Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

Puntland’s Dual Track Greed Policy

Taleexi   

By Jawaahir Jalxad

Jan. 26, 2011

Recently, Somalia’s political scene has been dominated by the statement emanating from the Puntland Administration regarding its withdrawal from the TFG. We watched and listened as words were exchanged between the TFG and Puntland. What were the exact reasons behind the breakdown of the relations between Garowe and Mogadishu? Did the public outburst and media war that ensued achieve the political objectives of Farole and his Administration?

Read in full here

bilan   

Is she, or is she suffering from GalGala syndrome, where are the pictures of the farms that were burned, in every article she talks about entire village that was burned to the ground,, with no evidence, when we all know there was no widespread casualty in that war, let’s separate facts from the fiction and I don’t take serious anyone who sympathizes with AS. PL government does not build roads, hospitals or schools in any town in PL . it is the people from these towns who returned from the west who are leading these projects, so if she wants to do something she needs to pack her bags and go to these towns and or raise funds. Also let’s be honest the only place in PL where there are any sort of progress is Bosaaso because that is where the money is.

While I do not agree with Faroole’s decision to cut ties with the TFG or understand Shariif’s point of saying it is either me or PL, Jawaahir sheekadeedu waa oohinta orgiga ka weyn.

Taleexi   

Somewhat she might be suffering about the said syndrome nonetheless, Bilan, where you said "PL government does not build roads, hospitals or schools in any town in PL . it is the people from these towns who returned from the west who are leading these projects, so if she wants to do something she needs to pack her bags and go to these towns and or raise funds." I hear your sentiments but sorry to say that they are sound bites and an empty rhetoric intended for public consumption; traditionally, the main projects that have been undertaken in the said cities since PL was conceived were for the most part PL government funded projects; that is not to say locals' contributions were excluded but there are gathering evidence that points PL elite have awarded projects in both regional terms and selectively. And it is also too simplistic view to take if one operates under the assumption that SSC and Maakhir regions are lagging behind compared to the rest of PL regions because their locals are not up to the challenge. I believe they are not without blame but what is equally as bad is that when we ignore the absence of clan ownership and favoritism as far as PL entity is concerned. Or, if you will, my dear inaadeer, call me I'm as well suffering SSC syndrome even though I consider myself an independent mise sheekadayduna waa tii orgigu baroorta ka weyn oo kale?

ElPunto   

^I think Bilan is mostly right - there is a poor record of the admin actually funding development as opposed to local NGOs working with their international counterparts. There needs to be evidence to establish where in fact the money is spent before you can conclusively say clan ownership. Otherwise everyone can make the same claim. The average Farax in Caluula and Qandala might have a few quibbles about the clan ownersip and favouritism argument. Ultimately the solution is to demand transparency about budgets, spending and aid and to lobby the public to demand accountability from public officials. The solution isn't writing articles in the vein of this author.

bilan   

First of all UN gives funds for Sool and Sanaag to Hargaisa not to Garoowe, while PL was established in 1998 Hargaisa had 7 years to convince the donors that these regions belong to them, I do not know why PL administrations did not fight harder on this issue, secondly there are equal numbers of representatives from all the PL regions, where are Sool and Sanaag represantatives, why we do not hear likes of Jawaahir blaming them, are they less competent than the ones from Mudug, Nugaal and Bari, if there is unfair distribution of the funds the blames lies with all the leaders of PL not specific leaders from certain region. VP is from Taleex, what is holding him back from going to Taleex and building school. What is holding Ilka jiir from going to Badhan and Dhahar.,. where is Axmed Karaash and countless others who are from Sool and Sanaag??? I do not get it why did not she mention them. are they not PL leaders……

Sometimes people need to use their brain rather than emotions. What I do not like is writing tol’layeey articles like hers, PL is far from perfect but people need to come up with solutions on how to fix them, but if you write an article every time you feel like your sub-sub-sub clan is wronged and say I will not be part of PL like naag masayrsan no one will take your grievances serious. ( I do not mean you Taleexi). People from Sool and Sanaag were the founders of PL, in my opinion it is about the time they stop acting like guests. Faroole kama xigo PL. . in fact it was Sool who voted for him while Mudug did not, so I do not know why people act like as if these three regions are one..

Yes, I will say you’re suffering from SSC syndrome the day you start writing articles on how certain regions were responsible on what happened 4 years ago in LA.

