first few months in the nation's capital living in a shelter with his sister and her family before moving to the Britannia Woods Community House.

At the shelter, surrounded by others who looked and spoke like him, Sofa picked up basketball, which became the catalyst for years of community involvement.

"What else does a black, inner-city kid do except play ball? It was the only thing around me," Sofa told the EMC, and called the sport a "natural spin off" for him.

That interest spun off into the Somali Youth Basketball League, founded in 2003 to help young people develop leadership, social and basketball skills. No longer just for Somali youth the league, chaired by Sofa, boasts more than 200 participants across Ottawa.

Community involvement first clicked with Sofa after his first job working with children, he said. As a camp leader at the YMCA, Sofa said he learned how to organize, plan and match needs with available resources.

Those skills translated to successful community projects such as homework clubs, soccer teams, sports nights and other celebrations. Sofa is also a founder of Young Somali Professionals of North America-Ottawa Branch, which provides networking opportunities and creates social and business community enhancement projects.

When Sofa found out about the award two days prior to receiving it, he said the first thing that went through his mind was "Oh my God, I'm busy as it is," and he worried about making sure other people would be accommodated for the occasion.

"Everyone else came to mind," he said, a recurring sentiment for the community leader, who is also on the board of directors for the Britannia Community House and Catholic Immigration Centre.

"I'm only able to do what I do because of all the other people - those who enable me and those who I try to support with their needs," Sofa explained.

His recognition by the city reinforces the path he is currently on, added Sofa. "It's about staying committed for as long as possible and being present for as long as possible."