Sign in to follow this  
Siciid1986

Somaliland: Approximately 1500 teachers receive 2 months’ back pay

wasiirka-taclinta.jpg

HARGEISA — It was a good news for 1,500 of Somaliland’s teachers thanks to the effort of Mrs. Samsam Abdi Adan, Minister of Education, they received two months worth of wages this week.

During an interview with Hadhwanaagnews reporter Mustafe Abdi Mohamed on Wednesday, she said the issue was resolved after months of investigation and the teachers were pleased with the result.

During her appointment, Samsam Adan promised to reform the education system and said the welfare of the teachers and their rights were her top priorities.

Samsam noted that the payment was for the months of January and February of this year. She went on to say “for the last few nights I have not slept due to this issue and now that the teachers are paid I feel that I can sleep better”.

It was two months ago when the government announced a salary increase for all civil services personal in the country, a promise that the new government made during the presidential election. They also introduced free education for all primary school students.

Somalilandpress | 24 March 2011