You said she is concerned citizen, did she offer any solutions? Also the only project that PL administration ever did are the airports.

Thankful   

I can remember going to Galdogob, Mudug back in 06 and I couldn't believe how developed the town was. The diaspora had put so much effort into building schools and hospitals in the town that I was speechless. For starters, it took us a long time to get there since there are no paved roads that lead into the city and the ride can but quite rough at times. When I did get there I didn't expect to see such development.

Bilan is correct the Puntland government with their limited resources cannot take credit for the vast majority of development that many most cities have experienced; it is the poeple living there and the diaspora that can.

The aftermath of the most recent military campaign has been the killings by Puntland forces of innocent civilians, the abuse and torture of the inhabitants of the region, the murder of prisoners of war, government sponsored terrorism that targets innocent young Maakhiri men in Puntland cities just simply because of their clan affiliation leading to their arbitrary arrest.

The Puntland Army has also burned and destroyed century old farms in the hills of Galgala. It has also caused the displacement of over 800 families from Galgala and surrounding areas to major Maakhir cities such as Badhan and Dhahar.

This is why I call them radical diaspora! This misinformation has the sole purpose of causing conflict! The claims defy logic, would the people of these communities actually sit back and allow this to occur?

I think the writer of this article should be criticizing and investigating those responsible for collecting funds from around the world that have gone missing for the Laasqoray port project, instead of making up stories about villages being burned down.

Taleexi   

Bilan: Horta inaad iga reebto kuwa sida naag masayrsan oo kale u dhaqmaya waad ku mahadsan tahay! balse I’ve developed lately a thick and very resilient skin that can withstand name-calling and outbursts. By the way, there are points I agree with you and some that I don’t. Being a member of a club comes with having rights and responsibilities. I’ve a hard time convincing some of Maakhir and SSC constituents that they are Somali PLers and co-founders thus; they should be acting as such. However, I’m neither here to force them to stay with the rest of PL populace in perpetuity or create their mini fiefdoms but rest assured, it is all up to them. So, if they decide to leave then they’ve the option of arranging the divorce, I mean in a systematic manner not announcements made by few self appointed individuals and/or an emotionally driven conferences in the Diaspora.

With that; you said UN gives Sool’s and Sanaag’s aid to SL that is a great failure on the part of PL I say; not being able convincing that these regions are part of her dominion for almost 13 years is indeed a disaster. In addition, whoever was behind the fall of LA is less significant now but what matters most is that a large territory of PL is being occupied for far too long and PL leadership has to yet do anything about it. PL leadership should also see trees from the forest and when they say xidhiidhkaan u jaraynayaa TFG-da not under our name; we are part of Somalia period. In terms of development, we are all aware of that 90% of the aid PL receives is invested areas outside of Maakhir and SSC. Genuine explanation should've been in order instead of defending blindly the indefensible or I forgot to mention that the folks from those areas are well off and don’t need aid.

Jawaahir like any of us is entitled to her opinion and she raised some good/bad points that need to be developed and tweaked a bit further, don’t you agree?

bilan   

Horta naag masyarsan was not intended as insult, laakiin mushkiladu waxay ka imaatay sheekada ah, Sool and Sanaag have an option to be part of PL. as long as people feel that they have an option to walk out any minute then they will not feel ownership or loyalty. The other 3 regions do not feel that they have that option to walk out…… and if they can walk out of PL which they built yesterday what will stop from Buuhoodle and Boocame inay kala tagaan oo Dhahar and Badhan ilayn iyaguba hal habeen uun bay isxigaane…

To be honest I did not find anything interesting in Jawaahir’s article, in my opinion she came across as someone who is angry because she feels in la xumeeyey lafteeda nothing more, and she did not offer any solutions, so in my opinion PL does not need people like her, tani xal ma wado ee dadkii uun bay sii kala qaybinaysaa.

about the aid do we have numbers, we need to see how they are allocated before we jump into conclusion. Did the people from these regions went to the adm and they were told sorry we do not owe you anything??? To get something you need to ask for it and fight for it if necessary. Marka do you know a case where aid loo diiday degaanadaas.

