Sign in to follow this  
Positive

Toosiye Scale ( Cabirka Toosiye )

Positive   

This Scale offers an easy way to look and understand the intricate means our social, religious and political aspects are webbed together. It is an illustrative tool which simplifies and makes the challenges we are facing intellectually understandable. Honestly it came to me in a dream state.

A) Description of the scale.

1. The scale is like a stick or line in horizontal position which has two ends and

marked middle.

2. It has color codes of blue which becomes stronger as it goes from the middle

of the line to the right; green which becomes stronger as it goes from the

middle to the left; and in the middle you find superimposition of the two colors I named and a

third one which is red.

3. The red in the middle quickly loses its strong tone as it mixes with blue to the right and green to

the left. That area of mixed colors is the largest compared to the green area or the blue area.

B) Further explanation of the scale.

1. The green color is representative for the Islamic sub-culture.

2. Blue for the western sub-culture.

3. The red and the area of the superimpositions is representative of traditional sub-culture and allied

members from the blue and green.

C) Characteristics of the Scale.

1. The Scale is dynamic in nature. The west end is always trying to tip the scale to its side and the east is

doing the same while the middle shows tendency to relatively slope to the tipping side.

2. The scale works best in equilibrium;

3. The extreme poles of the stick resist sudden tipping of the Scale.

D) Examples of Practical applications of the Scale.

• About Sharia governed state versus secular state.

The green (Islamic minded) want to implement Sharia, and some in the blue

(western minded) want to resist this and instead prefer Secular State.

One can say that the scale is already tipped to sharia because the middle, the color superimposed area, prefer Sharia instead of Secular State.

•National Somali State versus Global Islamic State

Again the blue are promoting the first and green the second.

The promoting of Global Islamic State in Somalia is new phenomena and the middle is not buying. The blue seem to have the upper hand in this.

• Federal States versus strong National Somali State.

It is the red (traditional minded) who are promoting the idea of a federal system; the blue and green want centralized system of government.

The traditionalists and their sympathetic allies make up the majority therefore there is nothing which can stand in their way in this.

• Somalis of other faiths can’t live inside Islamic Somali State versus religious people will be hunted

down if they do not take over the power in Somalia.

Again it is the blue and green that are circulating these ideas.

According to the Scale in both cases this could only happen if unkind and cruel elements of the far right or far left took over the power. Hunting of religious people or/and excommunicating of somalis of other faiths are unlikely to happen since the majority of the Somali people are in the middle; the traditionalists just won’t let these to happen.

The Scale is wonderful tool. Use it if you will, make it your own if you will but the least I demand is that you call it its birth name which I mentioned above.

PS I know this is dry and difficult stuff but it is the best I could offer.

The Awakener2

Positive   

Could you be more specific because you know it is not easy to present comprehensive explanation of the Scale in a forum?

If you ask specific questions I could answer by applying them to the Scale.

The Awakener2

Carafaat   

Positive, would be great if the scale could be drawn. this could visualise and illustrate it for ppl and make them understand the nuance of the greater picture and development.

Positive   

Carafaat,

I’m working on it but since you ask let me try now to simplify the scale by asking questions and giving answers.

What is the Scale for?

The Scale answers questions and proposes ideal solutions to the Somali conflict.

Why can’t the Somalis become united and forge their destiny by themselves instead of waiting help from the outside?

They are divided and fragmented!

Besides the task is dire and needs intellectual and material resources therefore the Somali elites are the best suited group to do this but first they have to unite and then the rest may follow. A united effort of those elites could pull the country out of down the rabbit hole it has been let to carelessly descend into.

The Scale claims that there are three elites in Somalia now namely, The Western Minded (blue in the scale), The Traditionalists (red) and Islamic oriented elites (green). These groups have both the resources and intellectual capacity to propose solutions and then carry out the collective recommendations of the Somali people; only when they are united could the somalis forge their destiny by themselves otherwise they may become dependent on others to make decisions on their behalf.

Who are the politically active elites in Somalia now?

Over the last 30 plus years the political tug of war have been between the Islamic Elite and Western Minded Elite while the Traditionalists have been caught in between. The traditionalists who make up not less than 2/3 of the total population have not been politically active due to the fact that they are weakened by their clan mentality which is inherently characterized by mistrust for one another. As masters of the art of compromize they have instead been working and cooperating with the other two elites while in the other hand they have been less cooperative between themselves as elite.

What may happen if the Western Minded gain the upper hand and fill the halls of power now without proper consideration or taking the Islamic elite aboard?

The Scale in Section C point 3 claims that this would bring instant reaction from the Islamic Elite. This would be clear invitation for more trouble!.

What about the opposite, if the Islamic Elite ascend to power?

The answer is the same, the Western Minded would react by instantly hitting back ( section C point 3 ); this would be again clear invitation for more trouble!

Could the Traditionalists takeover?

