Sign in to follow this  
Kulmiye

Embracing old traditions-

Kulmiye   

- should scholars, leaders, and SUUGANTA SOOMALIYEED emphasize & encourage Somalis to revive more traditional customs? and more so shouldnt we at least build one historical museum? being in America I have been to Native American festivals and seen other ethnic groups display their customs with great pride - i have even seen African American Historic plantation sites (google DraytonHall) for example which preserves the history of being an slave in this country- and yet when i compare that to Somali traditions i feel like much goes unappreciated and under value. Anyways please share your input

and also check out (HIDDO IYO DHAQAN >---------> THE ROOTS) on facebook.com

Polanyi   

It's funny how SOmalis boast about their "tradional dress". It's actually no different to what afar, oromo, masia and many other people wear in Asian and Africa. Wa Mara un. Someone figured they should cover their awra.hehe. The same goes for Nomadic culture; it's actually very primitive and not worth boasting about. I read this book by this author who said that Somalis promoted nomadism in favour other systems of life in SOmalia like fishing and agriculture. A population that looks down on blacksmiths, farmers and fishermen will always bee stagnant and primitive. Dowlad Bladland( the internet department)>

Malika   

I for one is so disappointed in how weddings are organised now days - I miss the old wedding ceremonies back home[in East Africa] where by the night was spent dancing to traditional dances, the xer fur was an entertainment night, the gelbiis was the walk of pride and honour..naga daa waxaan hadhaa socooneysoo is just sad..absolutely sad.

So yeah, am for maintaining tradition - even though we understand that culture changes with time, can we hold on to some of our Nomadic traditions?

I think in general we need to preserve our culture for the sake of preservation, for posterity's need but we do need to practice only that of it which is helpful for our future and definately we must discard the useless aspects which are a hindrance to our progress.

I dont see how a piece of traditional cloth can make us have pride.

Blessed   

^I think it's more to do with the element of belonging to a group or a culture than the cloth it's self. The Arabs are very big on their cultural dress and preserving their identity by dressing in traditional cloths.

Apart from the geel, horses, the pure Somali and poetry, the nomadic / baadiye life holds no appeals for me. I don't think our people should live like that in this century, I feel so sorry for masakiinta.

Malika..

Weddings were so much fun and relaxed back in the day, even in the UK (90s) and I just loved how the faaraxs were abused on xeedho night and not traditional but everyone dancing to

was just pure joy.. :D :D

Kulmiye   

*Blessed;687374 wrote:
Apart from the geel, horses, the pure Somali and poetry, the nomadic / baadiye life holds no appeals for me. I don't think our people should live like that in this century, I feel so sorry for masakiinta..
:D

Walal, i am not suggesting that somalis should erase cultural modernization or any progress thats been made through our time. but you have to understand that there are people out there that enjoy the simplicity of nomadic life just as much as there are people who appreciate modern lifestyle. regardless of your view; i want to say that we need to teach our children the language and able to show them that their customs are unique and should be proud to showcase in school or community events. And speaking of somali weddings, why do they play arabic music, american, or even ethiopian music? its non-existent to see Ethiopian or Eritreans playing music outside of their culture in weddings. and while we are at the subject of Ethiopians and Eritreans; is it me or do they have lots of cultural songs- I mean just check Youtube - most of it waa heeso dhaqan ah.

Blessed   

Jacaylbaro;687876 wrote:
Are u suggesting we bring camels to the cities and milk them there ??? ,,, or dig wells in the middle of the downtown ?? ,,,

Are you suggesting that we don't already do that? Hargaysa markaan imi waxaa isoo dhawaysay saca buniga ah, you know taan ka hadlayo. Maalin walba waan is bariidin jirnay. I've photographic proof. :D

Kulmiye,

I think the baadiye lifestyle is far from being simple, way rafaad iyo dhib miidhantahay, those who romanticise it don't really think of the daily struggles of our geeljires who as I type this are dealing with yet another abaar and loss of livelihood. I agree with you on the rest and I would also add that the home plays the most important role in fostering pride, awareness, etc.

I don't watch Ertrian / Ethio. vids so can't compare with Somalis.

Being a traditionally oral society, I think we have already lost a great deal of our history and culture with the passing of our elders. We need to use those still alive to document and archive as much as we can.

Malika, the traditional wedding activities still happen in Somalia, so that's something at least.