Sign in to follow this  
oba hiloowlow

Amin Amir pic, so true

Chimera   

One should not underestimate the power an older generation has on the new one, be they parents, older siblings or relatives. From analysing myself I resemble my mother more in terms of discipline and organisational skills, while in terms of culture and social skills i'm more like my father and eldest brother. The latter has always been the coolest dude on the planet in me and my younger brother's eyes, from our clothing style, to our taste in music & film, to our sense of humour and mannerism, we're just bootlegged versions of him. The fact that he didn't smoke, hung around in clubs, or involved himself in criminal activities, made all of these things lame in my eyes, while they could be considered cool by my generation.

I can see the same influence being projected by me onto my younger relatives, the most prominent case being my five year old nephew who is a spitting image of me, and the both of us are spitting images of our paternal grandfather(great-grandfather in his case). As a young uncle, i'm more like a big brother to him, and though he has a great caring father, I think the more male-rocks he has in his life the better his development will be. Things like I want the same shoes and jacket as Uncle [..my name..] is him choosing a sub-culture that is not destructive to him as a person the way Hip-hop culture is, the fact that he doesn't adopt this style and the whole sick way of life that comes with it, is because none of his male relatives do so.

Our parents' generation that came to the diaspora had many households with dead male relatives or ones stuck in the old country, ok fair enough, their absence is understandable , but with our new generation, there are no excuses! We must preserve or restore the Somali family Unit at all cost if we want to succeed as a community. While Amin's picture is spot-on in revealing the double standards of parents, I do think some sort of project needs to be created to teach mothers and fathers new skills that could return them to the workforce. You will have alot of parents, specifically fathers who used to lead successful and prestigious jobs in Somalia only to have their hard-earned qualifications rejected by their new host countries, which pushed alot into a state of disillusionment and some found solace in the Maqayaads.

Chimera;694615 wrote:
As a young uncle, i'm more like a big brother to him, and though he has a great caring father, I think the more male-rocks he has in his life the better his development will be. Things like I want the same shoes and jacket as Uncle [..my name..] is him choosing a sub-culture that is not destructive to him as a person the way Hip-hop culture is, the fact that he doesn't adopt this style and the whole sick way of life that comes with it, is because none of his male relatives do so.

hang on there mr utopia. let the kid listen to some solider boy. people are born with their own destinies. let and let live dee.

Chimera   

Sure, sure and my advice to you is; cover yourself in goat blood and then jump in the nearest Somali sea, there is a good chance you will be devoured by 60 thousand sharks, but hey, you might be born with a different destiny, so why not try it?