Yes but the Traditionalists do not prefer to take leadership positions in the highest echelons of the nation but rather choose to act as kingmakers and social servants. Besides their way of thinking sees reality in terms of clans and tribes which clearly is a damaging attribute to someone who has to become a leader for a nation.

They would rather stay in the corridors of power making advances or recommendations for members of their clan and in general work with whoever is leading the nation; they are amicable and sweet in manners unless they feel their clan/tribe is not receiving its fair share of the nations resources and/or social status (section C point 1).

It could be ideal to create The Chamber of the Elders for any future Somali National Government which could act as the upper house of the parliament; Elders for that chamber could be appointed by their clan constituencies instead of direct elections and in that way the influence of the traditionalist could be incorporated to the national decision making apparatus.

What is the ideal solution then?

The ideal and best solution is an all inclusive power sharing which accommodates the main aspirations of the elites and their social basesI

Does the Scale speak about the foreigners and their impact?

No it does not! I believe that the Somalis are capable to solve their own challenges: Somaliland has done that, Puntland has done therefore the ability is there but it is waiting to be utilized.

It just needs the will to compromize!

The Awaker2

Carafaat   

Positive,

Indeed an interesting thought. Basicly the extreme ideologies of the three corners of westernized, islamist and clannist have attracted(or abducted) the majority of Somali's. And because of the clan boundries it has become difficult for tradionalist(or moderates) to overcome these diffrences and form a majority with an own political agenda that transcends across clan lines.

I agree with you that a Guurti of Somali(tradtional or clan) Elders could form the transcending body that incooperates inclusiveness that is needed to create the incooperation of 'tradionalist'.

I think such a body(Guurti) should be Somali wide (including elders from NFD, Somali region of Ethiopia, Somaliland and Djibouti in order to facilitate inclusiveness for reaching cross border(clan) solutions. Many Somali conflicts take place around border areas and clans living across borders, for example Jubba/Azania/NFD, Gedo/Kenya/Ethiopia, Somaliland/SSC/Maakhir, Djibouti/Zeylac/Awdal, Somaliland/Hawd/Somali region of Ethiopia, Mudug/ASWJ/Ethiopia, etc. This would reduce that some Somali's feeling excluded in whatever country or State and them seeking coalition partners with across borders or even foreign support.

Such a body could really contribute in solving and/or mediating in most Somali conflicts.

What do you think?

Carafaat   

Sxb, this wait and see mentality has not worked for Somalia in the past 20 years. And I thought your idea's were to get Somalia out of its current impasse?

Positive   

Carafaat;765270 wrote:
Sxb, this wait and see mentality has not worked for Somalia in the past 20 years. And I thought your idea's were to get Somalia out of its current impasse?

The one billion dollar question is how to get out of this current impasse?

The trilogy series in this forum: The Toosiye Scale, Evolutionary Steps for Nationhood and The real roots of the Somali Conflict contain my assessments, analyses and recommendations. These series as a body are not limited to theories but clearly explain the root causes and propose solutions.

One of the radical propositions in those series is a suggestion which proposes that the TFG transfers the national legitimacy to Somaliland government (The Real Roots of the Somali Conflict in page two, Proposals for Solutions).I know this sounds naive but I lack a better suggestion. .

This is not a wild proposition but under the circumstances I feel it is a genuine and necessary one. It would be a courageous step to take and this won’t be the first time this is done for 1960 the North by putting aside their self interest and clan pride brought the precious national germ, their independence, to South without preconditions. Bringing the germ back would act as gesture of good will from South in their turn and this would undoubtedly heal wounds from the past.

In such eventuality, if nothing better can be agreed, Somaliland could act as a caretaker government for Somalia (South). Clan pride and group interests will only exacerbate the Somali suffering wherever they are therefore this is one way for the Somalis to own their cause.

Besides Carafaats suggestion about the creation of Somali National Guurti House with powers of trans-national reach, I think, this poses legal problems but Somalia and its neighbours could sort out this later when the Somalis stand on their feet. I concur though that it is necessary to create such a House.

The Awakener2

Carafaat   

Positive, your ideas are innovative and quite inventive with sold argumentation and reasoning.

I agree with you that we have an opportunity to solve the biggest issue in Somaliland (international recongnition/reconciliation/concolidation) and Somalia(a genuine peace initiative/ rebuilding the the Somali State/bottem-up/free from foreign interverence) in one road plan by, for and from Somali's themselves.

In any case I think Somaliland Goverment and specially the elders, because of their own experience, could and should play a role in an genuine reconcialation process and bottem-up state building. Because these elders are of an unique generation that has been involved in the countries running for the past four decades and slowly nearing their end of days(+/-10 years left), it would be really prefential if such an initiative would be lead and facilitated by them. Also to let them finish the cycle they have started. Otherwise we might loose the unique perspective

on things.