Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Gryende håp i Somaliland

- Kontrasten mellom Somaliland og mye av det øvrige Somalia er slående. I Somaliland har man lykkes i å etablere et fungerende demokratisk system, der presidenter ikke bare blir valgt, men også forlater posten når de ikke blir gjenvalgt, hvilket ikke er noen selvfølge i Afrika. De har en liten, men relativt effektiv offentlig administrasjon som praktiserer godt styresett, sier statssekretær Eide.

Under besøket møtte han Somalilands president Ahmed Mahamoud ”Silanyo”, visepresidenten og en rekke statsråder, og parlamentets president Abdirahman M. Abdillahi og hans to visepresidenter. Videre besøkte han Civil Service Institute, et spesialisert treningssenter for offentlige tjenestemenn og –kvinner, og som Norge har vært med å finansiere gjennom FN.

Sammen med undervisningsminister Samsam Abdi Adan deltok han på en seremoni der et norsk-finansiert skolebygg ble overlevert til lokale styresmakter. Han besøkte også et helt nytt sentralfengsel for langtidsdømte fanger, denne gangen sammen med innenriksministeren, også dette delvis finansiert fra norsk side. I dette fengselet soner allerede over 70 somaliske pirater, som er arrestert i Adenbukta og Det indiske hav. Fengselet fremsto som effektivt og moderne, både med hensyn til soningsforhold og rømningssikkerhet.

Støtten til justissektoren, herunder politi, domstoler og fengselsvesen, samt til utvikling av en moderne lovgivning, er en av de viktigste måtene Norge kan bidra til å redusere den trusselen piratvirksomheten i dette området representerer.

- Når vi vet at ni av ti pågrepne pirater slippes løs igjen, blir det åpenbart at det å sende flere marinestyrker ikke er hele svaret. Vi må også ta tak i de underliggende utfordringene på land i Somalia, sier Eide.

Dette er for tiden svært krevende i det sørlige og sentrale Somalia, men i Somaliland og Puntland er mulighetene betydelig større, og Norge ønsker å være en tydelig samarbeidspartner for myndighetene her også på dette feltet.

Norges økte økonomiske og politiske samarbeid med Somaliland skal ikke forstås som at Norge ønsker å bidra til de krefter som ønsker å løsrive Somaliland fra det øvrige Somalia.

- I stedet ønsker vi å bidra til at den positive utviklingen i Somaliland kan fremstå som et eksempel for det øvrige Somalia, sier Eide, som understreker at Norge viderefører samarbeidet med den føderale overgangsregjeringen i Mogadishu.

Xaaji wuxuu leeyahay, nimankaa reer Somaliland waa gob, markaa waxay u qoondeeyeen, inay siiyaan 25 hablood, oo Norwegian ah, sanadkan gudihiisa.

Ka danbena way kordhiyaan, ama way laba jibaarayaan.

Waanu fahanay xujadan aad noo dhigtay thanks MR Big G

Dawning hope in Somaliland

State Secretary Espen Barth Eide visited Thursday 17 February Somaliland's capital Hargeisa. This was the first political visit ever from Norway to Somaliland, and a sign that the Norwegian side want to increase the direct cooperation with the most efficient parts of Somalia.

- The contrast between Somaliland and much of the rest of Somalia is striking. In Somaliland have succeeded in establishing a functioning democratic system, wherePresidents not only chosen, but also leave the mail when they are not re-elected, which is not always the case in Africa. They have a small but relatively efficient public administration that practice good governance, "said State Secretary Eide.

During the visit he met with Somali's President Ahmed Mahamoud "Silanyo", the vice president and several cabinet ministers and parliament President Abdirahman M. Abdillahi and his two vice presidents. Furthermore, he visited the Civil Service Institute, a specialized training center for civil servants and women, and that Norway has been funding through the UN.

Together with the Minister of Education Samsam Abdi Adan, he attended a ceremony where a Norwegian-funded school buildings were handed over to local authorities. He also visited a brand new central prison for long-term sentenced prisoners, this time with the Home Secretary, also partly financed from the Norwegian side. In this prison are already serving more than 70 Somali pirates, who are arrested in the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean. The prison appeared to be efficient and modern, with respect to prison conditions and evacuation safety.

Support for the justice sector, including police, courts and prisons, as well as the development of a modern law, is one of the most important ways Norway can contribute to reducing the threat of piracy in this area represents.

- When we know that nine out of ten arrested pirates let loose again, it becomes clear that sending more naval forces is not the whole answer. We must also address the underlying challenges on land in Somalia, "said Eide.

This is currently very challenging in the southern and central Somalia, but in Somaliland and Puntland, the possibilities are considerably larger, and Norway wants to be an obvious partner for the authorities here in this field.

Norway's increased economic and political cooperation with the Somaliland should not be construed as that Norway wants to contribute to the forces that want independence Somaliland from the rest of Somalia.

- Instead, we want to contribute to the positive developments in Somaliland can stand as an example for the rest of Somalia, says Khan, who points out that Norway is continuing its collaboration with the Transitional Federal Government in Mogadishu.