Markaan iri qof walba isagaa deegaankiisa dhista not PL adm. Honestly how many people from Sool and Sanaag are going back to their towns and building them. I know someone who works for local NGO in PL, and he said that every year he saw the donors reducing funds for PL for simple reason that people who were qualified to get the funds are not in the country and not willing to go back and it pained him to send funds back to Nairobi. While I am not saying people from these regions have no right to complain but they need take some of the blame. Dadkoodii waxa bartay Europe iyo America bay joogaan marka yaa u dhisaya degaanadooda, ma jinni :)

Taleexiyow tuuladii awoowgay ku dhashay some time in 1910 wali waa sideedii actually waa ka sii hoosaysaa say ahayd 50 years ago, should I blame PL adm as well, no I cannot . since I am not willing to go there.

I am not defending anything and I’ll be the last one to defend PL adm, but you can say I do not agree with the their decision about TFG(BTW Somalia kama aysan bixin just TFG) without aan olyada iyo saliida la isku qasin like she did.

Marka Somalia alaha dejiyo ee yaan intaan is haysata la sii kala furfurin.

NASSIR   

Bilan, deegaankayaga hormarkiisa waa socdaa umana baahna Puntland. Muhiimada Ayaa ah hadeydan dagaalka iyo barakacinta iyo beenta ah argagixisaa dhulka joogta si shirkado ajanabi ah Loo keeno , sheegashada qaawan waa in la joojiyo.

Dhowrka calooshood u shaqeytaha ah ma matalaan gobolada Maakhir.

Tan kale, goboladan waxey hoostagayaan dowlada federaalka. Inshallah, dowlad rasmi ah baa dhalan.

bilan   

and you can speak on the behalf of the entire community?? i did not know they elected you as their speaker, sorry i did not get the memo. what do you mean hadaydaan oo yaan anigu ka mid ahay!!!!! people like you are not what Somalia or PL or even Sanaag needs, try to be rational oo biyo qaboow cab.

AYOUB   

bilan;691224 wrote:

To be honest I did not find anything interesting in Jawaahir’s article, in my opinion she came across as someone who is angry because she feels in la xumeeyey lafteeda nothing more, and she did not offer any solutions, so in my opinion PL does not need people like her, tani xal ma wado ee dadkii uun bay sii kala qaybinaysaa.

about the aid do we have numbers, we need to see how they are allocated before we jump into conclusion. Did the people from these regions went to the adm and they were told sorry we do not owe you anything??? To get something you need to ask for it and fight for it if necessary. Marka do you know a case where aid loo diiday degaanadaas.

I think you're being unfair. What JJ (if I may call her that) is saying is PL has been greedy in the past and she's worried about what PL is going to do if the "dual track" track is implemented in Somalia. She's even given examples from the past which no one in here has bothered respond to;

The first multi-national conference Farole attended was held in Istanbul by the International Contact Group last May where his Minister of Health secured the visit of Turkish doctors and surgeons to Puntland. At least eighteen (18) doctors from the Association of Doctors Hope, an organization based in Turkey, visited Puntland in October and performed surgeries and medical visits in the cities of
Galkacyo, Garoowe, Qardho and Burtinle
. These towns are inhabited by one clan only. Needless to say, the Maakhir regions were not included in this project even though they have sick people like all regions of Puntland.

Another example is the UN Joint Programme for Local Governance and Decentralised Service Delivery whose mandate is to implement “policy and legal frameworks for decentralization and local government” as well as “good governance principles of transparency, accountability and participation”. Even though the funding Puntland received for the year 2010 was to implement this program in ten (10) cities, only four (4) actually received the funding:
Garoowe, Boosaaso, Qardho and Gaalkacyo

Thankful   

The towns in which the doctors visited are all on the one paved road. There are numerous towns towards the Indian Ocean in Nugaal, Mudug and Bari like Hafun or other places away from the road in Qandala that never received the medical team. The areas on the road are easily accessible for medical team then the rest of the state. Even more important is that during the time that the medical team went through Puntland, area's in the so-called Maakhir regions were conducting military operations to kick out terrorist leader Sheik Atam. Operations may I add that were being led by former presidential candidate and heavyweight politician from Maakhir Abdullahi Ahmed Jama (Ilkajiir).

Jawaahir Jalxad makes arguments and provides evidence that includes only half the facts. I have been to all the towns that the doctors visited and because they are all located on the main road, there are people from every region of Somalia living in them (they also are the most populated towns on the road and at the time safest). Each one of those towns has camps for internally displaced people who have fled conflict areas.