Sign in to follow this  
Boom Boom

A Community That Loves Scandal and Media Attention

Every country that you go to, we're the most hated and we're always on tv or in newspapers for all sorts of trouble. We're socially unfit and prone to deviancy. I am so sick and tired of belonging to the most uncivilized, negative attention loving people in the world.

I don't understand why people who come from the worst country would have no shame. We should be humble and grateful for the opportunities presented to us living in Western countries. Honestly, I am just so sick of it all.

Every time some sort of trouble or scandal is occuring in any country, a pirate is behind it some how. :(

BOB   

Boom Boom Room...Ask yourself this...If we're the poorest people on the planet how the heck can we afford to be in war for 20 years? Who pays for all the guns and the bullets? I don't...do you? Western countries aren't as innocent as you're portraying them to be and the best advice I'm going to offer to you is...be the best Somali that you can be and try to play your role to perfection and the rest will follow suit...remember a journey of a thousand miles begiswith one step..be that pioneering FIRST step.

PS. Be Proud of who you are...If a jew can afford to be proud of being jewish...surely a Muslim should be proud of being Muslim.:)

Peace, Love & Unity.

Ismahaan   

*Blessed;714047 wrote:
Oh, dear! Diving into the nearest river on a very cold day will resolve this dilema for you. Toodles.....

Great suggestion !!!!!!!:)

I love how nobody is discussing the issue. It is a fact that people in our community love media attention. Newspaper articles would not have a story if someone didn't have something to say. Let's be honest if we came from a culture where people who were quiet and humble recieved the most respect, we wouldn't be the most hated. We invite the media into our lives. We want to be on the front page.

we wouldn't be the most hated

why do you generalise like that. What makes you so sure we're the most hated. whatever that means. why not share some of your experiences with us to help us better understand where you are coming from brother. Have you experienced terrible racism. have you been singled out because your somali. set the context for us...

Archdemos;714093 wrote:
why do you generalise like that. What makes you so sure we're the most hated. whatever that means. why not share some of your experiences with us to help us better understand where you are coming from brother. Have you experienced terrible racism. have you been singled out because your somali. set the context for us...

First of all, I am a sister. Second of all, have I experienced blatent racism? No. Have I had people shun me, avoid me and generally distant themselves from me when they find out what country I'm from? YES!

How can you respect a community that causes so much crime and trouble? People before had pity on us because we came from a war-torn/faminine country. Now, we're viewed as thugs and also people who are a drain on society and don't want to work. That is a our stereotype.

You guys can say , who cares be your own person. But people will judge your character based on your background. I am immediately overlooked because I belong to the community with the highest unemployment rate and who majority live in government housing. Our people don't want to change and improve their lives. They're behaviour is making it difficult for people like me who appreciate the opportunities in the West. I am not a person who draws attention to herself and I just want to blend in and be accepted. But how can I when almost every day, there is an article about someone causing trouble somewhere in the world.

Have you not seen the hundreds of blogs dedicated to problems our communitiy has caused? Seriously, archedmos, get away from our little bubble and open your eyes.

Sorry sis I just assumed you were a dude.

Wow I’m so sorry for your experience. I think you’re better off without those people anyway considering their ill-mannered behaviour. However there is critical flaw in your argument/outlook.

Are there no other Somalis like you out there who are trying to make an honest living? If so why generalise.

Where exactly are you from, I ask because here in the UK it’s definitely not as bad as you paint it.

My solution is be the best person you can, better yourself and be proud of who you are. I know it’s difficult in current circumstances but Somali history is not defined by the last two decades of civil strife. You have to understand bettering the image of Somalis starts off with you.

Read a bit into the history and culture and I assure you there is plenty to be proud of, there are backward traits like all communities but with time inshallah we will eradicate these.

I was born outside Somalia and i visited the homeland in 2009. I’m glad I did because it opened my eyes to how unique and beautiful our land and more importantly our culture can be. Somalia sadly is a country with unique set of problems, but I fear you have lost or are in the process of losing all hope.

When peace is achieved you will be surprised at what Somalis are capable of, largely without the help of others.

BOB   

I AM SORRY WALALO I thought you were a guy too just like *Blessed and Ismahaan did.

Like Archie said you should be glad that those so-called friends are out of your life for good because what they did not know is that everybody is his/her own man/woman regardless their colour or creed and they should judge you for who you are rather than what you are which I'm sure is a smashing human being with that unique and golden Somali heart.

Welcome To SOL

Peace, Love & Unity.

Malika   

^oh my, whats up with the handling this with cotton gloves - is she that fragile? :D

Poster be the change you want to see in your community - be loud, be visible, be daring in challenging the community you feel is letting you down. There are many positive people in the Somali community. I will add, be critical of the media - every thing you read/hear in the media must be taken with a doze of cynicism - its never to be taken literally.

Demonising a whole people is a tactic used over and over in the media, marka Boom Boom - take it easy on yourself and make yourself the example of what is good of Somalis. :)

BOB   

Wewe mbongo...wacha kumchokoza....:P

otherwise habari ya siku nyingi?:)

Peace, Love & Unity.

PS. Be Proud of who you are...If a jew can afford to be proud of being jewish...surely a Muslim should be proud of being Muslim.

I don't know what you read but the poster mentioned country 4x, and the amount of times she mentioned muslims=you guessed it, cero, as in 0000000000000 times.

Why you will inject faith and the believers to this discussion is beyond me, but waxa aad qorayso marka hore ka fiirso eedo. To have a country is to have wadan, to call a land yours and to call its people to rise up and lead by example, were wise words on your part but here goes the but, you failed to connect the posters rants to the real issues facing SOMALIS and SOMALIA, not Islam, not Muslims but SOMALIA AND SOMALIS....

This is about a country and the people that hail from such place.....(I dont know how you identify yourself and maybe thats part of the problem but as you can tell by now, the name of the forum is SomaliaOnline, a space for Somalis by Somalis, that should be your first hint at addressing the issues facing the SOMALI PEOPLE)

yours truly, and forever,

LayZie G.

Blessed   

Eh, Bob? It doesn't make difference to me. I'm true geeljirad, miyic, cabasho iyo calaacalka waan ka jidhidhicoodaa. I don't see a difference between people like the poster who repeat hateful mantra and the racists who make them. I also don't feel accountable or representative of the 11 Million Somaalis on this earth. We have the good, the bad and ugly but as it happens where I live in the ME heer sare ayaanu nahay, so the poster needs to stop generalising. :)