Sign in to follow this  
Salafi_Online

Ahlul Kalaam( Philosophy: its People) By the 4 Imams

O you wh o believe! Say a word that is straight to the point; your actions will be rectified for you and your sins will be forgiven. And whosoever obeys Allaah and His Messenger, then he has indeed

achieved a great achievement." [sooratul-Ahzaab 33:70-7

Abu Hanifah: HIS PROHIBITION FROM KALAAM(theological rethoric) AND CONTROVERSIES IN THE RELIGION:

Imaam Aboo Haneefah said, "The people of desires in al-Basrali are many, and I entered it twenty odd times, sometimes I stayed there for a year or more, or less, under the impression that the science of kalaam (theological rhetoric) was the greatest of sciences."[Manaaqib Abee Haneefah (p. 137) of al-Kurdee.]

And he said, "I used to look into kalaam, to the extent that I became highly-skilled in it, fingers were pointed at me in regards to it. And I used to sit close to the circle of Hammaad Ibn Abee Sulaymaan. So a woman came to me, so she said, `A man has a slave-woman, he wishes to set her free according to the Sunnah, how should he set her free?' So I did not know what to say, so I commanded her to ask Hammaad, then she must return and inform me. So she asked Hammaad, so he said, `He should set her free whilst she is free from menstrual periods, and complete the freeing process, then leave her until she has gone through two menstrual cycles. So when she has performed ghusl (ritual bathing), then she becomes permissible for him to

marry.' So she returned to me, so I said, `I have no need for kalaam,' and I took my shoes, so I sat with Hammaad."[Taareekh Baghdaad (13/333)]

3. And he said, "May Allaah curse 'Amr Ibn 'Ubaydah, for verily he opened up for the people a path to kalaam in that which does not benefit them in terms of kalaam."90 And a man asked him saying, `What do you say about the kalaam that he relates to the people about the nonessential characteristics (al-a'raad) and

the bodies (al-ajsaam)?' So he said, "These are philosophical statements. Stick to the athar (narration), and the path of the Salaf 91 and beware of all newly invented affairs, for verily they are innovations.[92Dhammul-Kalaam (baa/194)]

[imam Shaafi'e]HIS PROHIBITION FROM CONTROVERSIES AND KALAAM IN THE RELIGION:

1. And al-Harawee relates front ar -Rabee' Ibn Sulaymaan who said, `I heard ash-Shaafi'ee saying, `...If a man were to advise another with his books of knowledge, and amongst them were books containing kalaam, then no advice can be contained in their, because kalaam is not from knowledge.â€[Dhammul-Kalaam (qaaf/213) and it was mentioned by adh-Dhahabee in as-Siyar (10/30)]

2. And al-Harawee relates from al-Hasan az-Za'faraanee who said, `I heard ash-Shaafi'ee saying, `I have not debated with anyone using kalaam except once, and I seek forgiveness from Allaah f or that.â€[Dhammul-Kalaam (qaaf/213) and it was mentioned by adh-Dhahabee in as-Siyar (10/30)]

And al-Harawee relates from Yoonus al-Misree who said, `Ash-Shaafi'ee said, ‘It is better for a man to spend his whole life doing whatever Allaah has prohibited - besides Shirk with Allaah -rather than spending his whole life involved in kalaam.â€[Manaaqibush-Shaafi'ee (p. 182) of Ibn Abee Haatim]

Imaam Ahmed, Abu(father of) Abdullah :HIS PROHIBITION FROM KALAAM AND CONTROVERSIES IN THE RELIGION:

1. Ibn 'Abdul-Barr mentions in Jaami' Baynaanul-Ilm wa Fadlihi, from Ahmad who said, "Verily a person of kalaam will never succeed, ever. And you will never see anyone looking into kalaam, except that there is corruption in his heart.[Jaami' Bayaanul-Ilm wa Fadlihi (2/95)]

2. Ibnul Jawzee relates from Moosaa Ibn 'Abdullaah at-Tarsoosee who said, `I heard Ahmad Ibn Hanbal saying, `Do not sit with the people of kalaam, even if they are defending the Sunnah.â€[Manaaqibul-Imaam Ahmad (p. 205)]

Imam Malik:HIS PROHIBITION FROM KALAAM

Aboo Nu'aym relates from 'Abdullaah Ibn Naafi' who said, `I heard Maalik saying, `Even if a man

commits all of the major sins, except for Shirk (association) with Allaah,130 then he returns from these desires and innovations,' and he mentioned kalaam, `he enters Paradise."

And al-Harawee relates from 'Abdur-Rahmaan Ibn Mahdee who said, `I entered upon Maalik, and with

him was a man asking him. So he said, `It seems you are from the companions of 'Amr Ibn 'Ubayd. So verily he innovated his innovation with kalaam, and if kalaam had been knowledge, the Companions and the taabi'een would have spoken a bout it, just as they spoke about the rules and regulations."